1. Discotheque is fecking awful,Mofo is the sound of fast approaching 40 something's trying desperately to sound hip.
    It has some good songs but how anyone can say this is close to their best work is beyond me, we're talking about a band that churned out NYD,Pride,Streets,One before the bag of piss that was Discotheque,so cringy I'd be embarrassed if someone caught me listening to it lol
  2. Please is a class song though I agree on that
  3. Seems like a missed opportunity not continuing to rework the songs live if they felt the album was rushed and unfinished. Please is a perfect example of what they do best - taking a good studio song and turning it into a great live performance.
  4. The worst song on Pop (Playboy Mansion) is better than the best song on ATYCLB (Kite). Ok...that's not true, but it actually is better than half of the songs on ATYCLB, because they are so booooooooooooring!!!!
  5. I always saw pop as the definition of sarcasm lol
  6. I really must give the album another spin,so long since I sat through it maybe I need a reminder,I get some fans enjoy the experimental elements but take Zooropa now there you have an experimental masterpiece.Whatever followed Zoo Tv was gonna be a drop off though.
  7. Pop is the last great U2 album by far.
  8. Gone, Please, and Last Night On Earth should have all been played on recent tours from 2015 onwards
  9. I’ve got a playlist of the pop tracks that were officially released live which I really enjoy. 8 songs from the album and all better than the album versions except staring at the sun which I prefer electric but still good acoustic. Do you feel loved and if god will send his angels are worth a visit, even the single edit of If god will send his angels is good too, both were never great live. Not a big fan of Miami or playboy mansion, although the music for playboy mansion has potential just not into the lyrics.
  10. Originally posted by kezman:[..]
    Discotheque is fecking awful,Mofo is the sound of fast approaching 40 something's trying desperately to sound hip.
    It has some good songs but how anyone can say this is close to their best work is beyond me, we're talking about a band that churned out NYD,Pride,Streets,One before the bag of piss that was Discotheque,so cringy I'd be embarrassed if someone caught me listening to it lol
    I got that when i would put on most of SoE, half of SoI, 1/3 of NLOTH 3/4 of HTDAAB.

SYCMIYO 🙁, man and a woman 🙁, moment of surrender 😕, crazy tonight 😣, Every Breaking wave🥺 and crap like that… i hope Songs of surrender isn’t 40x Bono singing like ….
  11. I agree with you. Let it be known, too - since I first stirred the pot again a few posts back! - that I think there are some great other songs on the album, too. In fact, I really like Pop overall, so I disagree with the band's overall assessment of it since then.

My main point was that I never before have really conceded ANY of their point of view because I loved the album so much. But reading Bono's words about it in "Surrender" - and his conversations with Edge about it that he records in the book, too - and I am coming over to his side more. It's one thing to say that the album has some great tunes which would sound incredible again live, which I fully affirm. But I also now agree with Bono that the album did not communicate the way it was supposed to, and that's not because the public didn't "get it" but because the vision for the album never came through in the first place.

Hopefully that makes sense.
  12. Maybe but I still think the biggest key that stopped Pop in the States was that Discothque video, and those tour outfits.