1. I’m sure that in a year or two when Bono, Edge and Adam and Bram (or whoever) release the fantastic promised guitar album as U2, they will personally apologise to those true fans on here .. and then go sell a few million copies anyway. And tour it relentlessly to millions of other (than the true fans here) people who will no doubt mumble “it’s a shame Larry didn’t show up, but that was a helluva U2 show!

2. On the contrary, the discussions and the anger stems entirely from comparisons with other bands, so it has everything to do with it.

In one corner, are the people who hold U2 out as exceptional in having the same line up since formation and approaching 50 years. That, and the fact they have traded on that consistency and unity, is what makes U2 who they are and what drives the comparisons - they are like perhaps no other band in history. It’s a valid comparison to make.

In the other corner, are the people pointing out that other bands have lost members and survived, even thrived, gaining more success. Their point is this is all normal in the world of music. Again, it’s avalid comparison to make.

There is no neutral ground here because a comparison can’t be avoided. Whether someone cares or doesn’t care that Larry will be missing starts with how they view the stability of the band’s line up relative to other bands. Stability is at the heart of U2.
  3. Originally posted by Sydney_MIke:[..]

On the contrary, the discussions and the anger stems entirely from comparisons with other bands, so it has everything to do with it.

In one corner, are the people who hold U2 out as exceptional in having the same line up since formation and approaching 50 years. That, and the fact they have traded on that consistency and unity, is what makes U2 who they are and what drives the comparisons - they are like perhaps no other band in history. It’s a valid comparison to make.

In the other corner, are the people pointing out that other bands have lost members and survived, even thrived, gaining more success. Their point is this is all normal in the world of music. Again, it’s avalid comparison to make.

There is no neutral ground here because a comparison can’t be avoided. Whether someone cares or doesn’t care that Larry will be missing starts with how they view the stability of the band’s line up relative to other bands. Stability is at the heart of U2.
    nah - you're comparing apples and oranges

the anger stems from what U2 promised/made us believe that they are the 4 men and the only 4 men that would carry the U2 banner - we agree on that

but how U2 progress has nothing to do with other bands - just because people say it 'does' doesn't make it valid

so the stones have changed band members ad infinitum? so what? nothing to do with U2 full stop

what next? the stones only play left-handed? the stones only play stadia? the stones only tour when the year ends in a 3? the stones only release an album on a thursday?

nothing to do with U2

will U2 carry on with a new member? only U2 can decide - only them

makes no difference what the fucking stones have done
  4. Originally posted by mattfromcanada:Not sure if this has been noted - I think this will make The Edge the only member of U2 to be at every U2 show - Adam missed Sydney, Bono missed the World's Aid 2014 concert (though is that part of U2 Canon? I didn't see it in Various Shows), and Larry's set to miss the Vegas shows. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Bonos missed show doesnt count. This wasnt a touring U2 date promoting any release.

Also, Edge missing a few pre Boy dates ? Whats next ? Maybe someone didnt show up at Larrys kitchen in the very first years ?

In contrast the Sphere shows are billed, and promoted as U2 tour dates. Which is rich since 1 member is missing and the band has a history of waiting on Vertigo tour (leukemia Edges daughter) amd 360 (Bono spine surgery).
  5. Originally posted by mattfromcanada:Not sure if this has been noted - I think this will make The Edge the only member of U2 to be at every U2 show - Adam missed Sydney, Bono missed the World's Aid 2014 concert (though is that part of U2 Canon? I didn't see it in Various Shows), and Larry's set to miss the Vegas shows. Correct me if I'm wrong!
    Yes, here's proof that 3 of them missed a U2 gig 😉