1. iTim and LikeAsong: i agree, it's an "incredibly powerful'' song. Love the way it does not leave your system for a long time. Have no idea why .........
  2. What
    a
    song
  3. Luminous Times was one of the first U2 songs I was introduced to. I'd found a CD my uncle had made for my dad - I didn't know it at the time, but it was my uncle's favorite songs from The Best of 1980-89 and B-Sides - and I absolutely fell in love with this song. I'd still rank it as one of their best songs ever. It's such a shame it was never played live - it would've been amazing.
  4. I'll say it to my dying breath... The Joshua Tree b-sides are some of their finest work.

I can remember waiting for each single to be released on 45 to collect the 2 b-sides that were on each. It took a long time, but after all singles had run their course, you ended up with a whole new album worth of brilliance... Luminous Times... Walk To The Water... Spanish Eyes... Sweetest Thing... you get it!
  5. "It's a great track. Some of those songs would definitely have been contenders for the album, but what happened was -- and it is a classically "U2" thing to do -- we had quite a lot of time to work on the record, but right in the middle the Amnesty tour came up. That took us out of circulation for about two months, because of the dates, recovering, getting the gear back, and getting back into the studio. We ran out of time. There would have been two records, depending on which songs we decided to finish. There was this one album, the "blues" album that Bono was talking about, and another, much more "European," which is kind of the way I was led. "Luminous Times" would have been on it, as would "Walk to the Water." In a funny way you aim somewhere, but the album itself makes up its own mind. We hustled to try to finish it, and to get our own views across, but it is a democratic band, and neither my nor Bono's feelings came through completely. What we ended up with was The Joshua Tree." - The Edge

This quote rather aptly ties in with Greg's post. With Or Without You is absolutely one of their finest singles.
  6. I always had Rattle And Hum as a triple album...half live only, half studio only. I had Spanish Eyes, and most of the B-Sides...but who knows how that would have gone over if it was done that way, and the original b-sides were just old live tracks or demos. I love re-imagining careers of my favorite artists. With Prince it was necessary, as he never knew which songs to release, and he had about 800 songs on the level of "Mercy" or better (my opinion of course.) U2, on the other hand were pretty much perfect with which songs to release(Mercy non-withstanding). How they ever thought A Man And A Woman was better is way beyond my ability to think.
  7. I would die if they played this in the TJT30 tour. What a song
  8. Dig me a hole right next to you, cuz I would too, brother. But I'd die a happy and content man.
  9. Originally posted by iTim:"It's a great track. Some of those songs would definitely have been contenders for the album, but what happened was -- and it is a classically "U2" thing to do -- we had quite a lot of time to work on the record, but right in the middle the Amnesty tour came up. That took us out of circulation for about two months, because of the dates, recovering, getting the gear back, and getting back into the studio. We ran out of time. There would have been two records, depending on which songs we decided to finish. There was this one album, the "blues" album that Bono was talking about, and another, much more "European," which is kind of the way I was led. "Luminous Times" would have been on it, as would "Walk to the Water." In a funny way you aim somewhere, but the album itself makes up its own mind. We hustled to try to finish it, and to get our own views across, but it is a democratic band, and neither my nor Bono's feelings came through completely. What we ended up with was The Joshua Tree." - The Edge

This quote rather aptly ties in with Greg's post. With Or Without You is absolutely one of their finest singles.
    don't know why I missed this 8 months ago.
  10. I can almost see them busting this one out this summer - just to shock all the hardcore fans. Luminous Times is such a weird song - it took me a while to warm up to it, honestly, but I think it's got some of their coolest lyrics.

She is the car crash
    She is the thunder
    She is the waves and
    She pulls me under

11. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:I can almost see them busting this one out this summer - just to shock all the hardcore fans. Luminous Times is such a weird song - it took me a while to warm up to it, honestly, but I think it's got some of their coolest lyrics.

She is the car crash
    She is the thunder
    She is the waves and
    She pulls me under

SHE IS THE AVALANCHE
  12. This song was love at first listen...

I love you 'cause I need to
    Not because I need you
    I love you 'cause I understand
    That God has given me your hand...

See the sunlight in her song
    See the sunlight in her soul