1. Nice bump! I miss this... but I'm still in debt with two last albums... Will try to make it next week (not weekend probably)
  2. The Church - Priest=Aura
    First things to note is that band aren't afraid to let songs run their course. The first two tracks alone take up 15 minutes. After this they kind of level off around the four-minute mark, save for the near 10-minute Chaos and The Disillusionist. Vocally, I feel there's a lack of variation. Perhaps it's because my unfamiliarity with the band at this point, but the singing style comes across as the same throughout the album which makes for a somewhat monotonous experience on that front. It does actually remind me of Tim Booth in sound, so I don't object so much to that, it's just a lack of variation. Musically there's enough substance to retain my interest. The instrumental finale, Film, is a high point of the album for me. I think that the lyrics are fairly good throughout, I love the use of some rather unusual words as well, such as voracious, acolytes, and succubus. There are some songs that drew me in lyrically. Overall though, it's still a little hit and miss for me. Reading back over the introductory post from Greg, I agree that for the most part it's definitely relaxed, atmospheric, and quite a trip. But it wasn't fully my cup of tea I'm afraid. I would be one of those slightly bewildered folks that came around through the jangle-pop tracks.

Top 3 tracks:
    1. Aura
    2. Ripple
    3. Film

Rating: 5 out of 10
  3. Who do we have in for the next round then?
  4. Originally posted by iTim:The Church - Priest=Aura
    First things to note is that band aren't afraid to let songs run their course. The first two tracks alone take up 15 minutes. After this they kind of level off around the four-minute mark, save for the near 10-minute Chaos and The Disillusionist. Vocally, I feel there's a lack of variation. Perhaps it's because my unfamiliarity with the band at this point, but the singing style comes across as the same throughout the album which makes for a somewhat monotonous experience on that front. It does actually remind me of Tim Booth in sound, so I don't object so much to that, it's just a lack of variation. Musically there's enough substance to retain my interest. The instrumental finale, Film, is a high point of the album for me. I think that the lyrics are fairly good throughout, I love the use of some rather unusual words as well, such as voracious, acolytes, and succubus. There are some songs that drew me in lyrically. Overall though, it's still a little hit and miss for me. Reading back over the introductory post from Greg, I agree that for the most part it's definitely relaxed, atmospheric, and quite a trip. But it wasn't fully my cup of tea I'm afraid. I would be one of those slightly bewildered folks that came around through the jangle-pop tracks.

Top 3 tracks:
    1. Aura
    2. Ripple
    3. Film

Rating: 5 out of 10
    Nice review. The Church definitely may not be for you. Steve Kilbey's vocals don't go much further than that in range... But he loves words, and plays on words. Definitely one of those bands you're either all in on... or not at all has been my experience with people. Thanks for giving it a spin though!
  5. I'll go again if none of ye's are up to it. I gots tons to share!
  6. I'll go again if none of ye's are up to it. I gots tons to share!
  7. I'm not even sure who's participating at the minute. But it makes sense to run Monday-Sunday, so let's see who is ready to take part and then you can feel free to kick us off again on Monday, Greg
  8. Originally posted by iTim:I'm not even sure who's participating at the minute. But it makes sense to run Monday-Sunday, so let's see who is ready to take part and then you can feel free to kick us off again on Monday, Greg
    Can't hurt to try to kickstart this again, right?
  9. No, I'm certainly up for it. Hopefully a few others are too.
  10. Monday it is, then! Where to begin...
  11. I'll take part in this! Sounds fun.
  12. Never heard of The Church. taking a listen now. I love google play where you can search any artist, album, song ect..