1. In truth, the song has always been 'overly serious'. It just is. I assume the point of these videos, which will be forgotten, is to re-contextualize these songs. U2 seem okay with that, but fans not so much. It seems the band want to cast a really wide net for the fan base. Reach all people.

I guess the fan community doesn't like this 'period piece'.
  2. Originally posted by miryclay:In truth, the song has always been 'overly serious'. It just is. I assume the point of these videos, which will be forgotten, is to re-contextualize these songs. U2 seem okay with that, but fans not so much. It seems the band want to cast a really wide net for the fan base. Reach all people.

I guess the fan community doesn't like this 'period piece'.

3. The instrumentation is…fine? But I’m not a fan of the vocals/lyric changes at all.

There’s no need for this version. They already reworked the song. The Sarajevo version was great. This is not.
  4. Okay, revising my comments: I don’t think the version on the album is different enough. If they’d recorded a version like the one on the Letterman documentary with the cello playing those high notes like the violin played on the Zoo TV version in London and Dublin in 1993, then it would have been great.

I’m open to being more okay with the new lyrics, but I want to hear why they changed it. Is it now a song about police brutality in America? That would resonate with me and make the new lyrics make sense. But I don’t understand them. Yet, at least.
  5. This version has grown on me a bit...

I really like the second guitar during the solo. Gets me thinking how much better the band could have potentially been live if they had a second guitarist in the band - I guess we'll never know.