Popmart
Legs (4): Leg 1: North America, Leg 2: Europe, Leg 3: North America, Leg 4: Rest Of The World
Shows: 111
  1. At the same stadium in Tampa, U2 drew in 58,000 in 1987, and 41,000 in 1992. They didn’t sell it out for zoo tv either, but still much better than 18,000!
  2. Originally posted by podiumboy:At the same stadium in Tampa, U2 drew in 58,000 in 1987, and 41,000 in 1992. They didn’t sell it out for zoo tv either, but still much better than 18,000!
    They did sell out in 2009 and 2017 in Tampa. I was at the 1992 show (and above). Jacksonville was even worse I think in 1997 or maybe slightly better. It was mainly just field full.
  3. I went to 360 and Joshua tree 2017 and those were both very packed.... 360 more so than JT17. 360 was extremely hot.

4. Let me suggest you three lesser-known shows: Salt Lake City, Mannheim (don't download the soundboard! it's incomplete and Discothèque is from Werchter), Thessaloniki. The first still has Do You Feel Loved plus the "demo" versions of many songs, not only the Pop ones; Mannheim and Thessaloniki are, in my opinion, the best performances of the european leg. I think the version of Discothèque played in Mannheim is also the longest ever (almost 8 minutes).
  5. Here’s a question
    Does anyone remember that they gave/presented a Pop film to the edinburgh festival that was their graphics running for an hour or so on the big sceen in the princess street gardens?
    It was purely graphics to songs, no band footage?
    It was barely mentioned in this article.
    I watched it and can’t really remember it.

https://archive.list.co.uk/the-list/1998-05-28/20/
  6. "Those of you in the back, can you hear us? Both of you?" - Bono, during the light-selling PopMart show in Jacksonville, FL
  7. Originally posted by Bullet_Blue:[..]

Let me suggest you three lesser-known shows: Salt Lake City, Mannheim (don't download the soundboard! it's incomplete and Discothèque is from Werchter), Thessaloniki. The first still has Do You Feel Loved plus the "demo" versions of many songs, not only the Pop ones; Mannheim and Thessaloniki are, in my opinion, the best performances of the european leg. I think the version of Discothèque played in Mannheim is also the longest ever (almost 8 minutes).
    for those who want to check out Mannheim, maybe you should also see this video.. it has some nice pro-shot footage (interview at the airport, Bullet, Please and Streets) and also amateur footage from outside the venue which shows how surreal that PopMart stage was.. not sure if this concert is among the best PopMart shows, but it certainly is a 'weird' and interesting one..

8. and they were claiming the best seats on PopMart were at the back
  9. Originally posted by RememberEveryMoment:[..]

Washington? Since when. Never heard about that boot. I will check it out.

My fave Popmart boots have been Mexico (ok, not a boot, but still an awesome show), Leeds, Santiago and Sarajevo
    Tell us what you think about Washington Easily the best gig of the first half of 1997
  10. Originally posted by Ricku2:[..]
    for those who want to check out Mannheim, maybe you should also see this video.. it has some nice pro-shot footage (interview at the airport, Bullet, Please and Streets) and also amateur footage from outside the venue which shows how surreal that PopMart stage was.. not sure if this concert is among the best PopMart shows, but it certainly is a 'weird' and interesting one..

[YouTube Video]
    Why were so many of the European Popmart shows in flat fields instead of stadiums? Or were they like natural amphitheaters where the stage was at the bottom of a hill? I would hate to be one of 150,000 people in a huddled mass not able to see anything except the screen.
  11. Isn't that the definition of every stadium gig lol
  12. Yeah but it’s 150,000 people who have nothing but a ground view. All they can see is the screen, the back of people’s heads, and nowadays the endless sea of arms holding up phones to take crappy videos.

In other news, my GA floor days are done haha