Popmart
Legs (4): Leg 1: North America, Leg 2: Europe, Leg 3: North America, Leg 4: Rest Of The World
Shows: 111
  1. That sounds like Bono.
  2. If they would've done a Stadium/Arena hybrid tour, empty seats and poor sales wouldn't have even been part of the Popmart conversation. 18,000 people in Tampa fills an arena. Same with poor performing cities like Kansas City, San Antonio, New Orleans, Memphis, Jacksonville, etc.
  3. Better than 18,750 and 14,490 I guess

4. yeah, NLOTH tour was record breaking, but I think only Magnificent got a replay once. Let's stop drawing weird conclusions. Also let's stop bringing up Tampa and Jacksonville again and again.
  5. There were also a couple shows in Germany that also had attendance below 20,000. They were at open air festival grounds though, and people had the ability to spread out, so those shows looked fuller than they were.

But even cities like Phoenix, Houston, Denver and Atlanta didn't show up for U2 in 1997. It's kind of weird, where the hell did all those fans go?
  6. The US fans didn't like the 'electronic' direction. Or at least the radio programmers didn't.
  7. Originally posted by podiumboy:[..]
    If they would've done a Stadium/Arena hybrid tour, empty seats and poor sales wouldn't have even been part of the Popmart conversation. 18,000 people in Tampa fills an arena. Same with poor performing cities like Kansas City, San Antonio, New Orleans, Memphis, Jacksonville, etc.
    New Orleans is a weak market in general. T**** and J*********** were really bad though. Unfortunately, those shows were probably a "wake-up call" for U2

I wonder what an arena show would have been like. That would actually have been kinda cool.

Don't say the Burswood Dome was like an arena show because it definitely was not.
  8. Originally posted by Ricku2:[..]

yeah, NLOTH tour was record breaking, but I think only Magnificent got a replay once. Let's stop drawing weird conclusions. Also let's stop bringing up Tampa and Jacksonville again and again.
    Speaking of NLOTH, it's stunning how the album just totally vanished from live performances right when 360 ended. As maligned as it is, Pop fared MUCH better on subsequent tours (see: the 100+ Pop song performances on Elevation and Staring at the Sun on e+I in America). Pop would even come out better if we only compared the one performance of Magnificent on i+e with the two performances of Discotheque on Vertigo.

I don't want to take us off topic, but it's worth thinking about why Pop survived in some form while NLOTH (the album, not the tour) might as well have never happened. My best guess is the album did not produce memorable live performances and thus got overshadowed by the tour, while Pop the album and PopMart the tour are inextricably linked in defining that era thats such a huge part of the band's narrative.
  9. Originally posted by superchuk5:[..]
    Speaking of NLOTH, it's stunning how the album just totally vanished from live performances right when 360 ended. As maligned as it is, Pop fared MUCH better on subsequent tours (see: the 100+ Pop song performances on Elevation and Staring at the Sun on e+I in America). Pop would even come out better if we only compared the one performance of Magnificent on i+e with the two performances of Discotheque on Vertigo.

I don't want to take us off topic, but it's worth thinking about why Pop survived in some form while NLOTH (the album, not the tour) might as well have never happened. My best guess is the album did not produce memorable live performances and thus got overshadowed by the tour, while Pop the album and PopMart the tour are inextricably linked in defining that era thats such a huge part of the band's narrative.
    No Line nearly disappeared on the actual 360 tour... didn’t they only do like 3 songs off it for the final shows?
  10. Those who attended PopMart shows, what did you think of the screen at first, were you blown away or was it just meh?
  11. I was blown away. It was huge and the images were sharp (for that time). But if they would tour with this screen now, it would be meh. We expect HD now 😃
  12. Oh, I was definitely blown away. My only U2 show prior to that was Zooropa but this was something else. Even though daylight saving meant that the screen had to do its work in daylight for the 45 mins or so..