1. i know its from the How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb Sessions and its mentioned in the deluxe How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb book but where did it appear from.

its not on Unrealeased & Rare or as far as i know did not appear as a b-side

2. You're right - it never was a B-Side and it wasn't on the iTunes set.

I don't honestly know how it ended up on the net - one of those mysterious leaks that appear from kind people...

The band know it's out there because I remember someone asking Edge about it once and him looking surprised and then saying that it wasn't finished. Bono has mentioned it too.

I'm sure someone here has the answer you're looking for
  3. Bono handed out a pre-release version of HTDAAB where Mercy was still included to a fan and that way it leaked on the net.
    At least that's what I remember... check interference, the story is there somewhere.
  4. theres a video i made
  5. Originally posted by yeahBono handed out a pre-release version of HTDAAB where Mercy was still included to a fan and that way it leaked on the net.
    At least that's what I remember... check interference, the story is there somewhere.

interesting
    what the web address for this site?
  6. Originally posted by yeahBono handed out a pre-release version of HTDAAB where Mercy was still included to a fan and that way it leaked on the net.

interesting...
    thanks for the tip!!
  7. just checked out the book and hes right.....mid way through the book is a track listing....i wonder was this the original track listing for the htdaab that bono handed out?? and if you turn to the next page lo and behold theres the lyrics to mercy!!

8. theres another page of mercy lyrics on the other side of the book too.....so why did they leave it out? surely they couldve put both mercy and fast cars on .......it wouldve only made the album stronger ....if that could be possible!!!
  9. http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=interference.com+mercy&btnG=Search&meta=

The first and second results are what you want. Some people say it's on Unreleased and Rare. That was only officially sold through iTunes and didn't include Mercy at all. So currently, it stands only as a digital release but Apple nor the fans knew about it until the leak in 2004.

From Wikipedia:

In late 2004, Mercy, an unreleased track taken from the How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb sessions, surfaced on the Internet through a fan (U2SJ at Interference) who had been given a copy of the album containing the extra track. The track is of less than standard audio quality, but managed to become a favorite on fan websites. Singer Michael W. Smith joined the band in the studio during the Atomic Bomb sessions and worked on at least one track with them entitled North Star. That track, which was a tribute to Johnny Cash, has not yet surfaced officially or unofficially in any form.

I'd like to hear North Star. And quite simply, the original HTDAAB would have consisted of the alternate iTunes tracks, Mercy and North Star. Plus, maybe as well:

North Star
    If I Could Live My Life Again
    Love Is All We Have Left
    Lead Me In The Way I Should Go
    You Can't Give Away Your Heart
  10. Drew where did these other songs come from or where did you hear about them?? i got an advance copy of htdaad but it only had 11 tracks on it not 12!! guess they were undecided on the 12 track.....hope we dont have to wait for another 17 odd years to hear those tracks!!
  11. Originally posted by patrickwaldronDrew where did these other songs come from or where did you hear about them?? i got an advance copy of htdaad but it only had 11 tracks on it not 12!! guess they were undecided on the 12 track.....hope we dont have to wait for another 17 odd years to hear those tracks!!

www.atu2.com under the new album link