1. Originally posted by deanallison:Love this album, didn’t realise until more recently just how much I loved it and thought when it was released perhaps my excitement at a new u2 album was clouding my judgement but it’s great. I’ve listened to it so many times and not only do I never get bored of it but it seems to get better with just about every listen.
    I agree. Imo it’s way better than SOE, which doesn’t seem to be the consensus
  2. I just don't find SoI to be nearly as sonically interesting. It comes across as very much a standard rock album, apart from a few little things here and there.

Funnily enough one of my favourite moments on the album (the California chorus with that glorious synth) seems to be one of the most hated by many on this forum

Also, while I loved certain songs when it came out (most of them in fact), I find most of them sort of forgettable now. I don't miss them when I don't listen to the album in a while.
  3. SOI has all what most songs of SOE are missing. (apart from, Little Things, RFD, BOYH and LOH).
  4. I think SOE is a much more commercial sounding album and is therefore more well liked. I prefer SOI though, a bit heavier on the guitar at times and a bit heavier mood in general. SOE has it’s heavy moments too but it’s done in a less aggressive more sentimental way.
  5. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    I think SOE is a much more commercial sounding album and is therefore more well liked. I prefer SOI though, a bit heavier on the guitar at times and a bit heavier mood in general. SOE has it’s heavy moments too but it’s done in a less aggressive more sentimental way.
    Really? From my point of view it's the complete opposite lol. SoI has a Vertigo attempt (Miracle), few ballads (EBW, SFS), and overall to me is a more accessible listen.

While a number of songs on SoE are radio-ready, the subject matter isn't always accessible. I think Best Thing is really the only one on there that would work. Everything else is a little more "sophisticated" if that makes sense, and I think songs like Lights of Home, Love is All We Have Left, Summer of Love, Red Flag Day, Showman, Little Things, etc. - all sort of lend themselves more to a "UF" feel than they do a more commercial feel.

SoE sounds more like it was written for U2 fans to me, while SoI sounds more like it was written for the intended audience (literally anyone with an apple device). It had to be more accessible/commercial sounding and IMO it shows.
  6. SOE is a more solid record but SOI has some very good tunes. I guess that only Little Things on SOE is at the same level of songs such as Reach Me Now, Troubles, Crystal Ballroom or Sleep Like a Baby.
    SOI's 2nd half is still one of my favourite song runs from their albums. Very creative, well produced and ambitious.
  7. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]
    Really? From my point of view it's the complete opposite lol. SoI has a Vertigo attempt (Miracle), few ballads (EBW, SFS), and overall to me is a more accessible listen.

While a number of songs on SoE are radio-ready, the subject matter isn't always accessible. I think Best Thing is really the only one on there that would work. Everything else is a little more "sophisticated" if that makes sense, and I think songs like Lights of Home, Love is All We Have Left, Summer of Love, Red Flag Day, Showman, Little Things, etc. - all sort of lend themselves more to a "UF" feel than they do a more commercial feel.

SoE sounds more like it was written for U2 fans to me, while SoI sounds more like it was written for the intended audience (literally anyone with an apple device). It had to be more accessible/commercial sounding and IMO it shows.
    I just get more poppy upbeat vibes from SOE. I don’t mean that it’s a cheap commercial attempt or anything but it just sounds a bit more timid musically than SOI, even lyrically whilst bono is touching on serious matters he’s written them in a more measured way which doesn’t quite get the passion across the same for me. It’s only a criticism of SOE though in comparison with SOI not in general, I don’t think SOE is bad I think it’s very good, a great effort from the band at this stage of there career. I just think SOI is great full stop.
  8. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    I just get more poppy upbeat vibes from SOE. I don’t mean that it’s a cheap commercial attempt or anything but it just sounds a bit more timid musically than SOI, even lyrically whilst bono is touching on serious matters he’s written them in a more measured way which doesn’t quite get the passion across the same for me. It’s only a criticism of SOE though in comparison with SOI not in general, I don’t think SOE is bad I think it’s very good, a great effort from the band at this stage of there career. I just think SOI is great full stop.
    Fair enough.

To me, it's more akin to albums like Unforgettable Fire, or Pop, in that it doesn't necessarily sound as "put together", but there's something a little deeper going on. Songs like Little Things, or like the outro of Lights of Home, there are musical bits all over SoE to me that keep it really interesting. SoI, as you said, is sort of "great" start to finish, but for some reason I find that a little less interesting. All That You Can't Leave Behind is like that for me too, though. It's fantastic front to back, but I don't listen to it often.
  9. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    I agree with Dean. I think the only poppy song I can think of from SOI is The Miracle. Whereas SOE has GOOYOW, Best thing, AS, The Showman and Love is bigger.
  10. Originally posted by SJKamal:[..]
    I agree with Dean. I think the only poppy song I can think of from SOI is The Miracle. Whereas SOE has GOOYOW, Best thing, AS, The Showman and Love is bigger.
    But they're not really pop songs lyrically, there's more to them than that. Best Thing, yeah, but the others?

To me that's just U2 being U2.
  11. Hindsight is a great thing but I’ve felt there’s one decent album between SOI and SOE so I decided to make my own album called Sons of Innocence and Experience!

SOI appeals more to me, SOE to heavy on sentiment and quiet a few weak songs that make it sound like a bono solo album!

The track listing is as follows and I think it flows really well.

Lucifer’s Hands
    The Miracle
    California
    Every Breaking Wave
    Red Flag Day
    Volcano
    Ordinary Love
    The Little things that give you away
    Lights of Home (St Peters string version)
    Love is Bigger Than Anything in its way. (Beck remix)
    The Blackout
    The Crystal Ballroom
    The troubles