1. I still love NLOTH and will defend it as one of the bands best Albums to the bitter end!
  2. Originally posted by marik:I've always been a big fan of this song, really hope we see it in the live show again (althou doubtful) and cant understand the hate for it. Especially, comments from the band itself about being the wrong pick for first single. I've tried to isolate band member comments to see who it stems from (Bono just recently stated it was wrong choice and should have been MOS. And Larry said it back in the day. I'm fairly sure Adam repeated the thought. I don't believe I've read Edge say it thou). But its my opinion, that the band member's just re-iterate this narrative now, in hindsight, and almost convinced themselves that its the scapegoat to explain the sub-dued response to the album.

I'm not arguing its the album's BEST track, but my defense for it as the 1st single is that its by far the catchiest track. In this day and age (and a decade ago), singles are quick and catchy. They aren't slow and meandering. They aren't the growers.
    To me MOS, even if you were to butcher 2mins off it, and the long drum intro of Breathe just don't fit that mould.
    And the argument for Magnificent, is to me, like saying Miracle Drug should have been the lead single instead of Vertigo. Sure, MDrug is more of the "typical U2 sound", but its not as fast n catchy as Vertigo.
    And imo, it's not the job of a lead single to 'reperent the sound of the rest of the album". At the point of realizing the rest of the album "doesn't sound like the first single", you've already bought the album. So this does not reflect in the sales success of an album.

Maybe they shouldn’t have worried about singles from the album and just used the promo performances to do their job of promoting the songs and the tour to follow. Boots to me just isn’t a good song but it certainly doesn’t fit on the album either. They obviously liked the song enough to play it live every night on tour though so maybe they should have just released it as a single and not included it on the album and they could also have put stand up comedy and I’ll go crazy on this pre album single. All songs that don’t really work on NLOTH. It should have been an 8 song album to follow that single and would have been one of their best

Pre album single
    Boots
    I’ll go crazy
    Stand Up comedy

NLOTH

Breathe
    No Line On The Horizon
    Magnificent
    Unknown Caller
    Fez-Being Born
    White As Snow
    Winter
    Moment of Surrender
  3. Much like SOI NLOTH was killed by a bad lead single.

magnificent or breathe would have been better choices. Cedarwood road or EBW for SOI.
  4. Been discussed tto the extreme but Boots is a cringe fest full stop,I wonder if Bono had this in mind when he was saying some songs embarrass him.
    Thing is I do think it has some tasty hooks and drums which were really good live,those lyrics though😵
  5. Originally posted by kezman:Been discussed tto the extreme but Boots is a cringe fest full stop,I wonder if Bono had this in mind when he was saying some songs embarrass him.
    Thing is I do think it has some tasty hooks and drums which were really good live,those lyrics though😵
    I think the song was ahead of its time in terms of some of the lyrics especially concerning feminism. Also it’s pretty old school link which is also cool!
  6. The problem with Boots and indeed much of NLOTH is that it sounds like a poor, cookie-cutter imitation of better U2 songs. It derives some of its DNA from The Fly and Vertigo but the lyrics are cringeworthy. Magnificent is the same - a crescendo building anthemic song trying to be another Streets or COBL but without any soul. Moment of Surrender too, trying to be WOWY or AIWIY but not quite getting there. They may well pass as good songs, but as Bono has said multiple times, good is the enemy of great and none of these entered the great stratosphere for me.
  7. I was ONLY listening to the NLOTH songs by the end of the 360 tour. Everything else was on repeat.
  8. Originally posted by Sydney_MIke:The problem with Boots and indeed much of NLORTH is that it sounds like a poor, cookie-cutter imitation of better U2 songs. It derives some of its DNA from The Fly and Vertigo but the lyrics are cringeworthy. Magnificent is the same - a crescendo building anthemic song trying to be another Streets or COBL but without any soul. Moment of Surrender too, trying to be WOWY or AIWIY but not quite getting there. They may well pass as good songs, but as Bono has said multiple times, good is the enemy of great and none of these entered the great stratosphere for me.
    Exactly this. Couldn’t agree more. Especially re: Magnificent and MoS. Way overrated in this parish.
  9. It was the first time ever that a lot of fans were disappointed with hearing a new U2 single some of the singles you think it might need a few more listens to like it but with Boots 👢 their was no hope for a lot of fans and it performed poorly in the charts and on radio ignored by the Grammys who up to Atomic Bomb had bombarded the band with nomination and awards ,had Magnificent been the first single No line would have had taken a completely different trajectory and given it a longer shelf life particularly with casual fans.
  10. The drum part that Larry wrote is great, imo, expecially the little fill/intro at the start and when re-entering for the verses (I don't know how to put it, hope you know what I mean). And also the bongo part - brings a new element to the overall drum sound.
  11. Some nice drums and percussive elements in the track, to be fair. It’s the lyrics/singing that kills the track really.
  12. Let's not forget the worst guitar solo/bridge Edge has ever come up with