1. Yes, not specifically, but some musics are directly conected to books which bono had read, and also the characters from ZooTV, but this doesn't matter, is not the central point in here, my point is, in there at least Bono tryed to bring more to the lyrics, the last 3 albums are very introverteds about them, about youth and old age and this bring a kind of melancholy deeper than the usual which state some limits to the songs and inovation
  2. Originally posted by ZoopGun:[..]

Yes, not specifically, but some musics are directly conected to books which bono had read, and also the characters from ZooTV, but this doesn't matter, is not the central point in here, my point is, in there at least Bono tryed to bring more to the lyrics, the last 3 albums are very introverteds about them, about youth and old age and this bring a kind of melancholy deeper than the usual which state some limits to the songs and inovation
    I don’t think the themes are as categorical as you make them out to be. I think you’re right about the themes you mention - family, religion, spirit, loss of innocence, etc. - but the way I see it these themes are present on all U2 albums (more or less) because they seem to be themes that Bono care about. I agree that lately Bono has been somewhat ‘introvert’ though, as you say, and perhaps more direct in his songwriting. But he has been writing love songs to his wife ever since the early eighties, they’re just a little more ‘in your face’ and obvious now. Similarly, his lyrics have been influenced by literature long before Achtung Baby… although I will admit he was perhaps more direct in his referencing literature in the 90’s…
  3. Originally posted by God_Part_III:[..]
    I don’t think the themes are as categorical as you make them out to be. I think you’re right about the themes you mention - family, religion, spirit, loss of innocence, etc. - but the way I see it these themes are present on all U2 albums (more or less) because they seem to be themes that Bono care about. I agree that lately Bono has been somewhat ‘introvert’ though, as you say, and perhaps more direct in his songwriting. But he has been writing love songs to his wife ever since the early eighties, they’re just a little more ‘in your face’ and obvious now. Similarly, his lyrics have been influenced by literature long before Achtung Baby… although I will admit he was perhaps more direct in his referencing literature in the 90’s…
    Yes, I can agree with this, and that's the point, the mask from 90's brought this direct conection with books, other people, biographies and etc.and that was a good point to expand a little bit the feelings and in consequence the sonority in that time.

Right now, we have the oposite, no masks, but limited in himself / theirselves, and this have consequences in the sonority

I can give you the example of Iris and "Stars don't go" again, both pieces of the same song, I can not choose what is better, because it's two diferent languages of the same feeling, in one hand you have a love tribute in another you have a pop/rock love song, what's better? Well, it depends of the what kind of story you want to tell, in 2014 the U2 was up to tell their stories and in this case a lovely tribute to Iris Hewson, so for that "Iris" was the best choice and they kept with that in the next album and also de preview album NLOTH it was also kind introverted, so maybe is time look to the outside and do what they do better, refresh themselves.

I don't want they change all, but they don't have to set a kind of sound for an album, Achtung Baby is the best example of that, look for The Fly, it' was in diferent direction of One, we have EBTTRT and UTOTW? So Cruel and TTTYAAW? Ultraviolet and MW? WGRYWR and Acrobat? I mean, it's U2 for all the directions, Rock, Pop, Romantic, Grunge, Dance, depressed, Happyness, Angryness...

Everything for the best sound, no matter what, writting the lyrics for the sound and not the oposite.

For example, sometimes I think Vertigo, City of Blinding Lights, Miracle Drug, Until the End of The World or even Beautiful Day maybe would not have space in the albums for U2 from current days and could be end discarded

"Stars don't go" for me it's a proof that U2 is not over, they have THAT in yet. But if they WANT, or feel in it? That's is the real question.

Like human I know they're old and maybe don't want anymore the risk for leave the confortm but as fan, I am looking forward for at least a new HTDAAB
  4. Originally posted by ZoopGun:[..]
    "Stars don't go" for me it's a proof that U2 is not over, they have THAT in yet. But if they WANT, or feel in it? That's is the real question.

How does an unreleased song from at least 10 years ago say anything about the creative potential of today's U2?
  5. Originally posted by Hansav:[..]

How does an unreleased song from at least 10 years ago say anything about the creative potential of today's U2?
    Not only unreleased, but already reworked into another song that was released in 2014.
  6. It does say that U2 collaborating with an EDM or pure Pop producer sounds interesting in terms of sound/song structure. Obviously Avicii isn't around anymore but I'd love to see them work with Max Martin for example
  7. Originally posted by Hansav:[..]

Maybe because 15 years ago they were already showing the same monotony which they are showing now, so clearly the problem is not the criativity, but maybe mindset about the direction to follow in their sound, a producer can help in it, like Avicii did.
  8. I’m struggling to hear anything particularly exciting in the song with Avicii, it just sounds like an unfinished (inferior) version of Iris with a bit of a dance beat to it. It’s fine but it’s hardly worth getting excited about in terms of a new direction or in terms of quality. I’d put it above the low points of the last few albums as a decent song but nothing more and the last 2 albums have several very good/great songs on them. They’ve done this sort of stuff before, the Kygo remix of best thing was much better than this avicci effort.

9. Looks like whatever they had ready, they decided to re-record entirely. New album is further away than ever.
  10. Meh, I wouldn’t put too much stock into this one article.

However we are talking about U2, so 2024 it is!
  11. Balls to the wall etc... he already mentioned that right after JT19. On one hand i don't think they start recording end this year, but the album needs to be finished. On the other hand...it wouldn't be the first time they throw away almost everything and start all over again