1. “Hi, this is Bono. From 83 to 93, it took us 10 years and 6 albums for me to go from waving white flags while singing political songs of conscience, to wearing a gold suit with devil horns singing songs of desire, while fucking up the mainstream any chance we could get. Yes, fun wasn’t it? Don’t worry, I won’t do that again. Now i wear a top hat!”
  2. Damn, almost 20 years old for ATYCLB. I remember the day that album was released very well. I remember I was 18 years old, just graduated high school, but hadn't gone to college yet. It was a "gap year", so to speak. My life was a directionless void, during which I worked a couple jobs that I hated. Meanwhile all my friends were either in college or had joined the military. I bought ATYCLB early that morning at our local record store (RIP), and then had to work all day before I even had an opportunity to listen to it. It was pure torture. During breaks at work, I remember sneaking some peaks at the booklet, reading the liner notes, being so excited.

That album was like somebody threw me a life raft! It was a bright spot in an otherwise dull time of my life. Seeing U2 catch their second wind and rise back to the top was inspiring in itself, as was the record. It was exactly what I needed at the time. I decided working in a factory sucked, and I started college in the fall of 2001, which lead me on the path that got me to where I am today (which I consider to be a good place). ATYCLB will always be one of my favorite albums, because of the journey I went on with it. I cannot believe it's been almost 20 years!
  3. Originally posted by podiumboy:Damn, almost 20 years old for ATYCLB. I remember the day that album was released very well. I remember I was 18 years old, just graduated high school, but hadn't gone to college yet. It was a "gap year", so to speak. My life was a directionless void, during which I worked a couple jobs that I hated. Meanwhile all my friends were either in college or had joined the military. I bought ATYCLB early that morning at our local record store (RIP), and then had to work all day before I even had an opportunity to listen to it. It was pure torture. During breaks at work, I remember sneaking some peaks at the booklet, reading the liner notes, being so excited.

That album was like somebody threw me a life raft! It was a bright spot in an otherwise dull time of my life. Seeing U2 catch their second wind and rise back to the top was inspiring in itself, as was the record. It was exactly what I needed at the time. I decided working in a factory sucked, and I started college in the fall of 2001, which lead me on the path that got me to where I am today (which I consider to be a good place). ATYCLB will always be one of my favorite albums, because of the journey I went on with it. I cannot believe it's been almost 20 years!
    I think it was a pivotal moment for a lot of fans. I might even go as far as to say it's second only to Achtung Baby as a defining shift / re imagining of U2.
  4. Originally posted by podiumboy:Damn, almost 20 years old for ATYCLB. I remember the day that album was released very well. I remember I was 18 years old, just graduated high school, but hadn't gone to college yet. It was a "gap year", so to speak. My life was a directionless void, during which I worked a couple jobs that I hated. Meanwhile all my friends were either in college or had joined the military. I bought ATYCLB early that morning at our local record store (RIP), and then had to work all day before I even had an opportunity to listen to it. It was pure torture. During breaks at work, I remember sneaking some peaks at the booklet, reading the liner notes, being so excited.

I agree with everything. It was a pivotal point as @mattfromcanada and U2 probably wouldn't exist today if they hadn't released ATYCLB or it hadn't gotten the reception it got. I'm eternally grateful to that album because it meant HTDAAB and therefore my first chance to attend a U2 concert.

Now, if only the songs were a bit better.........
  5. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    I agree with everything. It was a pivotal point as @mattfromcanada and U2 probably wouldn't exist today if they hadn't released ATYCLB or it hadn't gotten the reception it got. I'm eternally grateful to that album because it meant HTDAAB and therefore my first chance to attend a U2 concert.

Now, if only the songs were a bit better.........
    Also there were many young bands in the various audiences that were impacted too. Coldplay (though they had started) but I know that The Killers have spoken about this, and I'm sure there were many more who were inspired. Perhaps Snow Patrol? The Arcade Fire?
  6. U2songs reporting that u2 have signed another 10 year contract with live nation taking them to 2030.

Possibly 3 more tours? 2 Arena tours and 1 world wide stadium tour (so basically what they did with ie, jt and ei)?
  7. Kills my dream of some theatre shows.
  8. Originally posted by SJKamal:U2songs reporting that u2 have signed another 10 year contract with live nation taking them to 2030.

Possibly 3 more tours? 2 Arena tours and 1 world wide stadium tour (so basically what they did with ie, jt and ei)?
    Hard to say without the financial side of things being known. A £100million contract covering 10 years would require less work from the band than a £200million contract over 10 years I guess. I think they’ll need to fit in more like 4 tours though or at the very least 2 very long tours with 1 normal tour. I don’t think they’d get away with in 10 years doing what they managed to fit into less than 5 years with I&E - JT2019. Whatever the terms though it’s great that they still have plans to be playing for at least another 10 years, I’m delighted actually.
  9. Originally posted by SJKamal:U2songs reporting that u2 have signed another 10 year contract with live nation taking them to 2030.

hoping for a 30th zoo tv anniversary world tour 2022!!
  10. Live Nation terms: 1000000 North American legs due to "overwhelming demand"
  11. Been listening to the last 3 JT tracks from the album constantly for the last 2 days and they are just incredible, and very different from the live versions too (OTH maybe a bit less so, but still different) - but OTH is just an absolute rocker, Exit is so haunting and dark and jobs makes you feel uneasy, and MotD is like a desperate lullaby that's unsettling as well. Never really listened to the actual JT album much before, but I've gotten obsessed with these last 3 tracks, and I love how they're different from their live counterparts
  12. Originally posted by SJKamal:U2songs reporting that u2 have signed another 10 year contract with live nation taking them to 2030.

O
    U
    C
    H