1. Originally posted by wtshnnfb01You always have the best storys. Who the hell is AJ?

Not to get all "Zelig" about things but here's two more U2 true tales.
    STORY # 1:
    Shout out for me before "Even Better Than The Real Thing" ?- ZOOTV New Jersey:
    I'd gone to the East Coast with Melissa whilst she was looking for apartments for college. Timing worked out great and we got tickets for the first four Outside Broadcast shows - 2 in New Jersey and 2 in DC. We'd heard about the rehearsals that were to be in Hershey so we went to check it out. The first day, we listened from outside. Later in the day, we got inside the stadium for a peek. That day we were told to come back the next for the dress rehearsal. Fantastic! We'd met Bono that day and I got to talk to him a bit. One of the things we talked about was UltraViolet and Even Better Than The Real Thing. I told him how both songs meant a lot to me and were instant classic in my book.

We met him again before the show in NJ. Melissa got a few pictures and we talked briefly. Listen to the bootleg of that show 9-12-1992... what your hear at the beginning of Even Better Than The Real Thing is "Okay Jeff... this is for you".

Was I the Jeff in question? Was he talking to me directly? I can't say for certain. All I know is that we did have a conversation about EBTTRT in Hershey and a bit more the opening night of the Outside Broadcast... and sure enough... that is what was said at the beginning of the song... so there's another one to download and enjoy.

STORY # 2:
    Please Play Kite!!
    There is a brief mention of this in Pimm's "A Concert Documentary" book... anywho...

Kite wasn't being played at the beginning of the Elevation tour. Many were wondering why. Many others like me - BEGGED for it. In San Diego, me and some friends had Please Play Kite signs. As Bono and Edge were near the tip of the heart catwalk in San Diego, I held up my sign. Edge saw it at the end of Until The End Of The World, smiled and nodded. I thought "COOL, they're gonna do it! But alas, nothing.

Two nights later we were ready again in San Jose for the first of 2 shows. Oncee again, I had my sign ready for The Edge to read when he approached the tip of the heart... I held up my sign... only this time it was two sided. I flashed the front side "Please Play Kite" and then flipped it over... "Come On The Edge - You PROMISED us in S.D. !!!". Edge smiled, laughed and motioned toward my sign for Bono to see... as Edge turned to run up the catwalk for NYD, he mouthed something that seemed to be "It's coming". Again, hopes were high and we were expecting a world premier... again, it was NOT to be. Damn IT!!!

Night number two in San Jose was magic from start to finish. Not only would we get "Stay" later in the show... but soon enough, it was evident that we were to finally hear KITE! As The Edge made his approach to the tip of the heart during Until The End Of The World I flashed the Please Play Kite sign yet AGAIN... and this time the back saying "Shall We Fly A KITE tonight? Edge saw the sign, laughed and nodded... at the end of Until The End Of The World, he looked at me again and gave me a thumbs up.

A few songs later... Bono starts to speak of just how things are going so... "swell"... their going to mess it up (or fuck it up... something like that) and play something that they never ever played in front of anyone... and then KITE.

Yep. Both San Jose 2001 shows were magic but everyone I've ever met that was AT the 4-20 show said that it was one of the perfect ones. I have to agree.
  2. Originally posted by anstratdubh1979[..]

First time that "Stay" was first played was the 4-20-2001 San Jose show. I was right in front of Edge and Bono. I was yelling out for the song. It wasn't on the setlist. Bono must have heard me. He looked at Edge and whispered in his ear. Edge looked down at me and smile. AJ feverishly looked for the lyrics in a 3-ring binder and then pulled them out. Bono put his finger to his mouth, as which to tell us, "no one needs to know that I'm reading this!" and they began the song.

At the end of the tune, on the 4-20 bootleg, you'll hear him saying (whilst looking at me) "It's a good tune".

Great story! Next you'll be telling us it was you that got pulled into that recording session and heard the new songs!!!
  3. Originally posted by haytrain[..]

Great story! Next you'll be telling us it was you that got pulled into that recording session and heard the new songs!!!

I wish! I wish!

Nope just your ordinary U2 fan that has been lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time a few times, I suppose.
  4. Originally posted by anstratdubh1979[..]

I wish! I wish!

