1. Just listened to the Atmos mix of SOS on Tidal.

Anyone feel this is an improvement over the original mix?
  2. I don't feel any need to listen to it. "Original" sos is crappy enough
  3. I prefer the ATMOS mix! But I always prefer the ATMOS mix over the stereo mix.
  4. Still don’t understand why they think it’s a good idea to play SOS in a venue like the Sphere.
  5. I think as much as the band has talked about wanting to achieve intimacy with their audience that playing some songs from SOS makes total sense in a venue like this, actually. If you can have 164,000 speakers all delivering exact, direct sound to every seat in the venue, why not play a more stripped back arrangement of a few songs?
  6. Originally posted by bpt3:[..]
    I think as much as the band has talked about wanting to achieve intimacy with their audience that playing some songs from SOS makes total sense in a venue like this, actually. If you can have 164,000 speakers all delivering exact, direct sound to every seat in the venue, why not play a more stripped back arrangement of a few songs?
    Because also have thousands of led pixels that could be putting on a spectacle with rockin versions of the songs. It’s like how the 2015 screen was underutilized to its potential.
  7. The 164,000 speakers stat is misleading. That's the amount of drivers across all the speakers, which is closer to 1,800.
  8. Originally posted by Monopoly:[..]
    Because also have thousands of led pixels that could be putting on a spectacle with rockin versions of the songs. It’s like how the 2015 screen was underutilized to its potential.
  9. The differences in the Amos mix seem to be very subtle.

For example, I notice it clearly on "One" when the multi-voice chorus-y bit kicks in - the multiple voices sound more "spread out" and separated rather than sounding like a single entity, if that makes sense.

But otherwise I don't hear a lot of difference in Atmos.

I see the Atmos mix was done by Alastair McMillan in collaboration with The Edge.
  10. I started listening to the four-record vinyl edition of Songs of Surrender when it came out. I honestly thought some of the tracks were subpar. Desire--in particular--had me getting up to move the needle.

I made a playlist recently with just the songs that are on the 16-track version (why isn't that a default option on Apple Music?).

It's my new favorite album! Every song is in its right place.

After several months of listening, I like this project more and more. But I do think some "tough love" advice on what songs made the final cut would have improved the 40-track version. Those deeper cuts could have lived on as b-sides.

On a completely different note, I will perpetually be disappointed that the liner photographs are from the archives. Seems like coming up with new images is a low bar. Even if the band couldn't get together, images of them creating this work during lockdown combined with new artwork would have been better than band photographs that don't match the timeline of when they created this work. And the contrast of three Pop-era portraits with Bono's 1980s Surrender portrait on the cover is so odd!