1. I love how Eno described the song as the closest U2 got to realizing their attempt to make "future hymns" for this album. As much as I appreciate NLOTH overall for this original intent, it really is too bad they didn't go further with this idea, although the concept of spiritual pilgrimage is definitely scattered throughout. Maybe when/if they finally revisit Songs Of Ascent we will hear more? I still keep hoping they will eventually release "Soon"...
  2. They did release Soon.

3. Originally posted by bpt3:[..]
    I love how Eno described the song as the closest U2 got to realizing their attempt to make "future hymns" for this album. As much as I appreciate NLOTH overall for this original intent, it really is too bad they didn't go further with this idea, although the concept of spiritual pilgrimage is definitely scattered throughout. Maybe when/if they finally revisit Songs Of Ascent we will hear more? I still keep hoping they will eventually release "Soon"...
    Yep loved that part too. I think they were too conservative to go all the way. I also loved the comment about making Moment of Surrender the first single. Eno was right in the sense that indeed U2 is one of the few bands who would got a song like this played on the radio.

A better choice than Boots for sure...
  4. I like the song, but was put off by the incredible hype machine they were using. Eno calling it "The greatest moment of my life in the studio." For that type of statement, I expected more than some song about some druggie at an ATM. Ok, the song is obviously decent, possibly great, but with such hype I was expecting One meets New Year's Day or something crazy great. I liked Breathe, Soon, and Magnificent much better. But MOS was a poignant way to end the 360 shows.
  5. I prefer it as a snippet.
  6. Personally I think MoS is a bit of a U2 masterpiece, spiritually at the very least.

It might not have pushed the envelope too much sonically in the way some of U2's work has done down the years. There is however a very a distinct spirituality to it that reached out and grabbed me personally, and many others I'm sure.

Maybe had it come out a few years earlier it might not have hit me in quite the same manner. It just struck a very heavy chord with me and my life at the time, as did 'Breathe' and 'Unknown Caller' at the time and the Linear film for that matter, just as many other U2 songs have done down the years and songs by other bands / artists do from time to time.

Perhaps if it hasn't quite reached out and grabbed you there may come a time in life when it will. None of us ever know what's right around the corner in our lives sometimes.

But for me MoS hit me like a brick in the face.

Sometimes I'm baffled where these songs come from, particularly from Bono's perspective, but the band as a whole when you look at each member and where any of them are in their lives. Maybe it's all down to that 'fifth member' taking a stroll through the room whilst writing / recording the song, who knows.

When I listen to something like MoS or I Still Haven't Found, it always reaffirms to me in capital letters that despite all the criticism and stick U2 receive from the masses of haters - they are 100% the real deal. You couldn't write a song like MoS and not be.
  7. Wow! I somehow missed this back in 2010 when the Rose Bowl DVD came out! I only bought the double-disc set.

Alright, I'll modify my request to have them release this in some non-vinyl form.

Back to Moment of Surrender...as others have mentioned, I loved this as a closer on 360. Seeing Bono, Edge, and Larry all sing the chorus together was powerful.
  8. Originally posted by Remy:According to Eno the original recording lasted even longer, with another additional verse which never made it into the album. Pity.

Wow that's a damn shame. I'm curious what other verse could have been born from the same creative process. The lyrics of MoS are most striking to me because it's a perfect combination of abstract spiritual themes and the raw grittiness of the human experience.
  9. Originally posted by Caledonia:Personally I think MoS is a bit of a U2 masterpiece, spiritually at the very least.

It might not have pushed the envelope too much sonically in the way some of U2's work has done down the years. There is however a very a distinct spirituality to it that reached out and grabbed me personally, and many others I'm sure.

Maybe had it come out a few years earlier it might not have hit me in quite the same manner. It just struck a very heavy chord with me and my life at the time, as did 'Breathe' and 'Unknown Caller' at the time and the Linear film for that matter, just as many other U2 songs have done down the years and songs by other bands / artists do from time to time.

Perhaps if it hasn't quite reached out and grabbed you there may come a time in life when it will. None of us ever know what's right around the corner in our lives sometimes.

But for me MoS hit me like a brick in the face.

Sometimes I'm baffled where these songs come from, particularly from Bono's perspective, but the band as a whole when you look at each member and where any of them are in their lives. Maybe it's all down to that 'fifth member' taking a stroll through the room whilst writing / recording the song, who knows.

When I listen to something like MoS or I Still Haven't Found, it always reaffirms to me in capital letters that despite all the criticism and stick U2 receive from the masses of haters - they are 100% the real deal. You couldn't write a song like MoS and not be.
    Not a bit of a masterpiece... a complete masterpiece!