1. Originally posted by rmann83[..]

Actually, the bar video was the last of the three to be filmed. That's why they used stocked live footage at the end. The first to be filmed was the berlin video with the band in drag and Bono's father. The song very much was about the HIV crisis at that point as well.

http://www.music-videos.duncans.tv/2006/u2-one-music-videos/

And in U2 by U2, Bono specifically quotes that the chorus came from a message he was sending to the Dali lama when invited to a Oneness (campaign was it?) and he sent a message back saying "one, but not the same'.

Sorry mate, I don't mean to step on ya toes or anything and I can totally understand your view. But as Bono says in the Vertigo Tour when introducing the song 'To be one is a great thing but to respect difference is even greater'. Definitely the song's central theme is diversity.

Oh, seems like a lot versions have been around. I got the info I gave to you from the BP Fallon book. I've gone to check it out. Now, you're partially right, the Berlin footage was first filmed but it wasn't meant to be a promotional video. It was meant to be running at the Zoo TV screens along with the song (same goes to the buffalo version). The promotional was to be the bar version, eventually was changed.

Now, I don't think diversity is the central theme on the song. I'd rather think that was the central theme on David Wonjarowicz's work and the song was brought into that by association, like Born in the USA is about how mean the soldiers at Vietnam were treated, but in some part has become a patriotic anthem. For instance, the sentence you mention comes from the Vertigo tour, had diversity be the theme, something similar should appear ever since Zoo TV. But I think it makes no sense to theorize about it, there too many years since the original inttentions.

2. It is a snippet...
  3. Just watched the Modena ‘95 performance of One and am bringing up an rather old thread….

I’m sure the majority of us adore this verse/snippet/tag (whatever you want to call it) but what do you all think it means - or, at least, what, if anything, do the lyrics mean to you?

In case you need a refresher (doubt it) …

You hear us coming Lord?
    You hear us call?
    You hear us knocking, knocking at Your door?
    You hear us coming, Lord?
    You hear us call?
    You hear us scratching, will You make me crawl?

Has the band ever discussed it?
  4. Perhaps a reference or allusion to Matthew 19: 24-26.
  5. I’m not sure what it means, but I am 100% sure it elevates the song to another level live. It’s right there with “Shine like stars” to close WOWY - makes live versions 1000% more special and memorable.

I have what I think is a fan mix called One (Redux Mix) that has the snippet added on to the end - it’s my go-to version of the song. Adore it.
  6. Originally posted by ap5:I’m not sure what it means, but I am 100% sure it elevates the song to another level live. It’s right there with “Shine like stars” to close WOWY - makes live versions 1000% more special and memorable.

I have what I think is a fan mix called One (Redux Mix) that has the snippet added on to the end - it’s my go-to version of the song. Adore it.
    Hmmm....I'll have to hunt down that Redux Mix you speak of... Hope it isn't too hard to find!
  7. This?

24 And again I say unto you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the Kingdom of God.”

25 When His disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, “Who then can be saved?”

26 But Jesus beheld them and said unto them, “With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

Man, I really gotta read The Bible.
  8. Originally posted by RUMMY:[..]
    This?

24 And again I say unto you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the Kingdom of God.”

25 When His disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, “Who then can be saved?”

26 But Jesus beheld them and said unto them, “With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

Man, I really gotta read The Bible.
    I always thought the "Hear us coming, Lord" snippet was alluding to one or many of the Psalms in the Bible. Bono has talked often about how the honesty and vulnerability of the psalms strike a chord with him spiritually. Psalm 4 or 17, for example, are great examples of the writer crying out to God "how long...?"
  9. Originally posted by bpt3:[..]
    I always thought the "Hear us coming, Lord" snippet was alluding to one or many of the Psalms in the Bible. Bono has talked often about how the honesty and vulnerability of the psalms strike a chord with him spiritually. Psalm 4 or 17, for example, are great examples of the writer crying out to God "how long...?"
    Very interesting/informative. Thank you!
  10. Originally posted by RUMMY:Just watched the Modena ‘95 performance of One and am bringing up an rather old thread….

I’m sure the majority of us adore this verse/snippet/tag (whatever you want to call it) but what do you all think it means - or, at least, what, if anything, do the lyrics mean to you?

In case you need a refresher (doubt it) …

You hear us coming Lord?
    You hear us call?
    You hear us knocking, knocking at Your door?
    You hear us coming, Lord?
    You hear us call?
    You hear us scratching, will You make me crawl?

Has the band ever discussed it?

Always figured it was like something about begging to get into heaven, a dying person asking will you make me beg to get into heaven. Probably ties in to man/women theme originally, like the man asking forgiveness from the women
  11. Originally posted by Remy:[..]

Not for me, I don't see the purpose of it, 9 of the 10 live versions of One I play have it anyway. But One live sucks too, so why would anyone want to know it

U2-vertigo-tour.com has his own rules for snippets, and I'm sure it's been suggested many times. And I agree with them that it's no use.

One sucks live lol. One of the funniest posts I have ever seen you make lol. Even if I had been to the 9,212 shows you were at, I could not say that. Now I will say that the Vertigo Tour versions were the worst of the worst, but on 360 for the first few legs, it was pretty impressive, even though the Tutu bit got a little stale. On the later legs, he seemed to struggle more. The smoking he did probably is a major factor, but who knows?

To me, saying One sucks live is kinda like saying Streets or WOWY sucks live lol. Now Elevation and Beautiful Day are open game ha! Though to be honest, Elevation sounds great, it is just a bit stale when you've sorted through a billion versions. Hearing Bono Croaking his way through the first verse of BD is a bit painful.