1. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]
    Yeah, once you really start thinking of the stuff U2 has in their vault, these subscriber gifts really are pretty shitty.

Where's the Point Depot DVD? They should be giving us those shows that they obviously don't think would generate them much money if they were to officially release them.

Could've had official DVDs of:
    -Stockholm 1992
    -Dortmund 1984
    -So many damn shows that were obviously filmed for Rattle and Hum
    -Point Depot '89
    -Etc.

Just a bit of a major bummer lol. Even if they wanted to stick with vinyls, where's the live Sydney vinyl?

Call me entitled if you want, but these things aren't free. In a year when I'm not using my sub to buy any tickets, I'm paying about $50 a year for...a vinyl of Rattle and Hum remixes? Honestly I wouldn't buy it if it showed up in stores. I wish they would think of it that way: "is this gift worth the subscriber fee for a fan who's not using the presale code?"
    You’re spot on about them not being free. Someone had argued that point before about them being a ‘gift’. I did do ok this year with the code and it saves a bit of the hassle of worrying about getting a ticket but if it was really a gift then it would be free to join u2.com in non tour years and you would still receive the ‘gift’ because apart from the gift you don’t get anything else or certainly not anything to the value of the subscriber fee.
  2. Yeah good debate , Stones website is free and you get ticket priority/ notifications etc.
    I'd rather that than some crappy "gift" for $50
  3. Originally posted by Timk68:Yeah good debate , Stones website is free and you get ticket priority/ notifications etc.
    I'd rather that than some crappy "gift" for $50
    Wouldn’t it be nice if they actually did give us a ‘gift’ like some free downloads from the tour or perhaps some full videos of songs instead of the 20 second clips we get. Obviously this would be as well as whatever physical item they send out that we are effectively paying for anyway.
  4. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]
    Yeah, once you really start thinking of the stuff U2 has in their vault, these subscriber gifts really are pretty shitty.

Where's the Point Depot DVD? They should be giving us those shows that they obviously don't think would generate them much money if they were to officially release them.

Could've had official DVDs of:
    -Stockholm 1992
    -Dortmund 1984
    -So many damn shows that were obviously filmed for Rattle and Hum
    -Point Depot '89
    -Etc.

Just a bit of a major bummer lol. Even if they wanted to stick with vinyls, where's the live Sydney vinyl?

Ok, while I agree they should use their vaults for some releases. The ones you listed are probably not happening.

Stockholm was filmed just like the rest of the Zoo TV indoor tour. It was simply broadcast to John in England who shared the copy he received from MTV. It does not have the production for an official release. They may have shot more production on an indoor show (IE more cameras), they would use that over Stockholm.

Dortumund 84 was not filmed by U2, it was a TV special that U2 does not own the rights to. Could they get them? Probably, but for a fan gift? Doubt it.

The infamous Point Depot pro shot should be released debate. It was filmed, but not completely and a large portion of it was deemed unsuitable for any kind of release by the band. So, not happening, most likely ever.

Now, they could release the Sydney 89 pro shot which had full production. I believe they do have the rights to that footage. But I think they would attach that to some type of bonus Blu Ray on a Rattle and Hum box set release if that ever happened.

I think what they could realistically do that would not be cost prohibitive for a fan club release is some vintage audio recordings from older tours. They have it all archived and could do minimal production on the recordings for release (the Marque Club release was encouraging). Then they went back to remix BS which isnt awful, but 3 songs? Which already had basically the same remix already? That is lame.
  5. Originally posted by Blue_Room:[..]

Ok, while I agree they should use their vaults for some releases. The ones you listed are probably not happening.

Stockholm was filmed just like the rest of the Zoo TV indoor tour. It was simply broadcast to John in England who shared the copy he received from MTV. It does not have the production for an official release. They may have shot more production on an indoor show (IE more cameras), they would use that over Stockholm.

Dortumund 84 was not filmed by U2, it was a TV special that U2 does not own the rights to. Could they get them? Probably, but for a fan gift? Doubt it.

The infamous Point Depot pro shot should be released debate. It was filmed, but not completely and a large portion of it was deemed unsuitable for any kind of release by the band. So, not happening, most likely ever.

Now, they could release the Sydney 89 pro shot which had full production. I believe they do have the rights to that footage. But I think they would attach that to some type of bonus Blu Ray on a Rattle and Hum box set release if that ever happened.

I think what they could realistically do that would not be cost prohibitive for a fan club release is some vintage audio recordings from older tours. They have it all archived and could do minimal production on the recordings for release (the Marque Club release was encouraging). Then they went back to remix BS which isnt awful, but 3 songs? Which already had basically the same remix already? That is lame.
    Fair enough. As far as production for official release though, this wouldn't really be that, would it?

You're probably right of course, but it's just a damn shame. Audio recordings can get boring for me, whereas videos I can watch over and over. But either way, we should be getting SOMETHING better than what we are.

I've also no doubt they have video for stuff we have no idea about lol.
  6. They must have plenty of videos from the last few years where as I mentioned above they’ve been giving us 20 second clips, would it be fair to assume they’ve at the very least got the full songs of these along with perhaps full shows just not with the extent of camera footage the eventual dvd show gets.
  7. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]
    Fair enough. As far as production for official release though, this wouldn't really be that, would it?

You're probably right of course, but it's just a damn shame. Audio recordings can get boring for me, whereas videos I can watch over and over. But either way, we should be getting SOMETHING better than what we are.

I've also no doubt they have video for stuff we have no idea about lol.
    Of course they have stuff we do not know about. They have unofficially done more production on a lot of shows they were never planning to release. IE Dublin 2 from Vertigo. Full production, no plan for release, ever. Testing and personal use for the band, crew, etc.

Funny, I like the audio stuff better. I do not have the time to sit down and watch a full show very often. Whereas audio I can listen to in my car or while doing a project around the house. It has more utility to me.
  8. Originally posted by deanallison:They must have plenty of videos from the last few years where as I mentioned above they’ve been giving us 20 second clips, would it be fair to assume they’ve at the very least got the full songs of these along with perhaps full shows just not with the extent of camera footage the eventual dvd show gets.
    Yes, every show since Elevation has been filmed and archived. All audio of every show has been archived since 1982. So yes, they have quite a vault.
  9. Originally posted by Blue_Room:[..]
    Yes, every show since Elevation has been filmed and archived. All audio of every show has been archived since 1982. So yes, they have quite a vault.
    1982?! I’d always thought it was only since ZooTV.

That’s insane...and worse
  10. Got the gift today. How did it go from U22 and From the Ground Up to this?
    Really disappointed.
  11. Great point. I'd take a CD of recent live performances every time!
  12. quiza lo mejor seria que algn año
    el regalo sea un show full pro-shot
    a elegir por el usuario.
    (via online).