1997-09-23 - Sarajevo
Tour: Popmart
Songs played: 25
Audio recordings: 3
Videos: 1
  1. Of the concert
  2. It's in the book. Some of the ZOO TV relays were harrowing. I recall one show where a young girl was singing Let It Be. The next concert Bill was telling us that she had been killed in a mortar attack to the building complex she lived in.
    I couldn't carry on listening to that concert after that. I wondered why the hell U2 would broadcast these during the show and can now see they will stand as part of history and for bringing truth to the world where the media was operating under a D notice.
    The band are to be applauded for doing such things even though it put a turn on the concert after the broadcasts. Made you go away and think hard about many things.
    Originally posted by kris_smith87:[..]
    This would be a great read... I still can't forget that part in U2 At The End of the World where Carter tells the story about the soldiers putting a baby ib the oven.
  3. Originally posted by ELIZIUM:It's in the book. Some of the ZOO TV relays were harrowing. I recall one show where a young girl was singing Let It Be. The next concert Bill was telling us that she had been killed in a mortar attack to the building complex she lived in.
    I couldn't carry on listening to that concert after that. I wondered why the hell U2 would broadcast these during the show and can now see they will stand as part of history and for bringing truth to the world where the media was operating under a D notice.
    The band are to be applauded for doing such things even though it put a turn on the concert after the broadcasts. Made you go away and think hard about many things.[..]
    It's amazing actually. I have spoken about U2 when I teach the Social Justice course in high school.
  4. I just came here after I saw their twitter account.

This has to be the first time in YEARS we've seen anything from the U2 camp regarding Popmart hahaha. Maybe since the Mexico DVD came out.

5. Maybe not One, but also best version of LNOE and the best Streets of the tour.
    Please in Sarajevo could be the peak of live U2 for me, along with OTH at the Point Depot in 89.
  6. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:I just came here after I saw their twitter account.

This has to be the first time in YEARS we've seen anything from the U2 camp regarding Popmart hahaha. Maybe since the Mexico DVD came out.
    Yes yes yes! This is historical. U2 acknowledging Pop.
  7. A video message from Bono to commemorate the 20th anniversary of Popmart Sarajevo including Miss Sarajevo live 2017:

8. Acknowledging the show and the end of the war... refers to Popmart Tour 97/98 as 'that' tour...
  9. I'm fairly sure Bono didn't pick up his iPhone and went to instagram to post that. Someone from their social management did it. I was joking that the band must have been surprised (aka "eyes hurt") to see a post aknowledging Popmart.
  10. Still, that official management posted about Popmart without a fan or reporter asking them about Pop is remarkable. Granted, it was more a post about Sarajevo than about the tour, but on previous years there wasn't even a peep about this period.
    Does this mean that Pop will be played again finally? No, but it was a bone they threw at us and I appreciate it.