1. Originally posted by ric:Yep, U2 at their absolute prime for sure. Back in the days when they didn't take forever to overthink and overproduce and subsequently ruin an album just to try and make it as commercial as possible. Back when they were exciting, original and challenging. This was the first U2 album I ever bought (on cassette tape). How I miss those days... Cannot believe it's been 30 years.

And yes, this 30 year anniversary is a massive missed opportunity to release some of those demos of early versions of the album tracks, unheard songs, HMTMKMKM, the Bono version of Wanderer and most importantly demos of the songs that would end up on Pop. Surely there's a whole treasure trove of stuff related to this album that could've gone on a bonus disc or two. Now THAT is something I wouldn't have minded spending my hard earned £ on rather than a pointless, overpriced yellow vinyl...

i wonder whether because they had reached their apex (JT and AB) that they thought 'well, we've done that so let's try something new as we're never gonna reach that again' and therefore a release of experimentation took place

that led also to POP but that wasn't as great (though it really was) a success as JT and AB and they got scared, thought it all up again (where have we heard that before) and decided on the more mainstream route as that would enhance their legacy rather than end on that unsuccessful (to them) album

9/11 was a terrible terrible tragedy (act of terrorism) and we have to admit that as long-time fans, the album ATYCLB and tour touched a LOT of people's hearts and brought them to the fore again

the superbowl show was a superb spectacle that again showed a band that cared

and it might be controversial to say this, but without 9/11 would that show have been as memorable?

the albums post ATYCLB have been a real mish-mash (as have been some of their business dealings) with the last 2 (3 counting SOS) maybe looking backwards too much rather than looking forward
  2. Another wasted opportunity. This band refuses to release anything semi-interesting to their fan base.
  3. You’re telling me you’re not at least a little bit excited to join fans around the world for a global live stream of ZOO TV: Live From Sydney?
  4. Originally posted by iTim:[..]
    You’re telling me you’re not at least a little bit excited to join fans around the world for a global live stream of ZOO TV: Live From Sydney?
    Not at all.
    Lol

We have done that before for literally hundreds of shows here on u2start
  5. Originally posted by iTim:[..]
    You’re telling me you’re not at least a little bit excited to join fans around the world for a global live stream of ZOO TV: Live From Sydney?
    No. Believe it or not. I love how they announce it like we should give a fuck. We’re starving for ANYTHING at this point.
  6. I made my own “Deluxe Edition disc two” for Zooropa a couple years ago (I also put together one for R&H, ATYCLB, HTDAAB, and NLOTH since they never received one). Track listing is as follows

1.Stay (Faraway, So Close) [Soundtrack Mix]
    2. In the Name of the Father
    3. Goldeneye [Demo]
    4. Babyface [Live]
    5. Lemon [Lemonade Mix]
    6. Slow Dancing
    7. Numb [Perfecto Mix]
    8. Zooropa [Single Edit] - not sure of its actual provenance, found it on Last of the Rockstar’s YouTube channel
    9. In Cold Blood - found on YouTube, almost certainly not real but does an okay job giving an idea of what it may have sounded like
    10. Billy Boola
    11. The Wanderer [Live]
    12. You Made Me Thief of Your Heat [Demo]
    13. I’ve Got You Under My Skin
    14. Lemon [Trance Mix]
    15. The Wanderer [Soundtrack Mix]

It’s a rather eclectic bunch of songs, but I guess it was a rather eclectic period for the band. An actual Deluxe Edition could be so cool as there has to be a wealth of super odd demo material and such from this time, but realistically if they did it they’d just release a bunch of bad remixes.
  7. Zooropa [Single Edit] - not sure of its actual provenance, found it on Last of the Rockstar’s YouTube channel

It's a home made mix with 2011 soundcheck audio
  8. Ahh, that makes sense. The audio quality meant it definitely was never intended to be a single - I’d figured it was either a demo or a soundcheck but I wasn’t sure where it was really from.
  9. Originally posted by iTim:[..]
    Excuse me? They aren't
  10. Originally posted by The_Hermit:Zooropa [Single Edit] - not sure of its actual provenance, found it on Last of the Rockstar’s YouTube channel

It's a home made mix with 2011 soundcheck audio
    I believe the 2011 audio used in the mix came from an upload on Vimeo by one of the video artists developing graphics for the claw. Some of the graphics from that video were also used in the video uploaded. (Believe the Vimeo video has now come down.)
  11. Just gave it a listen again - the vocals sound very 90s Bono to me. Was it perhaps an instrumental soundcheck with Bono prerecorded or something?