1. I think Chris said it best. Around here its underrated for certain. I also happen to be one who kind of likes the u2 as the biggest band in the world idea. So im a little biased seeing as the album was hugely successful for them commercially.
  2. At the end of the day, does it matter what it is? U2 are in the music business to make their music and to make money. HTDAAB was their music and made them money. They won.

Over a 30 year career they're not going to write 200 Where The Streets Have No Names are they? People are going to not like some stuff yet others will love it. General public seemed to love it.

Personally, I think it has it's highs and no major lows. some songs could've been better as we found out throughout the subsequent tours.

Vertigo - 6/10
    Miracle Drug - 8/10
    SYCMIOYO - 9/10
    Love and Peace - 7/10
    City of Blinding Lights - 8/10
    All Because of You - 7/10
    A Man and a Woman - 7/10
    Crumbs - 8/10
    One Step Closer - 9/10
    Species - 7/10
    Yahweh - 8/10

Overall - 7/10

Vertigo has lost a little of it's dazzle after hearing it live and preferring the Jacknife Lee mix. One Step Closer is one of the best songs from ATYCLB/HTDAAB because it holds something personal for me. Yahweh is beautiful but album version I think lacks the betterness of the live acoustic version and the alternate version. Species is ok, Man and woman is ok, a bit fun like Wild Honey and I like the fun songs, Blinding Lights offers a lot, a bit tedious after a while because it's not sung how I want it sung lol. Miracle Drug is simple, yet effective. SYCMIOYO is a really strong song on the album, Crumbs is a very good track. All in all it's a decent album, not exceptional, not shit.

3. Explained in edited post. It holds something personal to me, therefore rates higher.

EDIT: I may be biased in that sense, but hey, I can't put down a song that I vividly remember listening to during a moment in life and thinking how relevent the lyrics are.
  4. It was better than a lot of contemporary albums but not particularly good by U2 standards.

Most of the tracks are decent, Vertigo, Miracle Drug and COBL are standouts, One Step Closer is boring and Crumbs is plain terrible - even worse than Elevation (which at least has the Tomb Raider Mix to somewhat redeem itself)

And I don't think A Man and a Woman is that bad, it has a sort of groove, though it is cringeworthy at times.

SYCMIOYO is WAAAAAAY ovverated though - I can't believe how many people say it's their favourite U2 song,

When it sounds like a cliched, adult contemporary ballad. It certainly is an excellent example of that genre but nothing at all like the soaring, majestic ballads U2 are known for (see WOWY, One, AIWIY etc.)

It's a good album, just not a great one - it's probably better than Boy or October if we exclude the nostalgia effect.

Is it better than ATYCLB? What are the best songs on ATYCLB: BD, Kite, In A Little While so it's possible as HTDAAB has better second tier songs, though BD is better than COBL or Vertigo.
  5. HTDAAB is probably my least listened to album next to October.
  6. Hate that fucking album.

7. Sargeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is a classic.
    Highway 61 Revisited is a classic.
    The Joshua Tree is a classic.
    Led Zeppelin IV is a classic.
    Darkness On The Edge Of Town is a classic.
    Achtung Baby is a classic.
    Songs In The Key Of Life is a classic.
    The Dark Side Of The Moon is a classic.

Do you think How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb can compare to any of those albums? Really?
    I'm not against you liking the album, but I think you should be a bit more careful with the words you use
  8. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Do you think How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb can compare to any of those albums? Really?
    I'm not against you liking the album, but I think you should be a bit more careful with the words you use

Soz Sergio
  9. Yeh Josh, no opinion for you, whether you were joking or not
  10. just because an album is a classic doesn't mean everyone has to like it. hell, i think sgt. peppers' is an awful album, but i know it's well respected.

on the flipside, they didn't make HTDAAB for people not to like, so if you dig it, enjoy it. it's everyone else that's missing out. i think it's great, if a little incohesive and tame.