2023-10-18 - Las Vegas
Tour: U2:UV Achtung Baby at the Sphere
Songs played: 24
Audio recordings: 1
  1. Originally posted by SJKamal:[..]

[..]

Songs I knew they were going to play: AB, Atomic City, Streets, WOWY. BD

Songs I assumed they were going to play: Elevation, Vertigo, ISHFWILF, Pride

Songs I had a suspicion they were going to play: All I want is you, Desire, Love Rescue Me

I also thought I saw a YouTube video titled something like "City of Blinding lights Sphere U2" so I assumed they played COBL. However, they obviously didn't so I wonder If I clicked off the page too fast and got the video title wrong.

So, the shows itself. I think I underestimated just how many people in attendance would be there for the Sphere, and not for the band themselves. Night one my section was filled with people wearing "guest" lanyards. The atmosphere was awful, and if it wasn't for Streets, it would have been my first gig ever where I would have stayed fully seated and never have stood up. Upon investigation, apparently those "guest" lanyards were given out with the Vibee packages. So, they could have been genuine fans, but I doubt it. Some were kids playing on their phones, and others were dressed up in formal attire.

Night 2 the couple next to me had travelled from Michigan to see the Sphere, and not U2, as they've been following the Sphere's development on social media. Night 3, the row of lads behind me were also there for the Sphere, and shouted "turn the screen back on" during the R&H section.

On paper the setlist itself looks pretty standard. However, I don't think any of it particularly translated well live. The opening of the show was OK, but could have been considerably better if Bono sang the "I could have lost you" snippet off stage, you see him on screen put on The Fly glasses, then the band appear from the darkness with spot lights and kick into Zoo Station, with the same visuals on the screen.

I don't think any of the AB songs sounded great live either. In fact, I think they sounded considerably better in 2018 then they did at the Sphere. I understand that the band purposely decided to not use any visuals in the R&H section, but they definitely lose the show when they do this. The reality is that it's U1.5, playing on a big TV screen, to a non U2 audience. When you get rid of the attraction people lost interest. I would defo add some visuals into that section. Doesn't have to be anything crazy. Just something calm and generic.

I don't think any of the visuals were particularly special either. The Zoo Station visuals were nice, but you could easily imagine that on the E+I screen. We've seen The Fly visuals before, apart from the ceiling falling from the sky. The Ultra Violet visuals were probably my favorite, and the Atomic City visuals was the only time I truly went "wow". I liked the Helicopter at the start of the show and the Helicopters during Vertigo too. They should have done more along those lines.

The audio really wasn't anything special either. It sounded like a normal arena. Although when I moved to section 302 for the second night, you could hear Edge a lot more clearly. It felt like he had his own audio feed broadcasted. You could hear his guitar and vocals a lot more clearly. However, when I also sat in 302 on the final night, this was all ruined with the constant feedback noise, which almost led to the band leaving the stage.

I felt the encore worked well for the most part and was the probably the highlight of the show for many. This was really the only part of the gig where the crowd was interacting. However, who's idea was it to awkwardly segue Vertigo into Streets with a MoS snippet? It feels like the band drew up the setlist and were like "crap what about Streets" and just shoved it in wherever. They would have been better off doing 2 encores, and leaving the stage after Vertigo, have some video play on the screen to segue into Streets, then come back out for the second encore.

Normally, when I leave a U2 gig I leave with many highlights, and always leave thinking "I've seen the best of U2 here". However, it's disappointing that I don't think there were any highlights, and certainly don't think I saw the best of U2 at all. It doesn't help that on night 1 Edge had guitar issues and missed the intro for Streets. Night 2 he had guitar issues during WOWY and BD, and night 3 the band almost had to leave the stage due to sound issues!

On a positive note, I did hear many songs that I've never heard before live. Trying to throw your arms around the world, All I want is you, love rescue me, so cruel, love is blindness, atomic city and Lovetown are all songs I've never heard before.
    Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. It’s great getting DIFFERENT perspectives of the show. Unfortunately there will be some here that immediately dismiss your personal experience because it’s not glowingly positive. Ridiculous but common here. I knew that the crowds would be atrocious for the most part because again whether people want to admit it or not, it’s a Vegas residency. The crowd will mostly be casual. They should DO A PROPER FUCKING TOUR and play to their fans who’ve been dying to see these songs live for decades. The atmosphere would be way better , the crowds would be better and in turn make the band better by feeding off that energy. I appreciate them opening this place but it should’ve been a month and then hit the road with AB. Whatever.
  2. Originally posted by SJKamal:[..]

