1. Originally posted by Alvin:Walk on is the best song on (weak) ATYCLB - if I don't count Ground Beneath Her Feet, which is bonus track, but not on my version and I take it as soundtrack thing. In the other way that would be best song from ATYCLB
    Agreed that it's a weak album. But Kite is one of their best songs ever and so by far the best track of this album. Equal to The Ground Beneath Her Feet in my opinion if it would count as an albumtrack.
  2. Originally posted by Zwervervriend:[..]
    Agreed that it's a weak album. But Kite is one of their best songs ever and so by far the best track of this album. Equal to The Ground Beneath Her Feet in my opinion if it would count as an albumtrack.
    Lol your name
  3. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    Maybe the Aung San Suu Kyi thing is the perfect reason to play the song again and sort of reclaim it. The song can take on many meanings than just being about her. Also the band were still absolutely right to support her when they did, she should never have been under house arrest.
    I've never done a deep dive into the lyrical content. To me it's about Death and "all that you can't leave behind" etc. If you didn't know the name Aung San Suu Kyi, you wouldn't make the connection. Also, is it really about her, or is it dedicated to her? Cause there is a HUGE difference.
  4. To me ATYCLB was necessary to get back with their feet on the ground. After all the madness of Pop Mart and Zooropa. Just a record with music of 4 musicians.
  5. Thanks. VV De Zwerver is the local footbalteam from where i lived. Now i live 50 kilometers further, but still every saturday i go and watch the game. A few years ago i had totally none inspiration for a name, came back from the game after a couple of drinks and choose this one. But no regrets
  6. Originally posted by mattfromcanada:[..]
    I've never done a deep dive into the lyrical content. To me it's about Death and "all that you can't leave behind" etc. If you didn't know the name Aung San Suu Kyi, you wouldn't make the connection. Also, is it really about her, or is it dedicated to her? Cause there is a HUGE difference.
    There’s some occasions where songs are dedicated without actually being written about the person I don’t know if that’s the case here though, at the very least I’d say she inspired it. However, I like Bono’s words here

"It's a song about nobility and personal sacrifice," Bono explains in the book U2 by U2, "about doing what's right, even if your heart is telling you otherwise... Love, in the highest sense of the word, is the only thing that you can always take with you, in your heart. At some point you are going to have to lose everything else anyway."

So I do think she inspired it but it’s about much more than just her. They definitely shouldn’t retire the song anyway.
  7. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    There’s some occasions where songs are dedicated without actually being written about the person I don’t know if that’s the case here though, at the very least I’d say she inspired it. However, I like Bono’s words here

"It's a song about nobility and personal sacrifice," Bono explains in the book U2 by U2, "about doing what's right, even if your heart is telling you otherwise... Love, in the highest sense of the word, is the only thing that you can always take with you, in your heart. At some point you are going to have to lose everything else anyway."

So I do think she inspired it but it’s about much more than just her. They definitely shouldn’t retire the song anyway.
    They shouldn't, but just like SYCMIOYO, I think they already retired the song.
  8. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]

Agreed. Plus the song took on a new meaning after 9/11.

Also look at how many ways they have reinterpreted songs like Sunday Bloody Sunday and One, even Ultraviolet as of late. If they want to perform it I think they will.
  9. Originally posted by Alvin:Walk on is the best song on (weak) ATYCLB - if I don't count Ground Beneath Her Feet, which is bonus track, but not on my version and I take it as soundtrack thing. In the other way that would be best song from ATYCLB

I think it's a very strong album it revived their career particularly in America and they were getting played on the Radio and TV again ,Beautiful day is one of the biggest hit singles they've ever had ,Elevation, Stuck in a moment and Walk on all did very well and gave them a new audience who wouldn't normally listen to them.They cleaned up on the Grammys with that album and Atomic Bomb after alienating a lot of fans in the 90s with Pop and Zooropa however good and experimental they were.
  10. Since the last post goes into commercial success I’m going to ask this question. Can the band realistically have a top 10 single in the future. When I say realistically I’m thinking more about U2’s genre of music, can that be a commercial success on radio anymore, I’m not thinking so much about whether you personally think the band have the quality of song writing left in them. It’s something that doesn’t really bother me anymore but I still think it’s an interesting discussion. In fact have any bands had a hit single in recent years as opposed to solo artists and boy/girl groups ? I can’t off the top of my head think of any. Albums maybe but not singles.
  11. No.
  12. Originally posted by deanallison:Since the last post goes into commercial success I’m going to ask this question. Can the band realistically have a top 10 single in the future. When I say realistically I’m thinking more about U2’s genre of music, can that be a commercial success on radio anymore, I’m not thinking so much about whether you personally think the band have the quality of song writing left in them. It’s something that doesn’t really bother me anymore but I still think it’s an interesting discussion. In fact have any bands had a hit single in recent years as opposed to solo artists and boy/girl groups ? I can’t off the top of my head think of any. Albums maybe but not singles.
    I don't think they will TBH. I think Vertigo will be their last hit. The band, as well as their fans, are getting older, which plays a large factor. Honestly, if the band were to release TJT or AB in 2020, most people would view it as a "meh" album besides the die hards.