1. I hate when he make this raggae thing to hide his singing mistakes! yea yea yea
  2. Originally posted by germcevoy:[..]
    The lead singer seems incapable of singing.

Hopefully this is indicative of some sort of vibe or style Bono is trying out but it really has not landed.
    I wouldn’t have released that honestly. I wonder if they did it a few times and that was the best take??!
  3. Well it isn’t perfect, I do feel like we’re being harsh on guy that’s in his 60s. I’d leave the judging for actual performance or new songs.
  4. tell me about it.
    I mean, could you imagine if their camp is reading the response. They'd never give up a bonus treat like this again. Because it definitely back fires
  5. Bono is definetely trying a different approach to the song here. I like that! To me, he has matured a lot as a singer over the past few years, in a good way. Sometimes He doesn't quite get to where he aims, but that's okay for me.
    I'm looking forward to the next record(s), as they seem to look for a new direction again.
    There are a lot of artists who put out great work 'late' in their careers: Dylan, Springsteen, Neil Young... U2 will be among them.
  6. Originally posted by Papo:Bono is definetely trying a different approach to the song here. I like that! To me, he has matured a lot as a singer over the past few years, in a good way. Sometimes He doesn't quite get to where he aims, but that's okay for me.
    I'm looking forward to the next record(s), as they seem to look for a new direction again.
    There are a lot of artists who put out great work 'late' in their careers: Dylan, Springsteen, Neil Young... U2 will be among them.
    I suppose this is a good point actually and we can't really criticise him for taking it in a different style. After nearly 40 years of singing it, perhaps it gets boring just singing it the same way. The artists mentioned above have done the same, for sure, and no doubt got backlash from their fans. That still doesn't mean I think it sounds great, but I can see why he does it. But I also think the argument of his voice not sounding good in that video is active and justified.
  7. Originally posted by Papo:Bono is definetely trying a different approach to the song here. I like that! To me, he has matured a lot as a singer over the past few years, in a good way. Sometimes He doesn't quite get to where he aims, but that's okay for me.
    Yes, + 1. The voice is there, he's just trying something different, I think. Bono + Edge alone isn't their strongest point anyway and has never been (except perhaps for SOL in 92-93).
  8. That's exactly what I said in one whatsapp group yesterday: it's just as if they recorded a first take, that take you do to warm up your voice and maybe try a new verse or intonation here and there... And instead of doing a few more warm-ups and then recording two or three good final takes, they uploaded that first take. It's so unprofessional that I can't even fathom how this band, being such perfectionists, could approve and upload this. If it was a live periscope from their rehearsal room that a fan records and then uploads I'd be ok with it, but doing it themselves? I just can't.

And I'm all for trying new things, new vocal & instrumental arrangements, especially for songs they've played around 1500 times since 40 years ago. Absolute thumbs up for that. But rehearse first, then record. Not record and upload on the go.
  9. Just watched it for the first time. Due to all the comments, i was expecting the very worst. Although i agree, it's not a good performance, it wasn't half as bad as i expected
  10. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    That's exactly what I said in one whatsapp group yesterday: it's just as if they recorded a first take, that take you do to warm up your voice and maybe try a new verse or intonation here and there... And instead of doing a few more warm-ups and then recording two or three good final takes, they uploaded that first take. It's so unprofessional that I can't even fathom how this band, being such perfectionists, could approve and upload this. If it was a live periscope from their rehearsal room that a fan records and then uploads I'd be ok with it, but doing it themselves? I just can't.

And I'm all for trying new things, new vocal & instrumental arrangements, especially for songs they've played around 1500 times since 40 years ago. Absolute thumbs up for that. But rehearse first, then record. Not record and upload on the go.
    i do agree that i was left thinking this was take-one and quickly uploaded... but THATS what I loved. the feeling that they're letting their guard down, and tossing the fans something quickly in this digital age, without over-thinking it as much as they always do. and I hope that a quick peak at all the reaction comments about it, doesn't turn them off doing this kind of thing more in the future.

We can't have it both ways. We cant complain that they are too polished/perfectionist with their material. And then complain when they don't add their polish.

On an actual album release, sure, it shouldn't sound like amatuer hour. But on a social media upload, sure, bring it on. I want to feel that personal connection like they home-filmed something and pressed 'post' without reviewing it.
  11. Originally posted by marik:[..]
    i do agree that i was left thinking this was take-one and quickly uploaded... but THATS what I loved. the feeling that they're letting their guard down, and tossing the fans something quickly in this digital age, without over-thinking it as much as they always do. and I hope that a quick peak at all the reaction comments about it, doesn't turn them off doing this kind of thing more in the future.

We can't have it both ways. We cant complain that they are too polished/perfectionist with their material. And then complain when they don't add their polish.

On an actual album release, sure, it shouldn't sound like amatuer hour. But on a social media upload, sure, bring it on. I want to feel that personal connection like they home-filmed something and pressed 'post' without reviewing it.
    Well said, marik. I agree with everything you wrote.
  12. Originally posted by marik:[..]

I get what you're saying and you definitely have a strong point, BUT: releasing this poor version when they're openly talking about a new album of reworked/rearranged older songs is not the smartest thing to do imho, because it brings any possible excitement down.

That being said, according to social media and Youtube comments fans (both casual and proper) are really digging this crappy version of SBS. So maybe it's just us in our small bubble who don't like it.