1. Take the re-recordings of Discotheque, Staring At The Sun, and Gone from Best of 1990-2000 and replace the originals, take out Miami, and Pop becomes an absolutely fucking brilliant album.
  2. I always find the album version vs new mixes interesting when it comes to the pop tracks. There’s 7 songs that have different versions
    Discotheque, staring at the sun, gone, last night on earth, if god will send his angels, please and if you wear that velvet dress (Bono with Jools Holland), there’s also the Mofo phunkforce mix which I’m only mentioning because I made an 8 song alternative album with that included. I would have stuck the wake up dead man remix that’s been done if there wasn’t the random bits with the dj getting named during the song.
  3. Originally posted by Hoosier2012:Take the re-recordings of Discotheque, Staring At The Sun, and Gone from Best of 1990-2000 and replace the originals, take out Miami, and Pop becomes an absolutely fucking brilliant album.
    I love Pop but personally cannot stand the Best Of re-recordings.

It’s ironic to me that in places like U2 by U2 and even lately in “Surrender” that Edge and Bono have said they should’ve gone further in embracing the dance music aesthetic…but then for the Best of 1990-2000 they stripped away everything that made those kinds of songs interesting to me in the first place.

Either way, time to relisten to the original album all the way through to celebrate the anniversary!
  4. For me personally POP for me is good as it is:
    rough, raw and loud!!!
  5. The new mixes are so bad. Replace the album versions of the songs with the single versions, apart from Discotheque, then the album is much better.
  6. Absolutely nothing wrong with Pop as it is.

It's like they lost their nerve around then and since then rework everything over and over again to smooth it out and make it friendly.

No Line was almost great, but then they f'ed up the running order, took out a brilliant song, and put in some junk. SOI suffers to me due to its glut of producers and obvious attempts to please (my lest favorite U2 album, by a long shot).

Pop, now there they went for something. Yeah, the end result is a little messy and maybe falls short of what they were aiming for, but it is INTERESTING (not an adjective many people would apply to U2's music in recent times). It also captures something of the spirit of the times, and is deep as hell in its themes: it is as "religious" an album as U2 ever made without being all treacly and huggable.
  7. I guess I don’t have too strong feelings about Staring at the Sun or Discotheque album vs Best Of mixes, but I absolutely cannot listen to the vocal on Gone where it’s not in time with the instrumentation. Drives me batshit crazy.
  8. Originally posted by Hoosier2012:I guess I don’t have too strong feelings about Staring at the Sun or Discotheque album vs Best Of mixes, but I absolutely cannot listen to the vocal on Gone where it’s not in time with the instrumentation. Drives me batshit crazy.
    So that's what did it.