1. Originally posted by ahn1991:[..]

This is incorrect. U2 shouldn't give a damn about their fanbase. They should be doing whatever they think is enjoyable. People misunderstand how being a fan works. Being a fan means you get to enjoy something the artist enjoys doing, it does not mean you get to dictate what the artist gets to do. If that bothers you, don't let the door hit you on your way out.
    +2

2. Don't generalize.
    I've never been keen on listening to every song the band has been invited to play.
    But when I listen for such songs (Herbert Gronemeyer's Mensch, for example) I for one know that they are usually artists with a different vision, different genre. And I come to understand that U2 are just merging into that vision. They are not doing a U2 song, they are just part of a song for the other artist
  3. Goodness gracious man, we all get that you don't like it. I don't either, not my cup of tea, but why go on? You've made your point, you've expressed your opinion, and we understand it. So why beat a dead horse?
  4. Don't judge me, but I finally listened to the Kendrick Lamar tune.
    Wow, I actually liked it a lot!
    Not my style of music, but the collaboration is very "organic", if that makes sense. U2 is servicing Lamar and they don't overshadow him.
    Please take a time to read the lyrics, they are very powerful, and they speak of the reality of today's America.
    I can't believe some of the complains I read in Facebook and other media. Maybe some people need a crash course on diversity. "Oh, I can't stand a black man saying "nigga" too many times". Give me a break!
  5. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:Don't judge me, but I finally listened to the Kendrick Lamar tune.
    Wow, I actually liked it a lot!
    Not my style of music, but the collaboration is very "organic", if that makes sense. U2 is servicing Lamar and they don't overshadow him.
    Please take a time to read the lyrics, they are very powerful, and they speak of the reality of today's America.
    I can't believe some of the complains I read in Facebook and other media. Maybe some people need a crash course on diversity. "Oh, I can't stand a black man saying "nigga" too many times". Give me a break!
    Sorry but saying nigga is wrong full stop, ok if you want to say it in the comfort of your own home whatever but not in a song or in public. If a black person said it in front of my kid I'd be having words.
  6. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    Sorry but saying nigga is wrong full stop, ok if you want to say it in the comfort of your own home whatever but not in a song or in public. If a black person said it in front of my kid I'd be having words.
    Good luck with that.
  7. Good luck with what teaching my kid right from wrong. Haha. Ok then. I don't need luck anyway if they have a problem then I'm quite capable of dealing with that. There's nothing smart about using explicit language in front of kids and it's even less smart in fact RACIST to say it's ok for black men to use it but not white men. As I said say what you like behind closed doors, that's not my business but in public I don't think so.
  8. I knew it wasn't going to be long before someone opened some sort of racism debate. Let's swiftly end that.

I really like XXX, it's one of the best tunes on Damn. I'm a big fan of Kendrick, I loved his last album and this album is certainly a departure. Bono's voice fits perfectly on that track. I'm a huge fan.
  9. Originally posted by KieranU2:I knew it wasn't going to be long before someone opened some sort of racism debate. Let's swiftly end that.

I really like XXX, it's one of the best tunes on Damn. I'm a big fan of Kendrick, I loved his last album and this album is certainly a departure. Bono's voice fits perfectly on that track. I'm a huge fan.
    Sorry if it seems over sensitive to call racism, I have messaged Cesar and explained that it if such words need to be used then it's all about context, how necessary it is, what it explains ie bob Dylan's use of the word in hurricane pretty relevant I'd say. Also the word itself has no place amongst kids of any race. You could go right into it and talk about whether someone need to call someone a c*nt in a song, well not really unless it's a word for word story and I wouldn't appreciate that language in front of my daughter either, don't think I'm being unreasonable. I'm not criticising Kendrick specifically I think it's bad etiquette in society and I think although I'm not a fan of him he's a very talented man and fair play to him. I don't think for one minute he's racist nor intends to be I just think the view that it is acceptable for black people to say not white people is a racist view. Surely we should be teaching our kids and the future generation to ditch such words instead of promoting them. Imagine a family that has both white and black children in it and you have to say well you can use that word but not you, doesn't really work does it.
  10. So, anyway...

I am no fan of the general genre that XXX falls into, but I actually was kinda surprised in a good way after hearing the collaboration. Bono somehow fit right in.
  11. How did we end up mixing Bob Dylan with Kendrick Lamar and U2 in the same sentence? lol