1. Originally posted by Macphistfly:[..]
    I actually agree with him, Gerard. I think it's a perfect ten.
    The quality of the audio is usually unsatisfactory but I think Mercy is actually a candidate for the best U2 song.
    Studio recordings of Streets and WOWY are a perfect 10. Maybe Stay.

2. Yahweh revealed itself live. Truly powerful!
  3. Originally posted by Alvin:Btw. some of the bootleg versions are much better in terms of sound than the one officialy released on Wide Awake...

There are problems with the live version of Mercy from Zurich but the studio version sounds like it was recorded on a boombox.
  4. Originally posted by miryclay:[..]

There are problems with the live version of Mercy from Zurich but the studio version sounds like it was recorded on a boombox.
    The live release was from Brussels. That’s what’s particularly annoying as I was at that gig and yet they release a terribly pieced together version. Rome and Munich are better listens.
  5. Originally posted by miryclay:[..]

Yeah it does. Still perfect
  6. Today was the first I’ve listened to the demo for so long. It’s clearly not far off finished which is exactly the form you want to hear a U2 song in. The clearly put a lot of work into it as well yet ended up with so much drivel on the album. Strange band.
  7. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    The live release was from Brussels. That’s what’s particularly annoying as I was at that gig and yet they release a terribly pieced together version. Rome and Munich are better listens.
    My Bad!

8. True words indeed.

To echo and build off of earlier comments, too - if they had released the 2004 demo of Mercy on Atomic Bomb, included Xanax and Wine, and reworked the overall tracklist I think the album would easily be their best of 2000 onward.
  9. Originally posted by miryclay:[..]

That's because it was captured from a cassette, probably using a boom box.
  10. There's definitely a B side vibe off it I always felt it promises a lot but ultimately it just doesn't deliver it's definitely missing something either a better arrangement or stronger chorus and I think they felt that too otherwise it would have made the album or subsequent records .
  11. Originally posted by bpt3:[..]

True words indeed.

To echo and build off of earlier comments, too - if they had released the 2004 demo of Mercy on Atomic Bomb, included Xanax and Wine, and reworked the overall tracklist I think the album would easily be their best of 2000 onward.
    City of Blinding Lights
    Vertigo
    Miracle Drug
    SYCMIOYO
    Love and Peace
    Xanax and Wine
    A Man and A Woman
    Crumbs from Your Table
    One Step Closer to Knowing
    All Because of You
    Original of the Species
    Yahweh
    ________
    Mercy Demo
  12. I’ve never got the big deal about xanax and wine, to me it just sounds equally as poor as fast cars, the different lyrics aren’t adding anything either.