1. Mainly it's been kicked to the curb as was POP there are no staples in the setlist from either of those albums which is down to their commercial failure in the US.
  2. SATS was a staple in the US last year. However I do think they feel like there isn’t really a need to play these songs if they aren’t going to connect with a chunk of the audience, perhaps if the song really stood out as a song that fit in with a new tour then it would change things but they just don’t seem to feel a need or a want even to revisit these songs. They have quite extensively covered pop though over 2 tours when you take into account the number of elevation tour appearances songs from the album made too. NLOTH is a bit different because they don’t have a hit single like discotheque, they don’t have an obvious political choice like please and they don’t have any simple numbers like SATS or wake up dead man. Gone was for Michael Hutchence so that was in tribute to him. Where do you fit NLOTH tracks into a show without it being forced or done for the sake of it?
  3. They were still kicking idea around on 2015. They rehearsed acoustic versions of Moment of Surrender, Magnificent, and No Line. No Line was also rehearsed electrically too, and obviously a magnificent made one show. I didn't like the No Line acoustic version but Moment of Surrender was good.
  4. Originally posted by hoserama:They were still kicking idea around on 2015. They rehearsed acoustic versions of Moment of Surrender, Magnificent, and No Line. No Line was also rehearsed electrically too, and obviously a magnificent made one show. I didn't like the No Line acoustic version but Moment of Surrender was good.
    I always thought Moment Of Surrender was a keeper. But it also strikes me as much more of an "experience" song than one of innocence.
    Also, the basic narrative idea of NLOTH was much more focused on all sorts of different characters. A bit novelistic, if you know what I mean. Whereas the whole "innocence & experience" narrative became much more personal. So, unfortunate, but also understandable that MOS did not make it to the i+e tour.

Moment Of Surrender would probably also do well with an acoustic string section. A bit like the 2017 BBC production.
  5. Originally posted by BigGiRL:[..]
    I always thought Moment Of Surrender was a keeper. But it also strikes me as much more of an "experience" song than one of innocence.
    Also, the basic narrative idea of NLOTH was much more focused on all sorts of different characters. A bit novelistic, if you know what I mean. Whereas the whole "innocence & experience" narrative became much more personal. So, unfortunate, but also understandable that MOS did not make it to the i+e tour.

Moment Of Surrender would probably also do well with an acoustic string section. A bit like the 2017 BBC production.
    The simple thought of a 2017BBC-ish version of Moment Of Surrender gives me chills
  6. Originally posted by deanallison:SATS was a staple in the US last year. However I do think they feel like there isn’t really a need to play these songs if they aren’t going to connect with a chunk of the audience, perhaps if the song really stood out as a song that fit in with a new tour then it would change things but they just don’t seem to feel a need or a want even to revisit these songs. They have quite extensively covered pop though over 2 tours when you take into account the number of elevation tour appearances songs from the album made too. NLOTH is a bit different because they don’t have a hit single like discotheque, they don’t have an obvious political choice like please and they don’t have any simple numbers like SATS or wake up dead man. Gone was for Michael Hutchence so that was in tribute to him. Where do you fit NLOTH tracks into a show without it being forced or done for the sake of it?
    Breathe could have easily made the EI tour. Would have worked well towards the beginning or opening the encore.
  7. Originally posted by SJKamal:[..]
    Breathe could have easily made the EI tour. Would have worked well towards the beginning or opening the encore.
    Breathe has that subversive vibe as does Acrobat.
  8. Originally posted by BigGiRL:[..]

I have a rehearsal set from 2015 where they were working with a strings section. If I recall, One and EBW had the strings. They got rid of that idea pretty quick though.

Funny you mention experience vs innocence songs. I remember the San Jose 2018 soundcheck where they rehearsed Red Flag Day a bunch of times. Bono went on a bit of a speech on how RFL was actually more of a song of innocence, just like how the Troubles was a song of experience.
  9. Originally posted by hoserama:They were still kicking idea around on 2015. They rehearsed acoustic versions of Moment of Surrender, Magnificent, and No Line. No Line was also rehearsed electrically too, and obviously a magnificent made one show. I didn't like the No Line acoustic version but Moment of Surrender was good.
    Acoustic moment of surrender is about the best shout, I didn’t realise they had rehearsed that but it does sound like it would be good, I’ve played it a few times on acoustic myself and I like that there’s quite a few chord changes making it not too boring unlike NLOTH which is the complete opposite, hanging around on the same chords too long, I don’t like the sound of magnificent without the effects either when I play it on acoustic (comparing to the original I couldn’t play it anything like the album version lol) but I’ve not heard these rehearsed versions so don’t know what Edge was doing exactly on them. I think going forward if we are going to see a NLOTH songs live again it may well be MOS acoustic, I doubt they’d bring any back electric and still might not bring any back at all.
  10. I really liked the stripped down NLOTH from Helsinki, I though that style would’ve fit right in on ie or ei.
  11. The song No Line On The Horizon is the only song from this album that I still enjoy. The original version of Winter should have made the album also as I can still give it an occassional listen. Otherwise it did not age well for me. I agree with hoserama, the acoustic version of NLOTH wasn't anything great. Bono indicated at one point of I & E that he didn't like it and wasn't feeling it (the acoustic version). I agree, needs to be full band electric or don't bother.