1. Originally posted by SJKamal:So they could have released 5 "Songs of" albums in a row...

Songs of Innocence
    Songs of Experience
    Songs of Surrender
    Songs of [2023]
    Songs of Ascent
    Yes. I had no idea when we picked the name for U2Songs either. I registered the name back in 2003, even though we didn’t go public with it until 2015. But it seems like it was a good choice at the time.
  2. Originally posted by u2wanderer1:[..]
    Yes. I had no idea when we picked the name for U2Songs either. I registered the name back in 2003, even though we didn’t go public with it until 2015. But it seems like it was a good choice at the time.
  3. I've said it is going to come fast and furious when it happens after Covid.
  4. I did not expect a new album, but I'm getting more excited to hear the new stuff. All I hope is that it's not going to be overproduced and U2 trying to be 'relevant'. I really hope it's just 4 men playing in a room. I definitely hope that the new material will be more timeless than SOE
  5. I’m excited for the book, I’m extremely curious about the reworked songs and I’m cautiously excited for the new songs album. SOE, imo, is a low point in their discography. I wasn’t thrilled with it when it came out and over time I’ve only grown colder on it. It’s a bottom 3 for me. Hopefully it can only go up from here. Overall, exciting times with a lot to look forward to!
  6. Could Songs of Ascent involve unreleased songs recorded on different eras? (e.g from 2000-2023 and beyond)

I have the feeling that, like Mercy, they have been working on 'special' songs all these years and have been putting them aside, saving them specially for Songs of Ascent.

These 'special' songs would be the 'hymns' for eternity they had talked so much about.

Bono said at the Hozier podcast that the album is about eternity, but he also said that he doesn't know if they will ever finish it. So, I'll take a big risk here, and say that SOA could be released long after U2 is gone. It would be a way of keeping them alive. I think that would be a surprising and legendary thing to do. This way, U2, like Elvis, will still be in the building
  7. Of course, this is just my imagination, and the songs on SOA would have to be extraordinary and brilliant for this move to work. But, precisely because U2 has surprised the world on many stages of their career, I would not discard a final musical gift after the curtain comes down
  8. Ugh.... lame

God damn this is a frustrating band to be a fan of sometimes! By late 2023 it will have been 6 years since their last album.
  9. Originally posted by podiumboy:Ugh.... lame

God damn this is a frustrating band to be a fan of sometimes! By late 2023 it will have been 6 years since their last album.
    It seems to be a common theme for a lot of established bands/artists. U2 often get spoken about as if they’re alone in keeping fans waiting for new material but when you compare them to the other big names out there they do things pretty similarly. Might be different for some of the younger generations of artists who still need to build a catalogue of songs to take on future tours with them but anyone who’s already released several albums seems to take their time with the next one.
  10. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    It seems to be a common theme for a lot of established bands/artists. U2 often get spoken about as if they’re alone in keeping fans waiting for new material but when you compare them to the other big names out there they do things pretty similarly. Might be different for some of the younger generations of artists who still need to build a catalogue of songs to take on future tours with them but anyone who’s already released several albums seems to take their time with the next one.
    Definitely. Contemporaries (sort of) like Pearl Jam 2013 to 2020) and Radiohead (last album 2016) go a long time between albums these days.
  11. Throw in Metallica 2016