1. They haven't but doesn't mean they won't Live Nation probably see it as a more viable way of selling out stadiums particularly in the US which can be problematic for most bands and with this Def leppard/Motley Crue tour selling so well it will definitely be something we will see more of.
  2. U2 and Coldplay then
  3. I don’t think u2 or livenation would be keen for them to co headline. Getting a decent support act is fine but to co headline you need someone who are as big as u2 (very difficult) and that would be stupid from a business point of view when you could just have 2 separate acts doing there own tours and both bringing in money instead of combining them into 1. Would they not rather have say pearl jam doing there own thing in Chicago while u2 are in New York at the same time both earning live nation money at 2 different shows rather than combining them into one and halving the potential earnings.
  4. Originally posted by deanallison:I don’t think u2 or livenation would be keen for them to co headline. Getting a decent support act is fine but to co headline you need someone who are as big as u2 (very difficult) and that would be stupid from a business point of view when you could just have 2 separate acts doing there own tours and both bringing in money instead of combining them into 1. Would they not rather have say pearl jam doing there own thing in Chicago while u2 are in New York at the same time both earning live nation money at 2 different shows rather than combining them into one and halving the potential earnings.
    Yes exactly.

Def Leppard etc are not on the same level as U2 in terms of audience numbers.
  5. Also just to touch on the idea that a new album wouldn’t be able to sell out stadiums. I don’t think it would be the new album alone that would sell out a tour. They will probably rely on new technology, Willie Williams working his magic and that will probably be more of a selling point than the album itself, a bit like 360.
  6. The weren't able to consistently sell out arenas in the USA on E & I. Curtains were hung over balconies in a few places. I question whether a non JT show fills stadiums. Springsteen will probably try in 2021...he's having similar problems. His success or lack thereof may point to what U2 should / will try to do.
  7. Yes they are and they are they've been playing to massive US audiences for the last 3 decades and their album Hysteria is a bigger seller than any U2 album. U2 have been struggling to sell out a lot of US shows in the last 2 tours due to over playing the US so it might be an option for them if they feel the need to go outdoors.
  8. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    Yes they are and they are they've been playing to massive US audiences for the last 3 decades and their album Hysteria is a bigger seller than any U2 album. U2 have been struggling to sell out a lot of US shows in the last 2 tours due to over playing the US so it might be an option for them if they feel the need to go outdoors.
    They might have an album that sold more than any of U2’s but they are not in the same league as a live act. All you have to do is go and look at the figures both in terms of attendance and financially. U2 probably can’t sell out a stadium in every state they’ve previously visited but given it could be 4 or 5 years since there last visit to the states when they next go there and the potential new staging designs they could come up with I think they’ll easily be able to sell out enough stadiums for a leg of a tour.
  9. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    Yes they are and they are they've been playing to massive US audiences for the last 3 decades and their album Hysteria is a bigger seller than any U2 album. U2 have been struggling to sell out a lot of US shows in the last 2 tours due to over playing the US so it might be an option for them if they feel the need to go outdoors.
    What's with the co-headlining tour if they can easily do it on their own?
  10. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    But they share amps and both come from Dublin.
  11. Will never happen - both Jay-Z and Kanye West only got the status of support act when 360 and Vertigo respectively reached Australia; and they are big artists.

Personally, I don't like joint tours as the shared stage time inevitably leads to less time for each act than if they headlined. I've seen Blondie with Cyndi Lauper and also The Pretenders; both entertaining in their own right but all of them only played for about an hour, not the 90 minutes or more you'd expect.