1. Discotheque.. Boots...same effect LOL. We may like some or all of Pop, but the band's feeling about the album is really a shame, and that unfortunately will probably prevent a Baby or Kindergarten Pop from seeing the light of day. Like Rattle and Hum, they got the negative press and reaction and have been largely ignoring it. Both deserve some love
  2. Originally posted by bonoschild:Discotheque.. Boots...same effect LOL. We may like some or all of Pop, but the band's feeling about the album is really a shame, and that unfortunately will probably prevent a Baby or Kindergarten Pop from seeing the light of day. Like Rattle and Hum, they got the negative press and reaction and have been largely ignoring it. Both deserve some love
    If anything I think a pop boxset would feature the new edits of songs already done and possibly more reworked versions specifically for the release as well as a lot of the live stuff that’s already released. The band probably see the actual album as ‘baby pop’, the unfinished versions of songs.
  3. I don't give a fuck what anybody says, POP is a masterpiece as it is for me!! I'm not just saying that, I truly love everything about it. As an album, I still rank it behind AB, Zooropa and JT, but it's just incredibly powerful to me still, 25 years later.

At 15, It was the first album to be released during my U2 fandom. I absorbed it fully and completely. From the premiere of the Discotheque video in January, the Popmart tour announcement in February, through the album's release in March, the tour launch/Year in Pop Docu in April, culminating in my first U2 concert (or first concert by anyone) in May in Columbus, OHio... the first half of 1997 was a truly magical time for this young U2 fan.
  4. Originally posted by podiumboy:I don't give a fuck what anybody says, POP is a masterpiece as it is for me!! I'm not just saying that, I truly love everything about it. As an album, I still rank it behind AB, Zooropa and JT, but it's just incredibly powerful to me still, 25 years later.

At 15, It was the first album to be released during my U2 fandom. I absorbed it fully and completely. From the premiere of the Discotheque video in January, the Popmart tour announcement in February, through the album's release in March, the tour launch/Year in Pop Docu in April, culminating in my first U2 concert (or first concert by anyone) in May in Columbus, OHio... the first half of 1997 was a truly magical time for this young U2 fan.
    Well said. That's how I feel about NLOTH. My first U2 album release during my Fandom and seeing 360 Rose Bowl on my 15th
  5. Bottom line for me: if I ever see these songs on a setlist, I would freak out and cry tears of joy >>>

- Discotheque
    - Mofo
    - Gone
    - Last Night On Earth
    - Please
    (honorable mention to If you Wear That Velvet Dress, I've always liked it)

These are monster songs live, at least to my ears.
  6. Originally posted by kite29:Bottom line for me: if I ever see these songs on a setlist, I would freak out and cry tears of joy >>>

- Discotheque
    - Mofo
    - Gone
    - Last Night On Earth
    - Please
    (honorable mention to If you Wear That Velvet Dress, I've always liked it)

These are monster songs live, at least to my ears.
    I feel Mofo is making its comeback on the next tour.

7. That song was the start of my journey to become a U2 fan, as an eletronic music fan it is avery good eletronic U2 track.

No, U2 where desperate when they released JT and R&H, it was a "hey America, love us"-sound.

Mofo is one of their best tracks ever.

Originally posted by kezman:[..]
    "It has some good songs but how anyone can say this is close to their best work is beyond me, we're talking about a band that churned out NYD,Pride,Streets,One"

NYD, Pride, Streets and One are good pop tracks, they no where near the dept of the sound and lyrical quality of Velvet Dress, Mofo and Please.

Originally posted by kezman:[..]
    before the bag of piss that was Discotheque,so cringy I'd be embarrassed if someone caught me listening to it lol

Cringe tracks are Desire, Trip Thorugh Your Wires, Windows In The Skies, Miracle, Stand Up Comedy....

Pop is the third best album(1.Zooropa and 2.AB), Pop got the most deep songs to me.
    Pop was the album when didn't give a shit about the Mainstream US listeners, instead they focused on a more experimental sound.

Also it's the album that got most explosive powerful sound on the songs, Mofo and Gone are good examples of that....
    Also the raw sound of the songs, a bit radio unfriendly... Please is a good example, they realy made the song worse when they polished it to much on the singel verison,
  8. Look y'all.....
    I love Pop in its original format or the album with the single versions of songs or reworked songs from Best of 1990 - 2000 in the track list. Pop was and is daring, fresh, dance, deep, dark, and disturbing. I love it.

But

There is no way on this or any other Earth in this universe or any of the Earths in the Marvel Cinematic Universe that Pop is a better album than Achtung Baby or The Joshua Tree. Not even close.
  9. Originally posted by LostSailor:

There is no way on this or any other Earth in this universe or any of the Earths in the Marvel Cinematic Universe that Pop is a better album than Achtung Baby or The Joshua Tree. Not even close.

To me, JT are such a overrated album, Pop might have a few weak tracks but Mofo, Gone, Velvet Dress and Please are better than all tracks ln JT....
  10. Wow. I love this group and the diversity of opinions we all have. But eff me sideways, I'll never say that "mother-sucking rock and roll" is better than the entire JT album. If any of their albums were giving the finger to the mainstream, it was AB and Zooropa. I love some of the Pop tracks, even more live, but I gotta disagree. I can still listen to JT from start to finish and not skip a song. Pop was an extension and kind of a natural progression from AB and Zooropa. The band themselves agree that it didn't reach full potential and felt incomplete. But feel the love and celebrate your favorite album, absolutely 🍷
  11. Originally posted by bonoschild:Wow. I love this group and the diversity of opinions we all have. But eff me sideways, I'll never say that "mother-sucking rock and roll" is better than the entire JT album. If any of their albums were giving the finger to the mainstream, it was AB and Zooropa. I love some of the Pop tracks, even more live, but I gotta disagree. I can still listen to JT from start to finish and not skip a song. Pop was an extension and kind of a natural progression from AB and Zooropa. The band themselves agree that it didn't reach full potential and felt incomplete. But feel the love and celebrate your favorite album, absolutely 🍷
    To me I can't stand TTYW and Exit on JT.
    RTSS only get ms intressting in the end of the song.
    RHMT is to me a Eurovision track, the only intressting thing with that track is the vocals.