1. U2songs article referencing a Blender magazine article / quote from 2004:

As it stands, the album is three seconds shy of an hour and, as Bono says, “too much of a good thing is a bad thing,” so drastic measures need to be taken. “I have a theory,” Mullen begins, and a reverential silence descends as the drummer — traditionally the first band member to be shouted down in these situations — states his case. After just five minutes, it has been unanimously decided that the track “Mercy,” a six-and-a-half-minute outpouring of U2 at its most uninhibitedly U2-ish, must go. Hence a song that any self-respecting band would be proud to call a single becomes what Bono immediately anoints “the best B-side you’ve ever heard.” Later, another more experimental candidate entitled “Fast Cars” (“an Irish/Mexican vibe”) gets evicted, and the album becomes a lean and lithe 11 tracks.

https://www.u2songs.com/demos/mercy
  2. I really like the line:

"You want to kill me, I want to die, were a perfect match you and I."

One of my favourite U2 lyrics.
  3. U don't know. I still think the 2004 version was perfect and album-worthy..far eclipses the live version lyrically and musically
  4. Oof I hated this lyric change on the live one; I think "Love hears when I lie / Love puts the blue back in my eye" is amazing
  5. Brilliant lyrics. Some of my favorite are: You're gravity searching for the ground. You're silence searching for a sound.
  6. You are a U2Start member searching for a stream
  7. Imagine if this song never gets a studio release and we’re left with the massively inferior wide awake in Europe version as the only official release of the song. The band have proved with at least some songs since they have brain cells amongst them but it isn’t showing with the decision making on this song.