1. Originally posted by EthanD:I can see what will happen here..
    The bluray/4k version will be released to the public and some months later the fan club people will still be waiting for their DVD copy....
  2. Originally posted by EthanD:I can see what will happen here..
    The bluray/4k version will be released to the public and some months later the fan club people will still be waiting for their DVD copy....

Brutal but probably accurate.
  3. I want to be wrong, but if they made this a gift, it makes no sense to launch it commercially to the sales public.
  4. Are we getting a bit too snobby these days about picture quality? I know it’s good to have the best quality possible but dvd was fine before blu Ray came out, most u2 shows aren’t in blu Ray and we still enjoyed them. Dvd is still the number 1 seller so I can sort of understand the decision making over blu Ray especially when people with blu Ray players can still play dvd on them but it doesn’t work the other way round. Don’t get me wrong cost I’m sure has come into it as well but just because it’s not the best possible format doesn’t make it a bad gift. I’m not saying u2.com are in the clear yet, releasing it on blu Ray commercially will make it the worst gift but if not then we’re getting a dvd of a show that’s not been released before.
  5. The whole point of being a member of a fan club is to get access to material not made available publicly. Even if Zoo-TV and Go Home were public releases, an audio version wasn't (Yes, yes, I know you clever people can rip audio from DVD but you know my point).
  6. Originally posted by deanallison:Are we getting a bit too snobby these days about picture quality? I know it’s good to have the best quality possible but dvd was fine before blu Ray came out, most u2 shows aren’t in blu Ray and we still enjoyed them. Dvd is still the number 1 seller so I can sort of understand the decision making over blu Ray especially when people with blu Ray players can still play dvd on them but it doesn’t work the other way round. Don’t get me wrong cost I’m sure has come into it as well but just because it’s not the best possible format doesn’t make it a bad gift. I’m not saying u2.com are in the clear yet, releasing it on blu Ray commercially will make it the worst gift but if not then we’re getting a dvd of a show that’s not been released before.
    https://u2start.com/topic/by-post/719331/
  7. Dean, at my age and with my eyesight, blu-ray and 4K is wasted on me.
  8. The picture quality on the official dvd is worse I’ve seen that before but zoo tv and Popmart won’t look any better yet most of us enjoy they DVD’s. The music is the most important thing anyway, yes I would rather have a better picture but it isn’t the main thing. Not everyone has a blu Ray player and it isn’t the #1 seller.
  9. I agree it's not exactly the most exciting gift but a few people are going over the top.

$40 for the DVD plus an extra book + whatever else happens during the year is just fine. To compare this, a tour program (e.g. just a book) is usually $30 to $40. It's $40 if you want to buy the U2start calendar! Don't see any issue with the value of the subscription.

For all those saying its just about LiveNation trying to make $$ out of it do some simply maths. Say there are 100,000 subscribers (and I think that would be a giant overestimation) and there is a 5% profit margin then they only make $200,000. This isn't a lot compared to anything else they do (album release, a single show etc...) and again I think is a massive overestimation.

Time to calm the farm!
  10. I can't believe the news today
    Oh, I can't close my eyes
    And make it go away

My subscription (since 2004) was due February 16th but has been forwarded to February 29th.
    For only € 36,- I’m happy with the DVD, so I’m gonna renew.
  11. Originally posted by deanallison:Are we getting a bit too snobby these days about picture quality? I know it’s good to have the best quality possible but dvd was fine before blu Ray came out, most u2 shows aren’t in blu Ray and we still enjoyed them. Dvd is still the number 1 seller so I can sort of understand the decision making over blu Ray especially when people with blu Ray players can still play dvd on them but it doesn’t work the other way round. Don’t get me wrong cost I’m sure has come into it as well but just because it’s not the best possible format doesn’t make it a bad gift. I’m not saying u2.com are in the clear yet, releasing it on blu Ray commercially will make it the worst gift but if not then we’re getting a dvd of a show that’s not been released before.
    U2 has always been innovative and in some cases also with technology. I haven't bought a DVD in almost ten years. It's a little disappointing for me, yes. 10 years ago they launched the 360 show in FullHD, and why did they go back now? I find this strange. And I don't see it as a gift, because we pay 50 dollars, and this year we will not have any tours. at least that's what I think. Other point. U2 has millions of fans around the world, and not even 1% are subscribers. Won't they have the show?