1. It's more like a good four-piece rock and roll record that's produced badly!
  2. Originally posted by bobplaysthedrums:[..]

Far enough.

I skip 7 from All That You Can't Leave Behind (all tracks after Walk On)

and 3 from Atomic Bomb. (All Because Of You, A Man And A Woman and Yahweh)

ATYCLB: Beautiful Day, Elevation, Stuck, Kite, Walk On, New York, Grace and Kite.

HTDAAB: Vertigo, Sometimes, Love And Peace, One Step Closer and Fast Cars.

It's more like a good four-piece rock and roll record that's produced badly!

We're heading a little off-topic, but anyway. I don't find it a bad record but the way the songs were produced and recorded is a bit much for me. It's almost like a terrible introduction at a party when you finally get to know people - it sucks at first but then it slowly gets better.

It sounds live which is always a good thing for rock-and-roll (there's not enough of that four-piece rock sound going around maintream anymore) and it's definitely a guitar-bass record more so than anything but the lyrics sometimes have me going WHAT THE FUCK BONO?

''With a mouth full of teeth, you ate all your friends?'' What in the world does that mean? I'm all for deep lyrics and meaningful words, but that still gets me six years after I first heard it. It's definitely not the first U2 lyric at that time that made me wonder, either.
  3. Originally posted by drewhiggins:[..]

ATYCLB: Beautiful Day, Elevation, Stuck, Kite, Walk On, New York, Grace and Kite.

HTDAAB: Vertigo, Sometimes, Love And Peace, One Step Closer and Fast Cars.

I don't count Fast Cars as a part of the album, because it's a limited edition bonus track.

But if it was available on all versions, it would be on my skip list.
  4. Originally posted by bobplaysthedrums:I don't count Fast Cars as a part of the album, because it's a limited edition bonus track.

But if it was available on all versions, it would be on my skip list.

It was on both versions I got (the tour edition and the DVD edition) and that's how I've had it since day one so I count it as one. It's filler...hell, they recorded it on the last day of the sessions!!! That goes to show something.

That's not to say whatever on NLOTH whatever was recorded late (I'll put us back on that in this topic) is a bad track and I don't know what was recorded first or last either - late tracks aren't a bad thing but in the case of Fast Cars it's filler as you can get. I've always thought Stand Up sounds rushed, and I'm sure that's a last-minute recording and addition to the record.

5. Now that's true.

but the lyrics sometimes have me going WHAT THE FUCK BONO?

I say it got worse by NLOTH. The lyrics is the reason why I dislike Stand Up Comedy.

6. That's strange. I have the DVD edition and it's not on my copy.

7. I get sick of drum machines (U2 are guilty of ruining Beautiful Day with one) being used as excuses for real drums and poorly-sampled instruments. No Line is a great record if you want that band dynamic but stretching it over so long doesn't work for that kind of sound. Surely a song of 3-5 minutes should only take two months at the very most to do.

I'm still disappointed MoS is so short.

I like the music part of it. The lyrics not so much. There's a good Zep or even Zappa influence there, but by the time they (I blame all involved, not just the band themselves) they finished overproducing it and making it sound mainstream-friendly, it was so overdone that it was reduced to nothing more than pop-rock. Poor man's indie at the best.

That's strange. I have the DVD edition and it's not on my copy.

Some must have it and others not. This was an initial copy - maybe later pressings don't have it for whatever reason. I thought the DVD from Bomb was far more interesting to see how the band works rather than that Linear crap - although it did give us a great track in Winter. But then it suffered from that syndrome called U2's overproduction effort.

I'm glad Levitate never got that treatment. That's an example of U2 at their finest.
  8. Originally posted by drewhiggins:[..]
    I get sick of drum machines (U2 are guilty of ruining Beautiful Day with one) being used as excuses for real drums and poorly-sampled instruments. No Line is a great record if you want that band dynamic but stretching it over so long doesn't work for that kind of sound. Surely a song of 3-5 minutes should only take two months at the very most to do.

I'm still disappointed MoS is so short.

I don't find anything wrong with Beautiful Day and Moment Of Surrender isn't short, it just feels that way.

9. It doesn't feel short, it just is too short. It could have easily gone another 5-10 minutes and still been one of the best, if not the best, from the album.
  10. Originally posted by drewhiggins:[..]
    It doesn't feel short, it just is too short. It could have easily gone another 5-10 minutes and still been one of the best, if not the best, from the album.

Another 5 or 10 minutes is a bit ridiculous if you ask me. Plus then they would have had to cut more tracks which I would not have been happy about. I've come to like all of the songs on the album, some obviously more than others but I do like them all. It is so interesting and sometimes odd to see people ripping into certain songs or albums even as it almost seems like they hate them, yet we are all here because we are obviously slightly obsessed with U2.
  11. Originally posted by kris_smith87:[..]

Another 5 or 10 minutes is a bit ridiculous if you ask me. Plus then they would have had to cut more tracks which I would not have been happy about. I've come to like all of the songs on the album, some obviously more than others but I do like them all. It is so interesting and sometimes odd to see people ripping into certain songs or albums even as it almost seems like they hate them, yet we are all here because we are obviously slightly obsessed with U2.

My obsession gives me more reason to dislike certain things. 'Cos I'm obsessed I know. I guess I can be picky but then being a fan I can and can't like certain things. It happens with all bands and all things in life. I hate certain things but I love others.

5-10 minutes on top of a song doesn't make it that long. Many, if not all, my favourite songs run over 7-50 minutes.

I don't have it on mine either.

Maybe it's not on mine and I'm thinking it is. Give me a second.

Edit: Yep, just checked out the DVD version as compared to the CD version (an Australian 2006 tour edition complete with pre-postponed dates on the slipcase). Yep, it's not on the tour edition but it's on my DVD one. How weird. Some have it, some don't.