1. Originally posted by treasure:[..]
    The Irish government are playing a blinder compared to some other countries. Our Taoiseach (PM) has reregistered as a doctor to help the health services 1 day a week. Many Irish companies are helping out and it’s great that U2 are playing their part too.

That sounds great, but remember it spreads differently everywhere. So not sure when first measures were taken and if the effect of those can be seen in the numbers. The worst might yet have to come, or it's already over and you have a nation of healthy (and not immune) people..
  2. Not sure when Cheongwadae (President's office of South Korea) will release the briefing in English... I tried translating Bono's letter back to English

Bono's letter:
    'I express my deep gratitude to the president and Korea for their leading role in responding to the Covid-19 crisis.'
    'At a very important time, the whole world is grateful and impressed by the life-saving leadership Korea is showing.'

'If there are personal protective equipment or other medical equipment, or diagnostic kits that are produced or stocked in Korea, I would like to buy them myself and donate them to Ireland.'

'In Ireland, Covid-19 confirmed cases are increasing out of control.'
    'I would like to politely ask for you to hand out the insights and knowledge that Korea has and, above all, the available equipment.'
    'However, given the experience and leadership of Korea in the crisis, we will take the President's opinion on the best way dearly.'

'I'm a fan of the President now more than ever.'

P.S.
    'The President is the only leader I've met in the last 20 years to start a conversation with a reference to the lyrics of songs, not the task at hand.'
    'I will never forget it.'

President Moon's Reply:
    'Since my wife and I are big fans of U2, the meeting at Cheongwadae in December last year was a very pleasant time, and I was especially impressed by your warm heart, fighting international poverty and disease.'
    'As you said, our government is actively responding to Covid-19 based on its high level of quarantine capabilities and high civic awareness.'

'Korea is actively sharing its prevention and treatment experiences and clinical data accumulated in the Covid-19 response process with the international community, and also contributing to global cooperation in supporting health vulnerable countries such as Africa region.'
    'Based on the power of the people who have overcome numerous crises and challenges, I believe Ireland will wisely overcome this Covid-19 crisis.'

'Regarding the purchase of medical equipment requested, I will take measures to consult with our the authorities concerned.'
    'I look forward to you continuing to play a great role as a messenger of peace worldwide.'

Original text: https://www1.president.go.kr/articles/8471
  3. Originally posted by MLily:'Since my wife and I are big fans of U2, the meeting at Cheongwadae in December last year was a very pleasant time, and I was especially impressed by your warm heart, fighting international poverty and disease.'
    So the JT 2019 tour is finally being useful for something!!

Thanks for the translation btw
  4. Originally posted by wbarenno:I love how the Irish government is literally relying on Bono to get shit done 😃Bono might as well be the prime minister there. He is certainly more powerful then him 😃

5. Now released in English.
    http://english1.president.go.kr/BriefingSpeeches/Briefings/515

Heads of state from more than two dozen countries has spoken with our president. And Ireland took a unique way of using its cultural power. Great to see Bono doing what he can do.
    He just got more fans and haters here haha

Regarding the request... realistically, there is a long waiting line and I don't believe this country has sufficient capacity of medical supplies. Test kits are produced enough to be exported, though.
    (I'm kind of wondering what on earth is going on in the world, btw)
  6. Originally posted by treasure:[..]
    The Irish government are playing a blinder compared to some other countries. Our Taoiseach (PM) has reregistered as a doctor to help the health services 1 day a week. Many Irish companies are helping out and it’s great that U2 are playing their part too.
    That is very admirable and noble indeed.
  7. Originally posted by treasure:[..]

Lets be honest. That was for the benefit of complete media spin. Given his disastrous showing at the polls.
  8. Strange that Bono did not participate to the one world concert , i was expected him To sing the song he has composed and sang some weeks ago 'sing for life'
  9. Originally posted by LUGON:Strange that Bono did not participate to the one world concert , i was expected him To sing the song he has composed and sang some weeks ago 'sing for life'
    Don't think it's strange at all. They participated by a more than generous donation already