1. It is remarkable how particular he is about his sound over the last few tours. I don’t believe he was at the point of marking knob positions until 2005 at the earliest? His sounds are impeccable, but they’re so perfect I feel like they miss some rawness. I know they’re different remixes, but just compare Real Thing 1992/1993 and 2015/2018
  2. I think Edge has actually been slacking since he was much more militant back in the day. Jmho. The multi effects units he uses now may have made him more relaxed. Less stress. Also more is known about his gear because of cell phone cameras, people sharing and such.
  3. That might explain the tone markings.
  4. Originally posted by Release3:It is remarkable how particular he is about his sound over the last few tours. I don’t believe he was at the point of marking knob positions until 2005 at the earliest? His sounds are impeccable, but they’re so perfect I feel like they miss some rawness. I know they’re different remixes, but just compare Real Thing 1992/1993 and 2015/2018
    Yes first time I saw knob position markings is 2005, but it also might have to do with the fact that cameras weren't really that good up until then He's always been picky about his tone and the whole rig thing, but I think he was much more loose in previous tours. Zoo TV is a nice example, he experimented a lot more (for example he used whammy and other not-so-common effects on songs like Bad). Now with the whole Fractal thingy I think he's much more tied and less prone to try new things. I'm sure he and Dallas spend insane amounts of time dialling up the "perfect" tones prior to the tour and then the last thing they'd want is to tweak and experiment any more
  5. Hello everyone, I’m a budding guitarist and I’m trying to sound exactly like the Edge on the October Tour. Here is the gear I’m considering getting to achieve the sound. Please, I’d really appreciate it if you guys would correct me on any adjustments I should make to the gear to get that Edge sound. Specifically with 11 O’Clock Tick Tock, I find that one’s really hard to replicate the sound correctly. Also, if anyone knows of any cheaper substitutes for one of these I’d be happy to hear it, as these are really expensive, haha. Specifically with 11 O’Clock Tick Tock, I find that one’s really hard to replicate the sound correctly. Thank you so much!

(2) VOX AC15 TUBE AMPS

(2) DELUXE MEMORY MAN ELECTRIC HARMONIX PEDALS

(1) A B Y SWITCHER

(1) GIBSON EXPLORER

(1) FENDER STRATOCASTER
  6. Originally posted by TheOcean81:Hello everyone, I’m a budding guitarist and I’m trying to sound exactly like the Edge on the October Tour. Here is the gear I’m considering getting to achieve the sound. Please, I’d really appreciate it if you guys would correct me on any adjustments I should make to the gear to get that Edge sound. Specifically with 11 O’Clock Tick Tock, I find that one’s really hard to replicate the sound correctly. Also, if anyone knows of any cheaper substitutes for one of these I’d be happy to hear it, as these are really expensive, haha. Specifically with 11 O’Clock Tick Tock, I find that one’s really hard to replicate the sound correctly. Thank you so much!

(2) VOX AC15 TUBE AMPS

(1) A B Y SWITCHER

(1) GIBSON EXPLORER

(1) FENDER STRATOCASTER
    (30) HERDIM PICKS

7. Originally posted by TheOcean81:Hello everyone, I’m a budding guitarist and I’m trying to sound exactly like the Edge on the October Tour. Here is the gear I’m considering getting to achieve the sound. Please, I’d really appreciate it if you guys would correct me on any adjustments I should make to the gear to get that Edge sound. Specifically with 11 O’Clock Tick Tock, I find that one’s really hard to replicate the sound correctly. Also, if anyone knows of any cheaper substitutes for one of these I’d be happy to hear it, as these are really expensive, haha. Specifically with 11 O’Clock Tick Tock, I find that one’s really hard to replicate the sound correctly. Thank you so much!

(2) VOX AC15 TUBE AMPS

(1) A B Y SWITCHER

(1) GIBSON EXPLORER

(1) FENDER STRATOCASTER
    HI,

All of those companies have re-created affordable lines and recreations of that gear. Like for example, the EH Memory Boy....

https://www.ehx.com/products/memory-boy1

Often the artists endorse that recreation, even if it is a re-issue so it must be good.

Or the Vox 15 Amp:

https://voxamps.com/en-xa/product/the-vox-ac15-custom/

If you are a mere mortal you just aren't going to approximate his sound to a forensic degree with a limited budget. If you have access to Gates wealth then yes. At a certain point you are going to have to say, 'enough'

I think the Edge would be happier if you created YOUR sound. His departure from 'blues based rock' and creating his own 'language' should serve as inspiration. And realistically, someone out there is going to do it better than you!

You seem to have plenty of enthusiasm which is the key ingredient! I hope you stay positive.

"Be Yourself; everyone else is already taken." - Oscar Wilde
  8. Originally posted by miryclay:[..]I think the Edge would be happier if you created YOUR sound. His departure from 'blues based rock' and creating his own 'language' should serve as inspiration.
    Yeah well, that's wonderful and it's all butterflies and smiles BUT wanting to get as close to Edge's sound (for tribute/cover purposes, for example) is perfectly legitimate
  9. Originally posted by miryclay:[..]
    HI,

All of those companies have re-created affordable lines and recreations of that gear. Like for example, the EH Memory Boy....

https://www.ehx.com/products/memory-boy1

Often the artists endorse that recreation, even if it is a re-issue so it must be good.

Or the Vox 15 Amp:

https://voxamps.com/en-xa/product/the-vox-ac15-custom/

If you are a mere mortal you just aren't going to approximate his sound to a forensic degree with a limited budget. If you have access to Gates wealth then yes. At a certain point you are going to have to say, 'enough'

I think the Edge would be happier if you created YOUR sound. His departure from 'blues based rock' and creating his own 'language' should serve as inspiration. And realistically, someone out there is going to do it better than you!

You seem to have plenty of enthusiasm which is the key ingredient! I hope you stay positive.

"Be Yourself; everyone else is already taken." - Oscar Wilde

Hey miryclay,

That’s really helpful! Thanks so much for your advice! Do you recommend the EH Memory Boy for those early VOX sounds? Covering 11 O’Clock is my first goal right now, as I already know The Ocean. My original plan was to get all the original gear and go from there, but this seems like a better plan. I want to develop my own sound based off of 1981 Edge once I learn a few tunes and make some of my own songs that way. Let me know if you recommend any other cheaper substitues! You’re the man miryclay
  10. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Yeah well, that's wonderful and it's all butterflies and smiles BUT wanting to get as close to Edge's sound (for tribute/cover purposes, for example) is perfectly legitimate

Yes, I agree! I’m starting a band with my friends and we were gonna cover a few of their songs before starting to make our own stuff with 1981 VOXish tones. There’s a local restaurant we’re hoping to play soon!
  11. No joke. I'd say HALF of the one is in the pick. You can spend thousands in the precise gear but if you don't play with blue Herdim picks you just won't get to that sound.

On the other hand you can get away with cheap amps and knock-off guitars if you play with the Herdims and have a nice modulate delay in front of you!