[..]

Songs I had a suspicion they were going to play: All I want is you, Desire, Love Rescue Me

I also thought I saw a YouTube video titled something like "City of Blinding lights Sphere U2" so I assumed they played COBL. However, they obviously didn't so I wonder If I clicked off the page too fast and got the video title wrong.

So, the shows itself. I think I underestimated just how many people in attendance would be there for the Sphere, and not for the band themselves. Night one my section was filled with people wearing "guest" lanyards. The atmosphere was awful, and if it wasn't for Streets, it would have been my first gig ever where I would have stayed fully seated and never have stood up. Upon investigation, apparently those "guest" lanyards were given out with the Vibee packages. So, they could have been genuine fans, but I doubt it. Some were kids playing on their phones, and others were dressed up in formal attire.

Night 2 the couple next to me had travelled from Michigan to see the Sphere, and not U2, as they've been following the Sphere's development on social media. Night 3, the row of lads behind me were also there for the Sphere, and shouted "turn the screen back on" during the R&H section.

On paper the setlist itself looks pretty standard. However, I don't think any of it particularly translated well live. The opening of the show was OK, but could have been considerably better if Bono sang the "I could have lost you" snippet off stage, you see him on screen put on The Fly glasses, then the band appear from the darkness with spot lights and kick into Zoo Station, with the same visuals on the screen.

I don't think any of the AB songs sounded great live either. In fact, I think they sounded considerably better in 2018 then they did at the Sphere. I understand that the band purposely decided to not use any visuals in the R&H section, but they definitely lose the show when they do this. The reality is that it's U1.5, playing on a big TV screen, to a non U2 audience. When you get rid of the attraction people lost interest. I would defo add some visuals into that section. Doesn't have to be anything crazy. Just something calm and generic.

I don't think any of the visuals were particularly special either. The Zoo Station visuals were nice, but you could easily imagine that on the E+I screen. We've seen The Fly visuals before, apart from the ceiling falling from the sky. The Ultra Violet visuals were probably my favorite, and the Atomic City visuals was the only time I truly went "wow". I liked the Helicopter at the start of the show and the Helicopters during Vertigo too. They should have done more along those lines.

The audio really wasn't anything special either. It sounded like a normal arena. Although when I moved to section 302 for the second night, you could hear Edge a lot more clearly. It felt like he had his own audio feed broadcasted. You could hear his guitar and vocals a lot more clearly. However, when I also sat in 302 on the final night, this was all ruined with the constant feedback noise, which almost led to the band leaving the stage.

I felt the encore worked well for the most part and was the probably the highlight of the show for many. This was really the only part of the gig where the crowd was interacting. However, who's idea was it to awkwardly segue Vertigo into Streets with a MoS snippet? It feels like the band drew up the setlist and were like "crap what about Streets" and just shoved it in wherever. They would have been better off doing 2 encores, and leaving the stage after Vertigo, have some video play on the screen to segue into Streets, then come back out for the second encore.

Normally, when I leave a U2 gig I leave with many highlights, and always leave thinking "I've seen the best of U2 here". However, it's disappointing that I don't think there were any highlights, and certainly don't think I saw the best of U2 at all. It doesn't help that on night 1 Edge had guitar issues and missed the intro for Streets. Night 2 he had guitar issues during WOWY and BD, and night 3 the band almost had to leave the stage due to sound issues!

On a positive note, I did hear many songs that I've never heard before live. Trying to throw your arms around the world, All I want is you, love rescue me, so cruel, love is blindness, atomic city and Lovetown are all songs I've never heard before.

Well described, without being present at a concert in the Sphere, based on the available audio and video, I think broadly the same about it. The set list could pretty much be predicted in advance.
    The AB songs never reach the level of the Zoo TV tour again, just like the RH songs did not reach 1989/1990.
    I'm increasingly wondering how live a U2 concert is these days?

