1. Definitely from the SOUL(s) of U2,
    that's why it sounds so good.
  2. Originally posted by popmarter:Ah stop moaning he is nearly 50 years of age now ,course it aint going to sound like the joshua tree era,u2 have played thousands of concerts over the years it takes its toil after belting out songs for that length of time,bet you couldnt sing it half as good ,and yes u2 are better now than they ever were,in every department they are playing and singing the songs better than they ever did 6 million people will bear witness to that fact who will see the 360 tour ,never have they played to that many people so people stop moaning and disecting things so much,get out in the fresh air and live your life,a fitting tribute to Gerry Ryan RIP,and Bono is in top singing form.

3. the 2006 concerts he really hit his straps... compared to the rest of the earlier shows on the vertigo tour he sounds HEAPS better!!! now on 360 he's gone backwards for some reason... did he quit smoking and drinking back in 2006 for a bit??
  4. Its not only about his voice. Popmart WOWY was great imho, but the arrangement is sooooo boring the last 2 tours. Its more talking than singing imho. It had its good moments though and i understand they want to play it
  5. Originally posted by u2opra:This seems like a perfect opportunity to discuss what we might expect from Bono for the 360 tour.

It was a good mix - brilliant by adam, larry and edge - just not sure about Bono's vocal take on the song. He seems to be trying more than the 360 versions we have heard so far but his voice just is totally shot - which makes me worried about whether he is looking after his voice properly. It seems like no doubt before that performance he drank a load of alcohol and had a few smokes - which is obvious in his voice when you compare other performances of a similar nature.

For me this was one of the few last great WOWY performances I've heard in recent years:

[YouTube Video]

Ok so he doesn't sing it like he used to in terms of the old school melody and is in no way perfect but listen to his vocal ability - it's pretty good especially on the chorus and you can hear a lot of range in there which hasn't been heard for many years. Obviously back then the 2006 vertigo concerts were a key turning point for Bono's voice as he unleashes a new vocal power but it seems to me that his voice is now declining. Sure, the start of the 360 tour had some great performances (UltraViolet and Moment of Surrender for example) but towards the end of the last leg his range and raw power in his voice has been thinning again; making me question whether he is looking after his voice much these days especially after this recent vocal performance.

Don't get me wrong I love Bono and his voice but I am really worried about whether his voice is going to carry on with the range and power from 2006 or decline and take us back to the days of 2002-2003 with his voice especially if he is hitting the smokes pretty hard again.

Anyway whatever the case I look forward to the 360 tour performances.

glimmers of macphisto in there
  6. Hmm, after listening to a couple of other WOWY versions online (1987-2010) it seems like Bono's voice in this version is similar to the Popmart version (I think someone already commented on this) in terms of vocal delivery in certain parts.

Here is a Popmart version for comparison:

I actually think if Bono's voice is indeed thinning again he should do what he is doing here in the Popmart versions and not let his voice belt it out because this is where it is faltering slightly. The softer approach that he is using in the Popmart versions allows him rest his voice a lot more - I would prefer bono to do this than going all out with the belting it out on the chorus and leaving is voice sound shot.

Still the version he has done for Gerry Ryan is a very fitting tribute and it's way better than the 360 versions we heard on the last 2 legs.
  7. Edge seems to have discovered a little more about the guitar line...love it because it's a little more interesting, but then on second thought, perhaps what's so simplistic in the original is what makes it infectious, brilliant, and interesting in the first place.

Anyway, I'll be listening to this for awhile. I'm happy with it, and it's a really, really nice tribute.
  8. I actually liked this version, I found it really nice, but then again I like just about anything U2 does xD
  9. The song is great and sounds really fresh love the shine like stars part.........................tell me any other band around who can still make a song sound great 23 years after it was released......................
  10. i love this performance of the song
  11. Thanks a million for the download great version