1. Originally posted by deanallison:A bit less than an hour til it’s 28 years here in the uk but any time is a good time to say how great this album is. I think it features the best opening and closing songs of any album. The first few seconds are maybe my favourite seconds of any song in any album ever. Every time I play it it grabs my attention straight away. I love it, I love zoo station, there’s not a poor song on the album, 1 or 2 only good ones rather than great which the rest can all claim to be. Exceptional. The closing trio is a fitting end to such a remarkable album.
    Agree. It's truly a great album and really every song is brilliant. Zoo Station & Even better work perfect as the two opening songs. The Fly is a masterpiece. So Cruel is a personal favorite and I think it belongs to U2's underrated tunes list. And yeah, the closing trio is just amazing. Epic album, mesmerizing sounds & textures and a lot of Bono's best lyrics.
  2. Originally posted by iamcrazytonight:[..]
    Agree. It's truly a great album and really every song is brilliant. Zoo Station & Even better work perfect as the two opening songs. The Fly is a masterpiece. So Cruel is a personal favorite and I think it belongs to U2's underrated tunes list. And yeah, the closing trio is just amazing. Epic album, mesmerizing sounds & textures and a lot of Bono's best lyrics.
    So Cruel has some of Bono's best lyrics I think ("between the horses of lust and lust we are trampled"; "head in heaven, fingers in the mire")
  3. Originally posted by thefly108:[..]
    So Cruel has some of Bono's best lyrics I think ("between the horses of lust and lust we are trampled"; "head in heaven, fingers in the mire")
    honestly every lyric on So Cruel is worth mentioning
  4. to me, Achtung Baby is the best they've done.
  5. Originally posted by CrashCaderz:If they don’t do something for 30 years anniversary I just hope they play so cruel, tryin’ to throw your arms around the world and love is blindness. Then we would have all songs played in their recent era

I know it may seem like a bit of a sell out but I'm still holding on to hope that they do something for this album/tour in 2021/2022.

It's interesting that we "need" those three songs you've mentioned as they are (aside from One) the three slow ones from that album which may decrease their likelihood of being played in a live setting.
  6. On AB U2 were at least 20 years ahead of me on their understanding of Krautrock.
  7. IOW I discovered it much later.
  8. I think it would be incredible if they took the most extravagant of albums and played it in small venues without a big production. They could literally play just a handful of dates in venues that hold maybe 2k at the most and play the album in full with nothing fancy. The songs are good enough, all they would need to do is play them.
  9. Originally posted by deanallison:I think it would be incredible if they took the most extravagant of albums and played it in small venues without a big production. They could literally play just a handful of dates in venues that hold maybe 2k at the most and play the album in full with nothing fancy. The songs are good enough, all they would need to do is play them.
    Very true but good luck getting tickets to those gigs!
  10. My favourite is
    “You don’t know if it’s fear or desire,
    Danger the drug that takes you higher”
  11. Between the horses of love and lust
    We are trampled
    Underfoot…
  12. I might have to research that 2018 vinyl edition.