1. If you read that book, there's a point when Bono is arguing with everyone else about his vocal vs the Cash one as to which should go on the album. Everyone else thinks it makes more sense to have Bono's version because it fits thematically with the album. Zooropa is a continuation of the story laid out in Achtung Baby, except while in Achtung Baby the "character" is struggling with domesticity vs basically being a rock star and living the nightlife (monogamy vs infidelity etc) in Zooropa he's off the deepend and there's no clear vision of whether the rock star can come back (we have no compass, we have no map, we have no reasons to get back etc.)

The wanderer is the end. When the character has essentially a "coming of age" experience and is able to reflect on it all. Everyone else (Eno, Flood, band) thought having Cash's version in there took away from the feeling and thread of that story. Bono said that it added to the weirdness of the album which was "the point" to him anyway. Ultimately he won. Flanagan remarks in the book that maybe Bono doesn't want his version because like the character, he's unsure if his voice should be at the stage to sing that song and perhaps Bono just doesn't want to be there yet.

I want to hear Bono's version for that reason. For that matter, Zooropa with that version at the end. I sort of see the rest of the group's point with Cash sort of taking you out of that story, I've always felt it's a little weird. But to Bono's point, it's supposed to be.
  2. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:If you read that book, there's a point when Bono is arguing with everyone else about his vocal vs the Cash one as to which should go on the album. Everyone else thinks it makes more sense to have Bono's version because it fits thematically with the album. Zooropa is a continuation of the story laid out in Achtung Baby, except while in Achtung Baby the "character" is struggling with domesticity vs basically being a rock star and living the nightlife (monogamy vs infidelity etc) in Zooropa he's off the deepend and there's no clear vision of whether the rock star can come back (we have no compass, we have no map, we have no reasons to get back etc.)

The wanderer is the end. When the character has essentially a "coming of age" experience and is able to reflect on it all. Everyone else (Eno, Flood, band) thought having Cash's version in there took away from the feeling and thread of that story. Bono said that it added to the weirdness of the album which was "the point" to him anyway. Ultimately he won. Flanagan remarks in the book that maybe Bono doesn't want his version because like the character, he's unsure if his voice should be at the stage to sing that song and perhaps Bono just doesn't want to be there yet.

I want to hear Bono's version for that reason. For that matter, Zooropa with that version at the end. I sort of see the rest of the group's point with Cash sort of taking you out of that story, I've always felt it's a little weird. But to Bono's point, it's supposed to be.
    Thanks for posting, cool read. I love Zooropa, but I am one of the weirdos who likes Some Days. Zooropa, the song, is worth listening to for the second half. The slogans are interesting to here. I like Dirty Day but it's better live. The two remixes are really good and maybe even better than the album version. Stay is unarguably an amazing U2 ballad, but it took time to grow on me so much. Lemon was a favorite for a while and I love the version they played in Sydney. Numb is cool depending on my mood (personally) and I think Babyface is one of the coolest, most innovative songs ever, though liking it took time. Daddy's gonna pay goes the same as Numb, and The First Time is only good, not great. It's probably my least preferred track on the album though still good. The Wander is a fantastic album closer, maybe the best so far, though Dead Man on Pop was also really good...I like Johnny Cash's vocals, but hearing Bono (in studio) would be cool. Maybe a re-release? And I never got why they closed not only a song but a whole album with dead air sound effects.
  3. I really like Zooropa because it's U2's "feel good" album.

4. Yeah, I'm not particularly fond of it. But it fits what was requested.

@Alex yeah, Fat Lady vocals are an option, but maybe they felt Lemon had filled the album with enough falsetto already and decided to take another approach.
  5. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]

Yeah, I'm not particularly fond of it. But it fits what was requested.

@Alex yeah, Fat Lady vocals are an option, but maybe they felt Lemon had filled the album with enough falsetto already and decided to take another approach.
    True, but that's just a guess! Could've been something more conversational a la Until the End of the World. Who knows?!
  6. Zooropa pushes the boundaries, and that's what I love about it. They could have easily opted for an EP, and I'm glad Bono pushed for the album. It's a continuation of Achtung Baby in a period where U2 were at their most courageous. It isn't an effort of perfectionism, and I think they knew that. That's also what makes me appreciate it more – that it was written during downtime, where they could have spent six months resting, and that it was also recorded during the start of the tour. That period of 1990-1993 is a very prolific time for U2, and it's my favourite. It always will be.
  7. Originally posted by thefly108:[..]
    Thanks for posting, cool read. I love Zooropa, but I am one of the weirdos who likes Some Days. Zooropa, the song, is worth listening to for the second half. The slogans are interesting to here. I like Dirty Day but it's better live. The two remixes are really good and maybe even better than the album version. Stay is unarguably an amazing U2 ballad, but it took time to grow on me so much. Lemon was a favorite for a while and I love the version they played in Sydney. Numb is cool depending on my mood (personally) and I think Babyface is one of the coolest, most innovative songs ever, though liking it took time. Daddy's gonna pay goes the same as Numb, and The First Time is only good, not great. It's probably my least preferred track on the album though still good. The Wander is a fantastic album closer, maybe the best so far, though Dead Man on Pop was also really good...I like Johnny Cash's vocals, but hearing Bono (in studio) would be cool. Maybe a re-release? And I never got why they closed not only a song but a whole album with dead air sound effects.
    I think Cash's vocals also add to the concept and theme of the song itself.

“Bono had written this song and very much inhabited the soul of Johnny in terms of the lyric. Even though it was like a sci-fi band at the Holiday Inn and it’s not sonic territory he’d be comfortable in, Johnny understood and inhabited it. He knew his part in it. Bono always identified with these somewhat misfit, biblical characters and I guess Johnny fits into that. There was an acknowledgment that this was relevant and not gratuitous, that it had some gravitas to it.” - Adam Clayton

8. Because it was fucking cool. And the album was Zooropa. It just fits
  9. Just been listening again through the Zooropa album, has been a while. The opening song is so amazing when you are in a crowded area, the music works so well. You can almost feel that these songs were put together during a tour. Love it! Bring more of Zooropa into the tour please.