1. Originally posted by justinpushplay:[..]
    You know you can still like U2 and not bash other bands, it doesn’t mean you like U2 any less if you just shut up. Foo Fighters have been the most successful rock band come out of the last 25 years, we are lucky to have them. And to take a song that’s built around melodic sensibilities, and an emotion, and try to turn it into a book report about the lyrics is pretty sophomoric.
    Spot on!! Well said.
  2. I'm eager to hear the new Foos album.. regarding lyrics, Bono has written his fair share of cliched, cringeworthy and even predictable lyrics over the years. Who from U2 could put together an entire album on their own and make it a hit? U2 is still my favorite band, but Dave Grohl is arguably a better musician than any of the members of U2. Regardless, people are going to like who they're going to like. I hope the Foos do well with this one
  3. I love U2 with all of my heart. They’ve written some of the best songs in rock history.

They’ve also written some absolute shite. End of.

I’ve not enjoyed a Foo Fighters album all the way through since Wasting Light so I’m looking forward to hearing this. I’ve only seen that recent video of Josh Freese playing All My Life with the band…I really like his more aggressive, in your face approach. He’s hitting those drums like they owe him money.
  4. Originally posted by MoFoNYR15:I want to be clear. My top 2 bands are Pearl Jam and u2. No question. Foos aren’t even in my top 10. I haven’t dug a foo album since wasting light. But I could easily admit this album is better than anything EITHER u2 or Pj has released in the last decade.

That's your opinion and I am ok with it. But in my opinion both No Line on the Horizon and Songs of Innocence which were released in the last decade or so are better as an album than anything Foo Fighters have released ever.
  5. Originally posted by MoFoNYR15:I want to be clear. My top 2 bands are Pearl Jam and u2. No question. Foos aren’t even in my top 10. I haven’t dug a foo album since wasting light. But I could easily admit this album is better than anything EITHER u2 or Pj has released in the last decade.

U2 and Pearl Jam are of highest caliber.... Foo Fighters are at best 2nd tier.
  6. Originally posted by TRISTAN:[..]

That's your opinion and I am ok with it. But in my opinion both No Line on the Horizon and Songs of Innocence which were released in the last decade or so are better as an album than anything Foo Fighters have released ever.
    I love both No Line On The Horizon and Songs of Innocence, but Wasting Light, the Foo Fighters record from 2011 is better than both, back to front. I try to be unbiased, because U2 are my favorite band, and I love all the records, but judging album against album, taking my own favorability out of the equation, no, they’re not better than every Foo Fighters album.
  7. That’s a pretty bold claim not backed up by much, Pearl Jam are wonderful, but what they don’t have are singles. The average person in the Street can’t name five Pearl Jam songs, but they can sure as hell name five Foo Fighters songs just as easily as they can name five U2 songs. In fact, U2 holds the record for the most Grammys by a band at 22, second most… Foo Fighters with 15
  8. Originally posted by justinpushplay:[..]
    That’s a pretty bold claim not backed up by much, Pearl Jam are wonderful, but what they don’t have are singles. The average person in the Street can’t name five Pearl Jam songs, but they can sure as hell name five Foo Fighters songs just as easily as they can name five U2 songs. In fact, U2 holds the record for the most Grammys by a band at 22, second most… Foo Fighters with 15
    I am not talking about average audience. The state of both quality music production and quality music lovers are dire..... both numbers have declined drastically over the course of last 15 to 20 years and Grammy awards have now become a complete joke. Average person not knowing U2 or Pearl Jam songs but recognizing Foo Fighters songs does not make Foo Fighters greater than U2 or Pearl Jam. If you go by that logic, then Nicki Minaj or Taylor Swift or Ed Sheeran or Dua Lipa and such artists are the greatest ever singers in the world.

9. It's not a race or match, it's all a matter of taste. Some prefer FF, others Pearl Jam, U2 or Coldplay. So you can't rank bands objectively.
  10. Originally posted by justinpushplay:[..]
    That’s a pretty bold claim not backed up by much, Pearl Jam are wonderful, but what they don’t have are singles. The average person in the Street can’t name five Pearl Jam songs, but they can sure as hell name five Foo Fighters songs just as easily as they can name five U2 songs. In fact, U2 holds the record for the most Grammys by a band at 22, second most… Foo Fighters with 15
    I was leaning towards agreeing with you in this whole absurd debate until I read that. No way, man.

First, I'd say a random person (over 30 years old) in the street is much more bound to name a bunch of Pearl Jam hits (Even Flow, Black, Once, Alive, Better Man) rather than Foo Fighters hits (Everlong, The Pretender, Best Of You... Any more?).

And second, Grammys are absolutely NOT an indicator of a band's quality or talent.
  11. WTF are you saying? Bono is the best lyricist and singer in the history of mankind, and nothing he's EVER done has even ressembled a mistake or "garbage". Not even in the toilet the man does anything bad. Ever.
  12. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    I was leaning towards agreeing with you in this whole absurd debate until I read that. No way, man.

First, I'd say a random person (over 30 years old) in the street is much more bound to name a bunch of Pearl Jam hits (Even Flow, Black, Once, Alive, Better Man) rather than Foo Fighters hits (Everlong, The Pretender, Best Of You... Any more?).

And second, Grammys are absolutely NOT an indicator of a band's quality or talent.
    I would say all of Pearl Jam’s known singles are from the first five years of their career, which is fine, because they made a concerted effort to stop releasing songs to radio. But as far as the last 25 years are concerned, Pearl Jam hasn’t made a dent on the pop charts. And that’s not a slight against them but a big part of legacy is having songs that are part of pop-culture.