1. And sorry lads, I double posted this one.
  2. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    No way is it better than War,Unforgettable fire,Zooropa or Pop,I think most fans would agree with me on that ,those albums didn't need to be forced down people's throats and created their own legacy based on the strength of the songs.

War and TUF aren’t even in the discussion amongst U2’s best albums for my taste anyway. The great songs are brought down with some mediocrity or just downright poor songs. Pop is a fair bit behind SOI, very good album though. Zooropa I’d not argue against. If the wanderer was Bono on vocal rather than Johnny Cash it probably would just make it my 3rd favourite so it’s close. I don’t think SOI needed to be forced down anyone’s throats. Most music fans don’t pay attention to new u2 material regardless of quality and they wanted to find a way to reach out to these people. The album has created its own legacy on the strength of songs alone, it’s the songs that make it great. It’s the free release that led to the negative comments about it although whilst publicly doing it no favours I do think it will have achieved the bands goal of getting more people listening to it. All my opinion only obviously.
  3. I love seeing this sudden SOI appreciation wave
  4. Underrated I think.
  5. Comparing it to other albums, I just don't see the point. But I was thinking the other day, while I go ever so slightly off topic, that the second side of War is really quite bad. Although TUF is a stroke of genius as far as I'm concerned.

But anyway, I think the free Apple marketing tool was pretty clever. It didn't do anything to aid the songs, because as Dean rightfully alludes to the songs essentially speak for themselves. It did get people talking about U2 again, which positive or negative generated a wave of publicity for them.
  6. Originally posted by KieranU2:Comparing it to other albums, I just don't see the point. But I was thinking the other day, while I go ever so slightly off topic, that the second side of War is really quite bad. Although TUF is a stroke of genius as far as I'm concerned.

But anyway, I think the free Apple marketing tool was pretty clever. It didn't do anything to aid the songs, because as Dean rightfully alludes to the songs essentially speak for themselves. It did get people talking about U2 again, which positive or negative generated a wave of publicity for them.
    What about comparing it to SOE at least? That's far more reasonable...? -Just- 3 years later

Edit: Sorry just saw your post about SOE haha
  7. Originally posted by Welsh_Edge:[..]
    What about comparing it to SOE at least? That's far more reasonable...? -Just- 3 years later

Edit: Sorry just saw your post about SOE haha
    I'm glad I could retrospectively answer it for you! Haha