Nope just your ordinary U2 fan that has been lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time a few times, I suppose.

That's for sure. Well, we're all jealous!
  5. Originally posted by anstratdubh1979[..]

STORY # 2:
    Please Play Kite!!
    There is a brief mention of this in Pimm's "A Concert Documentary" book... anywho...

Kite wasn't being played at the beginning of the Elevation tour. Many were wondering why. Many others like me - BEGGED for it. In San Diego, me and some friends had Please Play Kite signs. As Bono and Edge were near the tip of the heart catwalk in San Diego, I held up my sign. Edge saw it at the end of Until The End Of The World, smiled and nodded. I thought "COOL, they're gonna do it! But alas, nothing.

Two nights later we were ready again in San Jose for the first of 2 shows. Oncee again, I had my sign ready for The Edge to read when he approached the tip of the heart... I held up my sign... only this time it was two sided. I flashed the front side "Please Play Kite" and then flipped it over... "Come On The Edge - You PROMISED us in S.D. !!!". Edge smiled, laughed and motioned toward my sign for Bono to see... as Edge turned to run up the catwalk for NYD, he mouthed something that seemed to be "It's coming". Again, hopes were high and we were expecting a world premier... again, it was NOT to be. Damn IT!!!

Night number two in San Jose was magic from start to finish. Not only would we get "Stay" later in the show... but soon enough, it was evident that we were to finally hear KITE! As The Edge made his approach to the tip of the heart during Until The End Of The World I flashed the Please Play Kite sign yet AGAIN... and this time the back saying "Shall We Fly A KITE tonight? Edge saw the sign, laughed and nodded... at the end of Until The End Of The World, he looked at me again and gave me a thumbs up.

A few songs later... Bono starts to speak of just how things are going so... "swell"... their going to mess it up (or fuck it up... something like that) and play something that they never ever played in front of anyone... and then KITE.

Yep. Both San Jose 2001 shows were magic but everyone I've ever met that was AT the 4-20 show said that it was one of the perfect ones. I have to agree.

Awesome
  6. You are a lucky man guy! I liked to be with you on these gigs!
  7. Originally posted by palmitoYou are a lucky man guy! I liked to be with you on these gigs!

You Too (get it, U 2 !!!) can be so lucky! I have to admit, I've had some fun experiences over the years. And that has me looking forward to the next tour!

What could I possibly want? To play a tune with The Edge would be cool. But even if that doesn't happen, it's darn good fun to go to the shows, meet fans and talk with band and crew when possible.
  8. Originally posted by anstratdubh1979[..]

Not to get all "Zelig" about things but here's two more U2 true tales.
    STORY # 1:
    Shout out for me before "Even Better Than The Real Thing" ?- ZOOTV New Jersey:
    I'd gone to the East Coast with Melissa whilst she was looking for apartments for college. Timing worked out great and we got tickets for the first four Outside Broadcast shows - 2 in New Jersey and 2 in DC. We'd heard about the rehearsals that were to be in Hershey so we went to check it out. The first day, we listened from outside. Later in the day, we got inside the stadium for a peek. That day we were told to come back the next for the dress rehearsal. Fantastic! We'd met Bono that day and I got to talk to him a bit. One of the things we talked about was UltraViolet and Even Better Than The Real Thing. I told him how both songs meant a lot to me and were instant classic in my book.

We met him again before the show in NJ. Melissa got a few pictures and we talked briefly. Listen to the bootleg of that show 9-12-1992... what your hear at the beginning of Even Better Than The Real Thing is "Okay Jeff... this is for you".

Was I the Jeff in question? Was he talking to me directly? I can't say for certain. All I know is that we did have a conversation about EBTTRT in Hershey and a bit more the opening night of the Outside Broadcast... and sure enough... that is what was said at the beginning of the song... so there's another one to download and enjoy.

STORY # 2:
    Please Play Kite!!

haha the one about Kite is classic.
  9. BUMP for this amazing song.

Bono's singing this amazingly well right now, best vocal performances this song's ever had What if we could just get Larry and Adam to join in? Then we would have the definitive version of this song.
  10. He sings too low the "Faraway, so close" part. Way too low.

11. O, I love the Acustikversion!

12. Dont forget this Version · 2001.07.09 - Stockholm, Schweden - Globen