1. Originally posted by Ali709:To me it has a nice story going...

Problems:
    Raised by Wolves: Terrorism, what's mentioned earlier with one of the Rowans, and his own experience of sort of dodging that attack by pure luck. An issue.
    Sleep like a baby tonight: Related to an experience of a friend of Larry's I think. Still adding to the issues.
    Iris: The loss of his mother...major issue.
    The Troubles: I see this as him noticing these issues and struggling internally.

Remedies:
    Song for someone: Falling in love with Ali after the "scars" of the issues above.
    Volcano: The rage after the loss, and where he decides to embrace rock and roll to not be alone. This is the turning point.

Band struggles:
    The Miracle: Ramones influence and finding his voice
    This is where you can see me now: The clash influence and going punk
    Invisible: Making the band deal in London
    California: Going to california as a band

Band success:
    The Crystal Ballroom: Realising that the band is reaching success, still confused. "All of us are wondering why we're here"...and missing Iris.
    Lucifer's Hands: Success. The Troubles he had are no longer in control of him. He is. He feels empowered by the band, he can change the world and help the poor, but still he can't change the world in him - the scars left by the troubles.

I might be very wrong on some of these!! But that's how it flows in my mind at the moment.

You'll notice Every Breaking Wave is missing. I honestly think it's not right to try to connect EBW to the story of the album as it was written well before the whole "why are we in a band?" thought began. You could see it as being about a relationship or life in general.

Sorry for the rant

good analysis
  2. so Bono thinks of invisible as an opener. Fine with me wherever it is as long as they play it every show that I see them
  3. I can perfectly see Invisible opening, although it wouldn't be my preferred choice y'know.
  4. Originally posted by Genaro92U2:[..]

Right? When I first heard the album beginning to end it just makes me cringe lol. Like HOW OBVIOUS of them to have a chant like that at this age.

It does sound a little cheesy. Reminds me of Bon Jovi with all the "Oh Yeahs!" I like it, but the chanting is a low point of a decent song. I do like Invisible as an album opener, and a tour opener, but since it's a bit of an old song, it probably won't happen. I wouldn't mind them switching up the openers and closers more often...and really hope if they do 2 different shows that both would be rock shows with maybe one or two acoustic numbers each show...but radically different setlists. A hits show for stadiums, and an Arena show for die hards that is advertised as more variety than hits.

5. Had never seen this... Sorry if it was already posted... Around the 4:50 mark Bono starts the Invisible "snippet"!
  6. Already a year old. Favourite new track.
  7. I love it too. I think it will be awesome live !
  8. More I listen to it, the more I love it - SOI's a good album but I think Invisible's a much better song than anything on the album proper. Not to say there isn't some fine stuff on SOI (nor that Invisible's perfect, as I don't think it is), but I feel there's far more purpose and focus in Invisible than anything from the latest set of material. My favourite song since Breathe, which I reckon can hold its own against any song from the U2 canon.
  9. Originally posted by WojBhoy:More I listen to it, the more I love it - SOI's a good album but I think Invisible's a much better song than anything on the album proper. Not to say there isn't some fine stuff on SOI (nor that Invisible's perfect, as I don't think it is), but I feel there's far more purpose and focus in Invisible than anything from the latest set of material. My favourite song since Breathe, which I reckon can hold its own against any song from the U2 canon.
    Most respectfully disagree, my friend.

I think Invisible was a good single, but nothing more than that - and the key word is "good", not "great". It sort of came and went for me, it's a standard U2 hit that soars and does what it's supposed to, but at no point does it really hit a home run for me. Not like those types of singles in the past have. I'd compare it to COBL off the top of my head and say it's not nearly as good as far as hitting that sweet spot of being catchy and having emotion. Invisible is catchy, but for me it doesn't have staying power.

Regarding Breathe, I'm still trying to pretend NLOTH never happened. Compared to SOI which has such a direct theme that each song follows (most if not all happen to be great in my opinion), NLOTH to me was a mixed up mess full of sub-par U2 try-hard singles. I maintain that Being Born and Cedars of Lebanon are the only shreds of intrigue on there, but hey that's just me.

Wow that sounds sort of harsh. Definitely respect your opinion Harry, I dig Invisible, I just disagree!