1. Originally posted by drewhigginsEspecially when it's changed for reference to your town like Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney etc. That's the bits I like.

Hmm i think that's kinda stupid from U2... Bono always says at a concert the country they are at (or city) at the moment, is a great/ the gréatest city/country there is... And everybody believes what he says and the crowd goes nuts...
    One of the few things i regret from the band...
  2. Originally posted by BelgianBonoOne of the few things i regret from the band...
    I think it's great. The audience needs to be "loved" by the band, a band is not a group who arrive, play and go...
  3. I think it's great.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I've ever heard Bono tell a heinous lie, i.e. saying something generic "you're the best city" and then repeat it the next night.

He'll repeat stuff that's true for every city, like "you've given us a great life." Or on several LoveTown shows he repeated the "East Germany, Poland" bit because it was relevant to the crowd. Or he'll say something unique to the city, "I fell in love in Chicago..."

And then of course, there are the U2 concerts that actually affect a city in a social / political way, like Sarajevo, Santiago & Buenos Aires... Elevation leg 3 New York, etc., though those usually speak for themselves.
  4. Originally posted by u2met86I think it's great.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I've ever heard Bono tell a heinous lie, i.e. saying something generic "you're the best city" and then repeat it the next night.

He'll repeat stuff that's true for every city, like "you've given us a great life." Or on several LoveTown shows he repeated the "East Germany, Poland" bit because it was relevant to the crowd. Or he'll say something unique to the city, "I fell in love in Chicago..."

And then of course, there are the U2 concerts that actually affect a city in a social / political way, like Sarajevo, Santiago & Buenos Aires... Elevation leg 3 New York, etc., though those usually speak for themselves.

Well i do love it when he says eg "You're giving us a great life" or "We like it here" or "Great city" etc
    It's necessary to love your fans and i believe they really do love them; otherwise they shouldn't do this for about 27 years...
    But just not saying every night it's the greatest place... But maybe, as you say, that's not so frequent, i don't know exactly...
  5. Originally posted by LikeASong[..]I think it's great. The audience needs to be "loved" by the band, a band is not a group who arrive, play and go...

You said all LikeASong!
  6. Originally posted by BelgianBono[...]But just not saying every night it's the greatest place... But maybe, as you say, that's not so frequent, i don't know exactly...
    I have only heard this onceIn Dublin. And it's true, Dublin is the best for U2. Other times I've heard "You're great" or "Beautiful city", but never "You're the greatest".
  7. By the way, another fantastic banter: in the concert in Denver, 7th November 1987, Bono stops singing in the middle of New Year's Day and reminds the audience that U2 had played there 4 years ago, and recorded Under A Blood Red Sky there. He says "Mountains and deserts" and that's why the bootleg is called so.
    Fantastic banter, the audience loved it...
  8. Originally posted by LikeASong[..]I think it's great. The audience needs to be "loved" by the band, a band is not a group who arrive, play and go...

Agree... although there are many bands right now who forget this.. But U2 always does this, and that's amazing!
  9. I love the one banter of the show here in Brazil during Vertigo Tour ,before I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking for when Bono speaks in Portuguese
    "Copa do Mundo...prontos para o hexa?...U2 é irlandes...Deus é brasileiro!"

It's something like : World Cup...Are you ready for the 6th championship?...We(U2) are Irishpeople..and God is brazilian!

after this Bono starts to talk about many states of Brazil:"Bem vindo Amapá.bem vindo Bahia..."
    that means: Welcome Amapá,welcome Bahia...

see you friends!!
  10. "wearing the number 7 shirt - even his mother calls him The Edge" elevation boston dvd (i think).
    "its jason mcateer" slane dvd.
    the first i think is really funny and the second is a reference to the time ireland beat holand in landsdowne road in a world cup qualifier (im a huge soccer fan!)

11. Originally posted by LikeASong[..]I have only heard this onceIn Dublin. And it's true, Dublin is the best for U2. Other times I've heard "You're great" or "Beautiful city", but never "You're the greatest".

Well i've heard it before but don't mind it, or i'm going to sound like "Bono's lying" which i don't want to say

U2 loves their fans and the fans love U2, anytime, anyplace
    (but only one place can be the best )
  12. Originally posted by BelgianBono[..]
    Well i've heard it before but don't mind it, or i'm going to sound like "Bono's lying" which i don't want to say

i'm sorry BelgianBono, i didn't mean to put words in your mouth there
    (...nobody here taking orders / when love took a train heading south sorry i couldn't resist, i should be slapped)

...ANYwho...

though i've never felt that what bono's banter is an issue, i very much understand your point.

---

i know i'm gonna sound like i'm angrily defending bono now (also which i don't mean to do), but just to toss out some other interpretations, perhaps a phrase like "you're the best" either 1) refers to the U2 audience at large, or 2) is used as an expression, not comparing one city to another (i.e. "thanks for helping me out! you're the best" is not meant to belittle other people, just used to express extreme gratitude to one particular person)