It is positive that U2 is still giving concerts again, Bono sounds quite good. Being present at a concert in Sphere will be quite a beautiful and impressive experience, but for me this whole commercial thing is not necessary.
    It may be wishful thinking, but I want a new U2 album on which U2 sounds like a band on a tour, where I hope that the music is played on stage again and that honor is also paid to the entire U2 song biography.
  3. They did a new album and tour in 2015 and 2018. Ripped up the script.

This is a sidestep and has been looming for a long time. Yes, I like new U2 tours but I can see why they did this.

The next chapter starts in Spring 2024 at some point.
  4. Originally posted by nikb:[..]
    I second your thoughts on the show. I went to the Wed 18th Oct show as well and left the show at the start of the encore. I thought the band looked great, the venue is great , I heard some of the best versions of various songs I've ever heard. But something was missing, The audience is not a U2 audience, many are tourists coming to see the venue. This dampens the atmosphere. I took the decision to leave at the start of Elevation as I'd seen what I wanted to see with the AB songs. The encore is lacklustre and didn't want to hear a lazy WOWY or Streets etc... I have the memory of the last time I heard Streets which is the best version i've ever heard which was at Croke Park 2017, I didn't want to besmirch this memory !!! This was U2 show number 32 for me, i hope its not the last. Please get out of the Sphere and tour properly again.

Why the fuck would you leave during a show?
  5. Originally posted by miryclay:They did a new album and tour in 2015 and 2018. Ripped up the script.

This is a sidestep and has been looming for a long time. Yes, I like new U2 tours but I can see why they did this.

The next chapter starts in Spring 2024 at some point.
    +1 I prefer normal tours 100% over a residency. But I like that they do these shows. And of course when a new venue with a totally new screen is opened a lot of non fans will come just to see this venue.

6. Ha that's ridiculous are you high??? I was there on the 7th and that certainly wasn't the case the crowd was so loud my ears nearly blew out.
  7. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]

Ha that's ridiculous are you high??? I was there on the 7th and that certainly wasn't the case the crowd was so loud my ears nearly blew out.
    Confirm, 7th Oct the crowd was in to it, on the 5th folks were totally lame
  8. Lame on the 5th, lame on the 18th - looks like the 7th must’ve been the one where U2 fans were out in force rather than the tourists coming to witness the Sphere.

There will be thousands attending these shows that would’ve gone if it was Coldplay or S Club opening the venue. Just accept it, not everyone there cares about U2.
  9. Interesting how it can different from
    Night to night. Hmmmmm so does that mean different people can have different experiences on a night to night basis? Or are they in fact, just high?
  10. I think your experience at a concert is very much related to how energetic and engaged are the people around you. I was lucky enough to get GA tickets for the show on Oct 11 and had a great time. There seemed to be lots of energy on the floor. But on the few occasions on previous tours that I have had seated tickets the energy has been a lot lower, and your experience can be very negatively affected by people seated close by. On the e+I tour I was seated up in the rafters for the first MSG show and the people next to me tuned out once they realized the first half of the concert was similar to the previous tour and spent the rest of the show talking over the music. The next night I was in GA and had a blast.

I could totally imagine there would be a bunch of corporate attendees for mid-week shows in Vegas. My company attends conferences in Vegas every year and has taken customers to Cirque de Soleil shows in the past - I could imagine that U2 at the Sphere being a new act would be a draw card for companies wanting to woo their conference-attending customers. Friday, Saturday and Sunday shows ought to have much less corporate attendees because the conferences don’t generally run over the weekend.
  11. Originally posted by SJKamal:[..]

[..]

I definitely agree on having calm and generic visuals during the acoustic set. If not, at least add visuals on So Cruel and Acrobat, I still can't believe they haven't added any visuals during Acrobat (yes, the turntable stage visuals are cool but they should at least be shown on the screen as well). As for the Atomic City visuals, a lot of people seem to be going 'wow' like you did, so I guess it must be pretty cool to see that in person because from the videos I've seen it doesn't seem to be so wow. The Vertigo - MoS - Streets part is indeed a bit awkward and something which doesn't seem to be 'U2' at all - they've always gone for a truly epic, larger - than - life transition and this does not seem to be that. Anyway, I'm curious to see if they're going to change anything regarding the visuals or the Streets transition on their November break.