1. its a great great song. both versions are very good - i cant seperate them really bacuse they are almost identical.
  2. The new mix is my preferred one.
  3. The New Mix; It has more power and Bono's voice is way better.
  4. the new mix is epic. what a shame this song is live too much back-tracked.

5. True- may be due to the fact that he thinks he can't sing it like that anymore, with such conviction...but I think he could.

The inclusion of Edge's backing vocals makes the entire track for me, as far as the new mix is concerned. And the vocal melodies are obviously different/better.
  6. Originally posted by EyesWithPrideB3:[..]

True- may be due to the fact that he thinks he can't sing it like that anymore, with such conviction...but I think he could.

The inclusion of Edge's backing vocals makes the entire track for me, as far as the new mix is concerned. And the vocal melodies are obviously different/better.

yeah but i mean that heavy distorted guitar. edge only plays the chords. now bono can play the chords in last night on earth, so he should be able to pull gone off. let edge play that freaky sound and voila.
  7. Originally posted by dieder:[..]

yeah but i mean that heavy distorted guitar. edge only plays the chords. now bono can play the chords in last night on earth, so he should be able to pull gone off. let edge play that freaky sound and voila.

I dont think that freaky sound that opens the song is guitar...I've always thought that was some sort of synth? And even then, I think during the verses, the sound thats NOT the chords is some sort of production-creation.

Listening to it again, maybe the intro sound really is a guitar, hearing it now, I wouldn't be surprised.
  8. One more point of interest-

When this song is played on the Mexico DVD, and The Edge does his jumping-splits kick as he kicks off the chords...it registers as one of my absolute favorite moments on the entire DVD
  9. Originally posted by EyesWithPrideB3:[..]

I dont think that freaky sound that opens the song is guitar...I've always thought that was some sort of synth? And even then, I think during the verses, the sound thats NOT the chords is some sort of production-creation.

Listening to it again, maybe the intro sound really is a guitar, hearing it now, I wouldn't be surprised.

really transformed with strange effects I think. A bit like that UTEOTW intro sound

10. the "love love love"? That's certainly not a guitar...

EDIT: you just forced me to listen to it over again....i was ALWAYS under the impression it was somebody saying "love love lahhhhhve, love love laaaahve," etc....with some really strange vocal effects, but now I could be completely wrong...

Wow, the things you learn...
  11. Originally posted by EyesWithPrideB3:[..]

the "love love love"? That's certainly not a guitar...

EDIT: you just forced me to listen to it over again....i was ALWAYS under the impression it was somebody saying "love love lahhhhhve, love love laaaahve," etc....with some really strange vocal effects, but now I could be completely wrong...

Wow, the things you learn...

12. No way!? You're serious! That's really a guitar?

I'm not joking, AB was my first venture into U2-fandom, which means for YEARS, I've been putzing around going 'love love lovvvvve;

Like, we're sure about this?

Edit/Update: Cause see, I thought it like all tied the song together...it being at the beginning, it being sung before/during the third verse ("In my dreams I was drowning..."), and also at the end, during the "bullfight" part. I also thought it fit so well with the theme of the Jesus and Judas, because I thought it started out chanting "love love love," and clearly at the end of that intro, it drops off a little bit, almost like it's Judas terminating the "love" of Jesus.