1. I think it's remarkable to see the progress at the site of the World Trade Center. As an outsider, it's difficult for me to have the same feeling towards the site as a resident of New York or even as an American. However, I do feel that New York has rebuilt in the right way. The thought process and vision that has been put into the design of new WTC is astonishing. Nobody will forget those who perished in 2001, but the World Trade Center site is rising again and once finished, it will be a spectacular place to work and to visit. I think 1WTC is a magnificent building.
  2. 12 years already...It seems like it happened last month...

I was 13 and someone told us at school about a plane crash in NY. When I arrived home I turned on my tv before lunch and the first thing I saw was the second plane hitting the north tower. Since I've always been a plane lover, seeing that was very shoking and sad...I would never imagine that someone could use something that I really think it is special to hurt and kill people.

For exactly 10 years, I ocasionally had some nightmares about that day. They stoped when I visited NYC for the first time in july 2011 (to see U2 playing) and I decided to go to the place by myself. I put my camera in my bag and stopped. I felt weird and relieved at the same time. The energy of that place is something I can't describe...Maybe some sensitive person who also went there could, but for me that day meant a lot and since then I really hope and pray for peace in every single corner of our planet.
  3. double underline for Yogi
  4. I was less than 5 years old that day and I don't remember what I was doing when it happened. I did have a teacher a few years ago who was a firefighter living in NYC at the time and one of the first responders to the event. Last year I went to NYC for the first time and saw the new WTC and the reflecting pool; to finally see it after years of hearing it was very powerful. As are these performances, which I listen to every year:

5. it was a raining day, my mom's birthday, I remember being in a hair saloon (I think that this is the name where people do their hair, sorry for my crappy english) and the whole saloon stopped, people were staring at the tv, that moment the world stopped... and then, the second plane hitted the other tower
  6. I was working as an Overnight Manager for WalMart and had gotten home around 8:00AM in the morning (EST) of September 11th. Went to sleep and was awoken by a telephone from Sunrise Records around 11:00AM. The previous Friday U2 had announced that tickets for the 3rd Leg of the Elevation Tour were going on sale and I went and got my wristband to be one of the first inline to purchase (long before presale codes and online sales). The rep from Sunrise informed me that the sale of tickets had been put on hold because of the events that had happened in the United States. With me being in bed for for a couple hours i inquired what events had happened. The rep told me to turn the TV on and I would understand. When i turned the TV on i witnessed the replay of the South Tower collapsing. I immediately called family that I had in New York and needless to say I did not go back to sleep that day.

As we all know U2 continued with the 3rd Leg and to this day (after seeing the band over 16 times in concert) that concert in Hamilton, Ontario was the most emotional show I have seen this band perform. It was my 4th show of the tour but the events of 9/11 just brought new meaning to some of songs (especially those off ATYCLB). It was also the first show that they had the scrolling of the names of the victims.
  7. Sorry for the double post. Just realized i had posted this story 2 years ago.
  8. 15 years... rest in peace.

I can't remember anything since I was only 2, 3 in that October. I always watch documentaries and read about it every September.
  9. It was my first year in college and I was studying abroad in Monterrey (U2 played there in the Vertigo tour, I actually lived about 3 blocks from that stadium) living with 6 other students who I barely knew. The morning of Sept. 11 a storm that lasted for hours caused mayhem in the city and when I came to class early morning I found out the electricity of the entire campus was down, and a river nearby flooded, so all classes were cancelled. Just when I thought the day couldn't get any more bizarre I returned to the apartment and the other guys were watching the tv with the horrible news of a plane crashing into the WTC. Then I stood all morning with 6 strangers watching how the world was changing. Suddenly the flood in the city was no longer news.
  10. I was working at a newspaper at the time in the advertising dept, the floor above the news room, where they tended to have BBC News 24 running on TV's hung from the ceiling, so I heard about it pretty quickly.

The whole day felt apocalyptic even for those on the European side of the Atlantic. For those who were too young to recall, what may not be conveyed nowadays is that there was a wider worry beyond what was unfolding in America in New York and elsewhere, were there going to be other attacks. We heard shortly afterwards that various skyscrapers in London's Canary Wharf were being evacuated, and all air traffic being stopped.

I don't recall doing any work that afternoon it was hard to think about anything else, and when I got home I was glued to rolling news all night myself, didn't even go to bed that night.

I went up to the observation deck of the south tower (I think) of the WTC in May 1997 when I went to see U2 in New Jersey and we actually got evacuated from the building that morning (false alarm due to smoke in the kitchens in the restaurant - but it actually made it to local news that evening). The fire brigade got us down to the ground literally within a minute or two - and all was well that time thankfully.

I have a recollection of the digital display in the lifts telling you the floor number you are at absolutely whizzing past 90, 80, 70 etc. I can only imagine how horrific it must have been for those trapped in the towers that day, and I thank my lucky stars every time I think about that day or the WTC and remember those that weren't so fortunate in 2001.

It very much felt the world turned on its head that day, and I don't think things have been the same since.
  11. Originally posted by Caledonia:I was working at a newspaper at the time in the advertising dept, the floor above the news room, where they tended to have BBC News 24 running on TV's hung from the ceiling, so I heard about it pretty quickly.

The whole day felt apocalyptic even for those on the European side of the Atlantic. For those who were too young to recall, what may not be conveyed nowadays is that there was a wider worry beyond what was unfolding in America in New York and elsewhere, were there going to be other attacks. We heard shortly afterwards that various skyscrapers in London's Canary Wharf were being evacuated, and all air traffic being stopped.

I don't recall doing any work that afternoon it was hard to think about anything else, and when I got home I was glued to rolling news all night myself, didn't even go to bed that night.

I went up to the observation deck of the south tower (I think) of the WTC in May 1997 when I went to see U2 in New Jersey and we actually got evacuated from the building that morning (false alarm due to smoke in the kitchens in the restaurant - but it actually made it to local news that evening). The fire brigade got us down to the ground literally within a minute or two - and all was well that time thankfully.

I have a recollection of the digital display in the lifts telling you the floor number you are at absolutely whizzing past 90, 80, 70 etc. I can only imagine how horrific it must have been for those trapped in the towers that day, and I thank my lucky stars every time I think about that day or the WTC and remember those that weren't so fortunate in 2001.

It very much felt the world turned on its head that day, and I don't think things have been the same since.
    That was true: that day a lot of false information/panic alarms spread like crazy without any fact-checking. One minute you heard that another airplane was hijacked then the next one it turned out to be false and then another rumor started. As I used to live in a border town between Mexico and the US, the international bridges were closed that day and false reports that terrorists crossed from Mexico to the USA appeared. No one felt safe.
  12. Very interesting to read all those experiences (and it took a while).

I found it a bit late. The kids were at the kindergarden and I wasn't watching any TV; when I finally wanted to watch something I saw that all the TV channels were talking about the "War On America" or something like that.

Not sure how does it sound, but the main "connection" I had with the event, the way I could "relate" to it, to feel it "personal", was... Friends. It was just... damn... I don't know nobody in there, but that's where Ross and Chandler and Joey and Mónica and Rachel and Phoebe are supposed to live... that's how I could relate to the event.