1. Originally posted by RUMMY:[..]
    Do you think Mofo would have been the best choice? I dunno. Don’t get me wrong, I really like the song. I just think it “meanders” too much to be a good radio hit/single - even for 1997.

I’d have gone with Gone.
    I’m also unconvinced about Mofo as lead single, Gone is the best song on the album imo but for me discotheque wasn’t a bad choice but staring at the sun or last night on earth would have been better lead single choices.
  2. Discotheque was the perfect opening salvo. I remember there being great buzz at the time. The video really got people talking; Larry’s smirk and bad dancing in the Village People Get Up. Great memories.
  3. Originally posted by RUMMY:[..]
    Do you think Mofo would have been the best choice? I dunno. Don’t get me wrong, I really like the song. I just think it “meanders” too much to be a good radio hit/single - even for 1997.

I’d have gone with Gone.
    Better than Discothèque? Probably. But I would have chosen Gone or LNOE too.
  4. Mofo with the "Popmart mix" it's an absolute blaster and btw I believe if could be released today and have a great impact.
    Discotheque was an amazing single anyway.
  5. Discotheque is their last US (billboard hot 100) top 10 single I believe, just a little interesting/perhaps useless fact for you. I like it a lot more than most of their lead singles since then tbh.
  6. Originally posted by deanallison:Discotheque is their last US (billboard hot 100) top 10 single I believe, just a little interesting/perhaps useless fact for you. I like it a lot more than most of their lead singles since then tbh.
    It was also number one in the UK
  7. Boom Cha! My favourite album and Discotheque wasn't bad single. But the title and album title wasn't their smartest idea. Give Pop and Discotheque to rock conservative fans? What were they thinking?
    Don't get me wrong, I loved the irony, but many fans didn't...
  8. Originally posted by deanallison:Discotheque is their last US (billboard hot 100) top 10 single I believe, just a little interesting/perhaps useless fact for you. I like it a lot more than most of their lead singles since then tbh.
    Wow, I never would have guessed this. Thought for sure that Beautiful Day and Vertigo would have charted higher in the US, but you're right. (I did see that if digital downloads would have been included in the chart rankings back in 2004 then maybe Vertigo would have been higher, though).

I still love Discotheque. If pushed, it might be in my top 20 U2 songs all time. The mood it sets, the irony of the lyrics (a "riddle about love" as Bono has said), the moment the drums cut out and the guitar riff kicks in (yes I much prefer the original album version to remastered/live), the "Boom cha" outro...