Popmart
Legs (4): Leg 1: North America, Leg 2: Europe, Leg 3: North America, Leg 4: Rest Of The World
Shows: 111
  1. I think my U2 dream at this point would be to see the band play the Pop album in full. Just a straightforward approach - not some big tour, just get on a stage like the Apollo theater show and rip through the album. Just one time - let their fans hear the songs live again.

It’s just a shame the band has so forgotten about the album in the subsequent years.
  2. you´ve been reading my mind...Pop´s is U2´s most creative period, along with AB & Zooropa. The rest are - nonetheless - all masterpieces, except in my opinion, the last album, which was just lame (except a couple of songs)...
  3. In 1998 I was 16-17 years old and I was more into progressive house and trance than I was rock. Hip hop as well. I knew of u2 but wasn’t a huge fan yet and actually Pop was the first CD I bought of theirs. I purchased it from a Camelot music in a local mall in St Petersburg FL. I heard the Tampa show was so dead Bono told everyone to get out of their seats and come up front. My first concert I attended would be after my raver days in 2005 for the Vertigo tour.
  4. The Tampa show still had enough people to fill whatever the local arena was in 1997. 18,000+ would have filled that up. All those cities that had poor attendance could’ve and should’ve had an arena show instead.

18,000 people in an arena is a triumph.
    18,000 people in a 50,000 seat stadium is a massive failure.
  5. Also, U2 came back to Tampa and filled a stadium in 2009 and 2017. Their arena show there in 2005 had more people than the Popmart stadium show had!

Another noteworthy fact before I’m done; the 2001 Tampa show also did not sell to capacity... they blocked off the rear stage seats to get their “well out”:

6. Washington? Since when. Never heard about that boot. I will check it out.

My fave Popmart boots have been Mexico (ok, not a boot, but still an awesome show), Leeds, Santiago and Sarajevo
  7. Originally posted by RememberEveryMoment:[..]

Washington? Since when. Never heard about that boot. I will check it out.

My fave Popmart boots have been Mexico (ok, not a boot, but still an awesome show), Leeds, Santiago and Sarajevo
    Out of all the 1st leg boots, Washington is the best. Edmonton is a close 2nd (better audio, but more magic in Washington)
  8. Originally posted by ap5:I think my U2 dream at this point would be to see the band play the Pop album in full. Just a straightforward approach - not some big tour, just get on a stage like the Apollo theater show and rip through the album. Just one time - let their fans hear the songs live again.

It’s just a shame the band has so forgotten about the album in the subsequent years.
    I was nominated for fan of the month on here a few years back and when i was asked the question 'If you could ask the band one thing what would it be?'

I said 'Would you ever play a concert where you play the Pop album in full?'

It'd be epic
  9. Originally posted by podiumboy:The Tampa show still had enough people to fill whatever the local arena was in 1997. 18,000+ would have filled that up. All those cities that had poor attendance could’ve and should’ve had an arena show instead.

The 2nd US leg seems to be the main failure from the tour they should have gone for a scaled down indoor tour after the 1st leg wasn't exactly a glowing success ,now in saying all that not many non American bands could play 3 nights in Giants stadium or 3 nights in Soldier field Chicago pretty impressive stats that not many other bands could achieve.
  10. What's the best YT link for the Washington show?
  11. Originally posted by podiumboy:The Tampa show still had enough people to fill whatever the local arena was in 1997. 18,000+ would have filled that up. All those cities that had poor attendance could’ve and should’ve had an arena show instead.

74,000 capacity. It was larger than the Bucs stadium is now. They tore the old stadium down around 2000 to build the new bucs stadium. It was dead.

Arenas would have been an excellent choice!!
  12. Originally posted by tampapete:[..]
    [image]
    74,000 capacity. It was larger than the Bucs stadium is now. They tore the old stadium down around 2000 to build the new bucs stadium. It was dead.

Arenas would have been an excellent choice!!
    Any sense of how close to capacity a stadium show can truly get? You're letting people on the floor, but you also have to close off a huge chunk of seats behind the stage.