1. I think it wuds been dropped for the Vertigo Tour if it hadnt have been for the One campaign and all that and it gave Bono a chance to ramble on. Kinda hard to pick up the pace after a 7-8 minutes speech that lets face it not a lot of people want to hear. Best versions for me are the outside of Tour performances. The orchestral versions and the Special Olympics version is awesome.
  2. Originally posted by germcevoyAgree with Remy. ZooTV is the only bootlegs where I dnt skip One ands its especially bad on the Vertigo Tour
    Well, it was me who spoke about Zoo TV haha.
    Originally posted by RemyYeah the Vertigo version was as worse as it can be, with the 'oooooneee oooonee oooone' ending, how pathetic is that! They really should stop performing the song in future tours, it's best time is ended a long time ago.
    I agree... But a lot of new fans were hooked by One ft. Mary J Blidge, and just because of that we're going to have One's for maaaany moooooore concerts... It's also a very special song for the band so they won't be retiring it anytime soon I think.
    Originally posted by germcevoyKinda hard to pick up the pace after a 7-8 minutes speech that lets face it not a lot of people want to hear.
    That's one of the problems of the Poverty: not many people want to hear about it...
    But I think that it's neccesary to hear... Perhaps in a stadium is not the rightest place, but at least it is something.
  3. Originally posted by LikeASong[..]That's one of the problems of the Poverty: not many people want to hear about it...
    But I think that it's neccesary to hear... Perhaps in a stadium is not the rightest place, but at least it is something.

You're the man LikeASong...I said something like this in an e-mail that I wrote to sadb7788 today...If you want to send me an e-mail send me...just ask for it or search in the forums...I wrote it in some place there
  4. Originally posted by Remy[..]

Yeah, at my 2 concerts One was the most boring song of the evening, the most worse song of all. Though the phone moment was cool the song sucked. I always skip One when I'm listening to a bootleg, it has nothing special IMHO.

Yep, I think it´s overplayed. They should make some arragements, cause it's the same everytime, even in those all those 'altenate' versions, like in the Pavarotti record, the Washington New year´s Eve, mary J. Blinge...
  5. yeah i must confess too, i always ignore one I only listen 2 the speak on the bootleg and ignore it. I only like the Pavarotti one
  6. I can understand the reasons because of which you "dislike" One, but I don't. I listen to it every time it's played by my Media Player and I can't jump across neither Bono's speeches.
    I consider the moment of One one of the most emotional of a U2 concert.

7. One is a very very very good song...actually, it could be their best. Awesome lyrics, awesome sounds...just brilliant.
  8. Originally posted by MWSAHOne is a very very very good song...actually, it could be their best. Awesome lyrics, awesome sounds...just brilliant.
    I don't consider it as one of their bests, but I nkow it is VERY good... But as the greatest ballad I still prefer Stay.
  9. I can't stand One in live, overplayed for me, the only good versions are Mexico, Sydney and the orchestral version on the Miss Sarajevo single. I prefer way better the album version.
  10. Originally posted by theedge123I can't stand One in live, overplayed for me, the only good versions are Mexico, Sydney and the orchestral version on the Miss Sarajevo single. I prefer way better the album version.

Hmm haven't heard that earlier. In my opinion the album version is to overproduced, the raw sounds live sound better in my opinion. But I respect yours! And of course the best version besides those you already mentioned is Slane.
  11. I can understand how you guys feel about One and how its Vertigo tour performance is not quite up to its Zoo TV performance but I have to say I don't agree that its life is over and it should be shelved in their catalogue and left to itself. I'm completely against that.

One is a song that really means a lot to me, its the song that opened my eyes to U2 and what songs can really do and what they can mean. It's a gorgeous song with lyrics both universally broad and intimately personal at the same time. Amazingly enough, the music (not just the Edge but the bass & drums as well) perfectly reflect the singer's doubt, self-searching and climatic longing for something more.

Bono has said many times, their songs' growth doesn't just end with the album but continue to evolve as the band evolves. This meaning and sense of struggle really is well captured in the song, not just in the album version but live as well and when it came out, it really came across with a message.

Yes, 'One' Zoo TV was one of its peaks and the live orchestrated version as well but it has evolved I think into something different now. The song has a very powerful message and the boys are trying to use that message and that melody and that attachment people have with it to bring out a message of injustice in the world. And why not? When you hear the speeches Bono gives, it only seems detract people who just want him to shut up and sing. And I for one, don't. Yeah he rambles sometime but he's got a message that he doesn't want people to miss. It's like when you first hear Until the End of the World and you think its about a man and a woman, only to find out its a song about Judas, you see it in a different light, through a different lens. He wants this song to be seen through a certain lens and if you meet him halfway make the effort, I think the message comes across beautifully.

I'm sure the sound they are working towards in their next album is going to be among their best and I would love to see what One becomes for that tour and the Vertigo tour version of One is not the best its been but I wouldn't have it any other way. If the band went through Pop and Zooropa to get to ATYCLB and HTDAAB, then who knows where One can go through the Vertigo Tour?

I would absolutely hate to see a U2 tour without this song.

(sorry for the huge speech, I just have a thing for this song and get really defensive about it sometimes... )
  12. Originally posted by rmann83The song has a very powerful message and the boys are trying to use that message and that melody and that attachment people have with it to bring out a message of injustice in the world. And why not? When you hear the speeches Bono gives, it only seems detract people who just want him to shut up and sing. And I for one, don't. Yeah he rambles sometime but he's got a message that he doesn't want people to miss.
    Well, that's another thing I'll never understand about One.
    WHY is it used for No Poverty message? It is a love (or anti-love) song!!