Popmart
Legs (4): Leg 1: North America, Leg 2: Europe, Leg 3: North America, Leg 4: Rest Of The World
Shows: 111
  1. I've always been fascinated by the Last Night On Earth cartoon. We only have a few snippets of the original film print, and the rest can be seen from various amatuer angles. Here's also something interesting. From the April - May part of the tour, a full version of the cartoon is played throughout the whole song instead of just the beginning. This can be seen in the Tempe video. This was then changed to where it would only play the intro, the shopping mall, and finally would end on the gun scene. This was then changed again to where it would fade in to the person walking into the store and would end on the gun part. It stayed this way until the very end of the tour. Loads of changes as you can see. I have managed to recreate almost the entire screen film using various camera angles across multiple nights. Some parts are missing as we don't have any videos that captured it (unless someone can send the full left side angle from Tempe which should show the whole cartoon). Anyways, here it is.

2. Yeah i was feeling that,dance musics not my thing at all,U2 for me at the time were trying too hard to be relevant,it was ATYCLB that rekindled my love for U2.
    Saying that Gone,Please,WUDM,SATS were brilliant on the Elevation Tour,LNOE wouldve rocked too.
    Popmart had some pretty amazing shows but alot of it is cringy,Bono dancing to Mofo,Edge the cowboy,that Lemon entrance and of course-London Berlin Paris Munich everybody talk about.....

Please dont hate me

3. Love how many details the presenters get wrong. "ZooTV had over 300 shows"; "I believe that is a new song, it's not familiar to me - that will be on the new album"; "I think it's Adam Clayton [it's actually The Edge]".
  4. Originally posted by kezman:[..]

Yeah i was feeling that,dance musics not my thing at all,U2 for me at the time were trying too hard to be relevant,it was ATYCLB that rekindled my love for U2.
    Saying that Gone,Please,WUDM,SATS were brilliant on the Elevation Tour,LNOE wouldve rocked too.
    Popmart had some pretty amazing shows but alot of it is cringy,Bono dancing to Mofo,Edge the cowboy,that Lemon entrance and of course-London Berlin Paris Munich everybody talk about.....

Please dont hate me
    On the U.K. Music scene at that time dance music had taken off with acts like the prodigy , massive attack and the chemical brothers sort of the front runners and they were doing very well in the singles chart even getting number one singles . So it had definitely spilled over into the mainstream here in the U.K. in 97
  5. Originally posted by podiumboy:[..]
    If they would've done a Stadium/Arena hybrid tour, empty seats and poor sales wouldn't have even been part of the Popmart conversation. 18,000 people in Tampa fills an arena. Same with poor performing cities like Kansas City, San Antonio, New Orleans, Memphis, Jacksonville, etc.

The problem was they never had a sponsor for that tour and they used various promoters and tried to do a lot of it themselves,the second leg in the US was major misguided error and they should have gone indoors as there were stark warnings on the first leg, and of course the album wasn't well received by some of their Americans fans who thought U2 had gone too far out of their comfort zone with Pop and should stick to been a bar band playing the Joshua tree and Rattle and hum .
  6. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]

The problem was they never had a sponsor for that tour and they used various promoters and tried to do a lot of it themselves,the second leg in the US was major misguided error and they should have gone indoors as there were stark warnings on the first leg, and of course the album wasn't well received by some of their Americans fans who thought U2 had gone too far out of their comfort zone with Pop and should stick to been a bar band playing the Joshua tree and Rattle and hum .
    Problem was that they announced all the 1997 dates at once apart from select few. So the second leg was already on the table. In hindsight, they should have done one leg and been incredibly selective about what cities they hit.
  7. Originally posted by KieranU2:[..]
    Problem was that they announced all the 1997 dates at once apart from select few. So the second leg was already on the table. In hindsight, they should have done one leg and been incredibly selective about what cities they hit.
    Exactly that was poor planning and that's where Live Nation would have stepped in and stopped them doing that ,McGuinness as great a manager he was became over ambitious thinking hey we're U2 of course we'll sell out ,we saw how successful the 360 tour was on the back of a mediocre album the way they had various ticket pricing and just putting tickets on sale for each leg rather than the whole tour.
  8. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    Exactly that was poor planning and that's where Live Nation would have stepped in and stopped them doing that ,McGuinness as great a manager he was became over ambitious thinking hey we're U2 of course we'll sell out ,we saw how successful the 360 tour was on the back of a mediocre album the way they had various ticket pricing and just putting tickets on sale for each leg rather than the whole tour.
    Yep, McGuinness still piggybacking on the fame and success of ZooTV and thinking more than three years down the line that it would still be comparably or more successful.
  9. Originally posted by wbarenno:[..]
    On the U.K. Music scene at that time dance music had taken off with acts like the prodigy , massive attack and the chemical brothers sort of the front runners and they were doing very well in the singles chart even getting number one singles . So it had definitely spilled over into the mainstream here in the U.K. in 97
    Agree with that. And to me hey never felt more like front-runners / crossing genres than in '97. Both respected by the new wave of dance acts and the rock scene.

Might have been a more European thing though. 2 Stadiums show in NL sold out in 40 mins (I luckily fell through what felt like a "phone lottery" system so got tickets)
  10. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    LiveNation wasn't around then in U2 world. I believe U2 were working with Michael Cohl who booked and financed the tour as a whole as opposed to working with separate promoters on ZooTV. A huge leap forward.
  11. Originally posted by miryclay:[..]
    LiveNation wasn't around then in U2 world. I believe U2 were working with Michael Cohl who booked and financed the tour as a whole as opposed to working with separate promoters on ZooTV. A huge leap forward.
    Popmarter was implying if Live Nation *were* around at the time they would have put a stop to it.
  12. Do you guys ever think the band will revisit Pop on future tours or is it consigned to history?
    I think e+i was a missed opportunity tbh.