1. Every month we put a U2 fan in the spotlights, the fan of the month January of 2024 is user Babyface93. Read along for the interview we had with this U2 fan.

"I was extremely lucky to have danced with Bono on two occasions. I told myself that night that nothing was impossible."

Tell us something about yourself, who are you and what do you do for a living?
    My name is Linda. I was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina. I now live in the United States. I own a Vintage Clothing Business, and worked for United Airlines for almost 21 years at the International Airport of Buenos Aires. Thanks to that job, I flew all over the world to see the band and met lots of people related to U2, like Naomi Campbell, Rocko Reedy, and Dennis Sheehan.

How did you become a fan of U2, tell us how it happened?
    I became a U2 Fan at the age of 13. I cannot remember how it happened, it was meant to be. Everything started with The Joshua Tree. And there was no going back.

Does anyone in your family or one of your friends like U2? If so, did they introduce you to U2, or did you "convert" them?
    Everyone in my family and friends loves/likes U2. I have converted them all into U2 lovers. When you love and feel so much for U2’s music, you cannot help but share your passion for them with your loved ones.

Tell us about your first U2 concert, what was it like?
    My first U2 show was the Zoo Tv Tour at the Joe Robbie Stadium in Miami, FL (3 October 1992) I was 18 years old and living in Argentina.

I would often travel to Miami to visit one of my best friends, Jennie. Another U2 lover. On a trip to Miami, before the concert in October, I bought SPIN magazine that had Bono on the cover (July 92) and in that interview the journalist had attached a picture of his backstage pass. So as a clever Argentine that I thought I was I made photocopies of it, and got us fake backstage passes for Jennie and I.

It got us inside the stadium no problem. We wandered for a while trying to see if we could get a glimpse of U2. Finally someone stopped us and told us that those passes were old and no longer valid. So we were invited to exit. It was actually so much fun! I was thrilled that those homemade passes got us inside.

We did meet Adam and Larry that night before the concert and they happily gave us their autograph. Amazingly no one was around, we were so happy!! What a great night. The show blew my mind, but we were so far from the stage that I told myself that the next time I would see U2 was going to be ver close!

An interesting and fun quote from Bono that night was that Miami had gone thru one of the strongest hurricanes of all times, Andrew, and I was concerned about the band not playing that gig. I remember Bono saying during the show: “I thought we had bad weather, but you guys…”

You got to dance with Bono on two occasions, tell us about the first in 1993.
    Yes I was extremely lucky to have danced with Bono on two occasions. My second U2 show was the Zooropa Tour. I had tickets for August 11th & 12th, 1993 at Wembley stadium. For both nights I was on the right side of the barricade.

I just couldn’t believe that I was there and so so so close. I had no idea what was going to happen or it had not even crossed my mind about the girls being invited to go onstage to dance with Bono.

Eric, his bodyguard at the time, approached me and asked if I wanted to dance with Bono on the next song. I was WHAT? Of course I said yes. I started to feel dizzy and excited and so nervous. Lemon was being played and the next song was Babyface.
    When the moment came, Bono stood in front of me and invited me to go up on the catwalk. I was in heaven. The rest of the world disappeared. I could feel my legs shaking. While he was singing he started filming me while I danced. Then he gave me the camcorder, so I started filming him.

He kneeled in front of me and took his jacket off. He then started to lay down on the floor, which motioned me to sit on top of him. CRAZY!!!!!!!
    I got closer to him and removed his RayBans and told him to open his eyes. I gave him a kiss on his cheek.

We got up and before going back to the crowd, he asked what my name was and where was I from.

So as I’m descending, I hear, “That’s Linda, she’s from Argentina”. I told myself that night that nothing was impossible.

Tell us about the second one in 1997, how was it different?
    The second time (hard to believe) I was in Florida with my best friends. We all had traveled to see them for the PopMart Tour, for different dates.

This was at the Municipal Stadium, Jacksonville, FL (November 12, 1997)
    We were altogether with my friends from Argentina, Uruguay and USA. Standing in front and at the end of the catwalk. I think in those days it was easier to get close to the stage. I don’t remember queuing for days like nowadays. This time was different than the first time.

Bono was singing “Velvet Dress” at the end of the catwalk and he stood in front of us, and pointed at me. I could not believe what was happening. This was like winning the lottery again. Such a dream come true. While I was standing in front of him, he took his Jaguars Jersey and put on me. We slowed dance and then I went back to my friends. I was asked to return the jersey because it had been promised to someone from the football team.

How did U2 evolve over the years with their shows and performances?
    What fascinates me about U2 is how they manage to reinvent themselves. I think the biggest and more drastic change was between Rattle and Hum and Achtung Baby. They did a 360 change.

Their shows and performances are always challenging the new and innovation. I love that about them. The images and unique structures that they create are extraordinary. They go the extra mile to bring the best show ever.

I honestly don’t need all of that. I think the band itself, doesn’t need all of that. For Us, U2 Fans, we would be so happy to see them perform LIVE just naturally. Anyways I love their shows. They are always ahead of what’s to come.

Can you tell us one song (U2 or not) that you wish you had written?
    I would have written ONE.
    A very deep dark love song. That touched me profoundly in the 90s.

How different is U2 compared to other artists that you like?
    It’s hard to explain what U2 does for me than other artists. I super love Coldplay for example, and I love their music. Songs are so beautiful. But U2 has touched my life in so many ways. Hard to describe. Their music has accompanied me thru so many moments in my life. I met incredible people from all over the world, visited so many countries. It’s just a feeling that sometimes makes it hard to explain when they are not into U2 like we are.

It’s a feeling that moved me all over and I’m so thankful for it.

What are your hobbies and interests away from U2, musical or otherwise?
    I love music. I have a 5-year-old daughter (can’t wait to bring her to a U2 show when she is older)... I love Vintage. I love thrifting and I own an Online Vintage Clothing Shop called Lindaland Vintage. I used to love traveling all over, but now I prefer to stay home. We live in the countryside. So it’s very beautiful and peaceful. As well, I have 3 U2 Tattoos, looking to get 2 more in the near future.
  2. love to read it and twice closed with Bono Lucky Girl.......
  3. Great read, thanks.
  4. Thanks for sharing Linda. What a great experience to have a second dance.
  5. What incredible memories you've made from those appearances on stage.
  6. Fellow Virginian here, what a great read and incredible memories you have made. Thank you for sharing your stories with everyone.
  7. Great read, thanks for sharing. What's weird is just the other day I was watching a youtube video of that 1993 Wembley show, and I remembered a girl being onstage with Bono during Babyface. After seeing the picture you posted, I watched it again. The video/audio quality is poor, but it's clearly you!

8. I was at both those London shows. I think I remember Linda from Argentina! Also famously Salman Rushdie appeared on stage with Mr.Macphisto.

Thanks fur sharing!