1. I really think the band, Bono in particular, are extremely proud of SOI and SOE. They sort of play out like “Bono: The Musical”. I think they will keep a few of those tracks alive, most likely EBW and LIB. Their last hit was in 2004 with “vertigo”, but they’ll keep a few newer songs in there so they don’t seem like a dinosaur act completely. Even the Stones still play a few from Voodoo Lounge and Bridges to Babylon on occasion. NLOTH is dead in their minds. Pop might get a little bit of love. I can’t see much from Zooropa being played other than Stay, but I’ve been proven wrong before about that.
  2. The more we move past 2011 the more fondly I look back at 360
  3. Pop was a lot more successful than anything they've done in the last 17 years, 4 top 10 singles including a Number 1 in the UK they'd sell their right arm to have that now, Where do they go from here is the million dollar question?maybe they look at SOI and SOE as some sort of failure neither album had the big hit singles that they so badly tried to have despite the massive amount of promotion and top producers they used, they are at a point in their career that new music is going to be largely ignored by the great outdoors and most who attend their gigs don't want to hear anything post Atomic Bomb. I don't think they would be satisfied in being soley a nostalgia act but they also know new music won't have the impact that they enjoyed for so long .I'd reckon there will be a lot of brainstorming within the band before deciding what direction they should take going forward is been relevant more important to them than filling stadiums certainly to Bono it is.
  4. Originally posted by popmarter:Pop was a lot more successful than anything they've done in the last 17 years, 4 top 10 singles including a Number 1 in the UK they'd sell their right arm to have that now, Where do they go from here is the million dollar question?maybe they look at SOI and SOE as some sort of failure neither album had the big hit singles that they so badly tried to have despite the massive amount of promotion and top producers they used, they are at a point in their career that new music is going to be largely ignored by the great outdoors and most who attend their gigs don't want to hear anything post Atomic Bomb. I don't think they would be satisfied in being soley a nostalgia act but they also know new music won't have the impact that they enjoyed for so long .I'd reckon there will be a lot of brainstorming within the band before deciding what direction they should take going forward is been relevant more important to them than filling stadiums certainly to Bono it is.
    NLOTH was probably more successful than Pop relatively speaking. Maybe less sales but if you look at it’s certifications which will take into account the drop in music sales in general then you could definitely argue NLOTH being a bigger commercial success which seems strange to me I have to admit.
  5. God did Boots ruin it. It was PERFECT releasing a more experimental album after 2 back to basic albums, but boy did they shoot themselves in the foot with that first single. In my opinion, NLOTH gets much better reception with the following singles 1) Magnificent 2) No Line 3) Moment of Surrender 4) Crazy Tonight

I know people don’t like crazy tonight but it’s a light uplifting pop song that could’ve gone over much better if Boots didn’t ruin them with
  6. Pop had 5 hit singles No line had none and that is ultimately what U2 are chasing they wanna have hits and get played on the radio, neither went down well stateside but in the rest of the world Pop did a lot better.
  7. Originally posted by popmarter:Pop was a lot more successful than anything they've done in the last 17 years, 4 top 10 singles including a Number 1 in the UK they'd sell their right arm to have that now, Where do they go from here is the million dollar question?maybe they look at SOI and SOE as some sort of failure neither album had the big hit singles that they so badly tried to have despite the massive amount of promotion and top producers they used, they are at a point in their career that new music is going to be largely ignored by the great outdoors and most who attend their gigs don't want to hear anything post Atomic Bomb. I don't think they would be satisfied in being soley a nostalgia act but they also know new music won't have the impact that they enjoyed for so long .I'd reckon there will be a lot of brainstorming within the band before deciding what direction they should take going forward is been relevant more important to them than filling stadiums certainly to Bono it is.
    Pop still in my eyes was a flop for its time-poor album sales,half empty stadia in US theres no doubt they didnt capitalise following on from ZOO TV which was gigantic.The songs were average nobody seemed interested unless you were a U2 fan,they were riding on the fact they were the biggest rock band around and were seriously on the decline.ATYCLB saved their career without a doubt.Another Pop in 2000 wouldve spelt the end for the band.
    Even after Bomb songs like SYCMIOYO were getting to number 1 because of who they were and not because its a great song.
    I get the love for Pop from posters on here but i remember the late 90's very well,U2 just wasnt the in-thing at all.
  8. Originally posted by popmarter:Pop had 5 hit singles No line had none and that is ultimately what U2 are chasing they wanna have hits and get played on the radio, neither went down well stateside but in the rest of the world Pop did a lot better.
    Again it was far different times.NLOTH would've done easily as much sales as Pop had it been released in '97.
    You're not seriously suggesting Discotheque would've been a hit record in 2009?
  9. For whatever reason (and maybe it’s just me) but I feel the hype for NLOTH and the 360 Tour was bigger than that of Pop/Popmart.
  10. Looks interesting if you want a physical copy of these shows. This place already has them both, thankfully. :-)
  11. Originally posted by popmarter:Pop was a lot more successful than anything they've done in the last 17 years, 4 top 10 singles including a Number 1 in the UK they'd sell their right arm to have that now, Where do they go from here is the million dollar question?maybe they look at SOI and SOE as some sort of failure neither album had the big hit singles that they so badly tried to have despite the massive amount of promotion and top producers they used, they are at a point in their career that new music is going to be largely ignored by the great outdoors and most who attend their gigs don't want to hear anything post Atomic Bomb. I don't think they would be satisfied in being soley a nostalgia act but they also know new music won't have the impact that they enjoyed for so long .I'd reckon there will be a lot of brainstorming within the band before deciding what direction they should take going forward is been relevant more important to them than filling stadiums certainly to Bono it is.
    Pop was a lot more successful than anything they've done in the last 17 years

No. Vertigo is a bigger hit than any pop single. Bomb outsold pop.